“Gone way downhill” 2 of 5 stars
Review of NanaKusa

NanaKusa
Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3LG, Scotland (Anderston)
0141 332 6303
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #135 of 1,884 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Anderston
Glasgow
“Gone way downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I used to really like this place. I love sushi, and it is difficult to find in Scotland. This used to be the best option in Glasgow. If a bit pricey. We usually have a noodle dish as well, but the meat here has always tasted a bit old. I had a meal here a few months ago that was disappointing. My husband tried a bento for the first time, it was full of cheap raggedy old veg and tired bits of sushi roll. The fish in my sushi was not fresh. And 2 out of 4 pieces of each maki were 90% rice. After this experience, I have not been so eager to return. Then, a few weeks ago, I ordered sushi to take away. It was terrible. Again not fresh. Again too much rice. And very, very sloppy. Nigiri was rubbery, and every roll was open and falling apart. I'm not usually too fussed about presentation, if the food is good. But this wasn't worth eating. I reluctantly decided not to return despite years of satisfaction. No sooner had I decided- then my husband was given a gift voucher for Nanakusa. We will return once more. But not excited. I expect this will be our last visit unless they've changed their chef. And their attitude.

Visited September 2013

Hong Kong, China
“Decent Japanese in the centre of Glasgow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Whilst the food was ok and the service attentive and swift, I can't get excited by this restaurant. It could be the uncomfortable seating or the slightly strange lighting, but I didn't feel the love the other recent reviewers have felt. I wouldn't advise not to go, but perhaps many years in Asia have left my standards a little higher.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the minute you walk in the door, the staff at NanaKusa welcome you with a warm smile and hello. The dining space has a lovely interior and the general atmosphere feels relaxed. Even with the open kitchen, the place still feels calm!

I have been to NanaKusa a number of times, yet I am still amazed by the selection in the menu. I have been to NanaKusa with my partner, so we tend to opt for the sharing platters which can range from 8 to 18 pieces of sushi. The platters are presented beautifully in a Japanese styled wooden box- and the sushi is arranged with much thought. The sushi itself tastes extremely fresh, and satisfying. My favourite is the tempura california sushi roll. I could have this over and over again! As well as this, NanaKusa have a lot of fish and seafood on the menu- and from my experience it all tastes fantastic.

I also recommend the plum wine. The sweetness of the wine complements the sushi and it tastes delicious!

I would definitely give this place 10/10. All sushi lovers in Glasgow should visit this place!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“5 stars all round ! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is our favourite place to eat in Glasgow, the food is amazing and the atmosphere and staff are lovely, looking forward to our next visit.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Magic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I just can't not to post another review about this restaurant. Every time the food is just fabulous! I think I've been there for 6 or 7 times already but the food was always the same good (or actually just getting better and better??). Staff is very friendly and the place has this amazing vibe of a modern restaurant - the interior is just so simple and ties in with the meals, I just feel so refreshed after I've been there.

It's always clean - that's my number one requirement! Loving the fact that you can see the kitchen. I've probably had all my top 3 best meals in this restaurants - please don't change your chefs!!!:)

• Visited September 2013