“Good food, absolutely terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #242 of 1,884 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian
Description: The Coia family opened their first cafe in Dennistoun in 1928, and ever since then Coia's Cafe has been a favourite meeting place for local people, both young and old. The very first Coia's Cafe, originally on the corner of Duke Street, was owned by Carmine and Amalia Coia. Nicky and Ena Coia took over in the 1950's. In that time they took the business to the next level by introducing confectionery and a larger menu. During the 1980's the ownership transferred to the current owners - Alfredo and Antonia Coia, the third generation of the family to run the business. In 2006, the well known local landmark entered a new era by expanding into the newly built premises next door and by extensively refurbishing the existing cafe. This now includes the new takeaway food section and excellent delicatessen. Coia's Delicatessen is always worth a visit, offering a full off-licence with a large choice of imported wines. The new space also allowed the expansions of the ice cream section, selling Coia's famous homemade Italian ice cream. Coia's Cafe today provides it's loyal customers with an extensive menu to accommodate every occasion and satisfy every taste. We've worked hard to ensure that every dish on the menu is a dish that we are proud of. To mention the great selection of pastas and pizzas, fresh seafood and mouthwatering meat dishes is to only to scratch the surface. We also takes great pride in offering many fantastic 'chef's specials' every single day for you to try. We also recommend that you take advantage of our extensive and unique range of wines, selected personally by Alfredo. To this day, we still pride ourselves in four basics:- friendly attitude, politeness, cleanliness and high quality food. We promise an experience the whole family can enjoy.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good food, absolutely terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was looking forward to my lunch at coia's and sat down to meal with a smile on my face. I would like to say I left with my smile intact, but I would be severely lying. Firstly we sat for about 10 mins before someone abruptly asked "has anyone seen to your drinks". One member of my party asked for a pot of tea, then I said I would like a jug of water with 4 glasses. He never asked the other two in my party if they would like and drink and walked away. We then spent 5 mins trying to grab one of the waiters attention to complete the drinks order, and then ordered our food. Drinks came and they brought 4 glasses of water, not a jug which I finished prior to meal, as it took so long to come. He also put the pot of tea down, with no sugar or milk and before we could get a word out he was off. We collared another waiter eventually to bring over sugar and milk. No apology, in fact he had a look on his face to say, he had been inconvenienced. I asked if I could have another water as he put the, delayed order down. I waited and waited, no sign off water 10 minutes later, I got attention of same waiter and said could I have a glass of water please. Again no apology, and it took another 5 mins to come, ended up having to drink a sip of someone else's drink because I was choking. the best of it was, I could see the bar and they were standing chatting while my water was on bar, prepared and was waiting to be served. During the whole visit there was not one "please" "thank you" or "anything else for you". Initially I gave them the benefit of the doubt as it was busy when we started eating, but it had quietened down during the meal,the food was good, but I won't be eating there again, as if I am going to pay over 100 for a lunch I expect at the very least basic customer service. There are far better places in Glasgow which are cheaper, better quality of food and have better service (it would be hard to beat what I experienced, service wise)

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Italian in Glasgow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good Italian food in a so, so neighbourhood. The've been there since 1928 for good reason. We had a late lunch. Service was excellent, thin pizza was great, seafood very tasty. Real Italians serving us real Italian food. Highly recomended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Outstanding every time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have been coming to Coia's for a number of years now and have never been disappointed. The restaurant, staff, food and wine are exceptional, whether you choose from the vast selection on the menu, or from the daily specials, you will be delighted with the high quality and quantity of the food you receive. We live about 35 mile from Coia's, but it is definitely worth the trip.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bonnie Scotland
“Authentic Italian Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I have visited this establishment many times, most recently in April.
I have had most things on the menu and would say that everything on the breakfast and lunch menu that I have tried are outstanding.

Very attentive service and not the cheapest but value for money for the standard of food delivered.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mr coia is ungrateful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My granddaughter had fallen asleep in pram on the way to meet my father at Coias. When I arrived the waiter said it was fine to leave her in the pushchair for obvious reasons. The pushchair obstructed the table next to mine but there were other free tables available for others. The waiters then proceeded to completely ignore us, giving us no menus and continually walking by our table. Mr Coia made it quite clear he was unhappy about the obstructed table by aggressively grabbingthe cutlery from it, I assume his way of letting us know he was unable to use the table. We sat for 10 minutes to be completely ignored. I got up to leave with my father, my 3 year old very hungry granddaughter and younger granddaughter in the pushchair. Mr coia even had the cheek to hold the door open for me. I will never go back. I eat in there usually one a month along with the hundreds of pound I spend at Christmas on gift vouchers. I am an experienced restaurant manager who understands that every guest is important and customer service means tailoring your service to meet most individuals. This was the most shocking treatment I have received. My granddaughter left very hungry. Don't you have children Mr Coia?!? DISGRACE !

Visited March 2013