“Try the Chicken Dosa with Lenthil Curry and Butter Chicken” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 1,974 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night Food, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Edinburgh
“Try the Chicken Dosa with Lenthil Curry and Butter Chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am basically from India and I think this is traditional authentic Indian restaurant. Its a tapas style restaurant, where you can oder 4=-5 dishes for 5 pounds, which is a great deal and the food is very authentic and of high quality unlike other Indian restaurants in Scotland. Most Indian restaurants in Scotland are not authentic as the food is prepared according to British tastes (with less spices and chillies). But Mother India Cafe is very different, just try it once and you will endup going there every time you are in Glasgow and Edinburgh

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Glasgow
“Delicious food, but unenjoyable.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

First of all, the food here was delicious. Each dish was better than the last. However...

I can cook good food at home, I go out to eat on a Saturday evening for the ambience, the atmosphere, to experience something that I won't get at home. The buzz. I pay 40+ pounds for this experience.

My whole experience at Mother India's Cafe was marred by the service. Waiting staff peered through the partition every two minutes during the 38 minutes we were seated. There is no booking so there was a queue down the block (a testament to the food) and you are conscious the whole time that wait staff are wanting a quick turnaround and so is everyone else staring at you and waiting for you to finish. It was over the top. I don't mind a booking where they ask you to vacate by a certain time, but this was outrageous. The cost for the time spent and the feeling we had to gulp wine and gobble this lovely food just ruined the whole experience. It seems greedy of the owners that they put their staff and customers in this position. Food should be more about the experience rather than shovelling calories in. Oh, and a note the waitress who took the bill fold before we had paid--everyone knows that you wait to see a credit card or cash peeking out before you grab it two seconds after you put it down. Jeez, I've got indigestion just thinking about how rushed through we were.

We won't be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Asif A, General Manager at Mother India's Cafe, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi my name is Asif and i'm the GM off the Mother India Group.
First off all please accept my apologies for the way your evening worked out.
The last thing we want to do is to make customers feel as if they are being rushed.
We wouldnt have had the success we have had with the cafe or any other business if it wasnt for our customers.
I do hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.
I will DM you my email address and hopefully if you do visit us again i will make sure service is up to the standards set by the company.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Went as a group of 12 people and the restaurant was busy but not full. It took 20 minutes for everyone to receive drinks and menus which wasn't a great start. I ordered the chicken curry and it was a bit bland. My friend ordered the same but asked for it to be extra spicy, it turned out exactly the same as mine - not very spicy at all! Was also an incredibly noisy place! Didn't live up to the hype I'm afraid!

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Asif A, General Manager at Mother India's Cafe, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Hi my name is Asif and I'm the GM off the Mother India Group.
Im sorry to read about the experience you had at one off our restaurants .
Was it the cafe you went to or Mother India?
I will look into this as soon as i have the details
Perth, United Kingdom
“it was the best of meals, it was the worst of meals.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

apologies to Mr. Dickens and to my fellow reviewers who were less than euphoric; however for sheer taste, variety and freshness I have to say it was one of the best Indian meals we've had.
maybe it was becuase the restaurant was busy and we chose the specials so that freshness and availability was at the top of the scale.

the buttery papadoms, the coriander nan and the ginger lamb were just great; my tastebuds are not the most discerning but I couldnt mistake the flavours and the big chunks of lamb were fat free and tender.

enough for repletion for 2 and £20 - ye cannae wack it - either its just plain good or we hit it on an exceptional day

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Indian Tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Mother Indias cafe is a very friendly restaurant that allows you to order Indian dishes in a tapas fashion and sample lots of different dishes. We went with two children and the choice for them was excellent, lovely chicken pieces that the boys loved. Unfortunately you can't book so pick your time and either be prepared to wait or go early. Indian food at its best!

• Visited April 2013