“Not what expected” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Johnstone, United Kingdom
“Not what expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited tonight for my 28th birthday after hearing by a few people good review I figured I'd try it out for my birthday I left feeling dissapointed.

Appearance - wow Ancient wee lounge decoration very dated I thought ill try and see by it but overall not happy.

Service - quite slow had to wait a while for our order to be taken, and for collection of money which sat on Table until my partner alerted someone.

Menu- prices atrocious for a pub we got for starters liver pâté around £6 and scallops £9 . Liver pâté wasn't that tasty I've bought nicer for a lot cheaper and not much scallops for £9. Main beef curry £10 tasty like one out a jar , chicken salad £11 ok my Partner enjoyed this so in total including drinks we spent nearly 50quid!!

We could have went to a fancy restaurant for this price not happy one bit since it was my birthday after all wish I realised it was only just a pub I was going to wont make that mistake again.

Overall I think if the prices were reasonable more people would be happy just don't know how they can justify charging theses prices or is it just me ??!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We have visited many times and were glad the menu had changed as it had been the same for a long time! We shouldn't have been! Much of the menu was the same except the price had gone up by at least a couple of pounds. My husband ordered the old faithful lasagne. The pasta itself was ok but it was served with about 8 oven chips! When you are paying almost £10 for a pub favourite you are at the very least expecting some homemade chips. The service was very slow and as the decor has not changed in a decade the was very little to justify the price hike. We left more than a little disappointed after what was meant to be our holiday Monday treat! Will travel further from home the next time!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Nice but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Went here for Father's Day. Food as usual was of a high quality. As usual the price of the food was pretty high. It has been a family favourite for years now, but of the prices of the food and drink carry on increasing as much as they do then it will become a distant family memory.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, United Kingdom
“Sunday late lunch/eary dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

2 mains 2 buds and a mineral water, £26, a bit over priced for Macaroni and chips and a lamb curry. It was a special children's day at the hotel when we came in about 6pm, so there was lots of families with plenty of children. The place was really busy with lots of what looked like extra inexperienced staff. The service was however very attentive, considering how busy it was. The meals themselves were a bit ordinary. The lamb curry came with rice and a small bit of pitta bread. For £9 it could have done with a bit of mango chutney or spiced onions and maybe more pitta or a small papadam. The lamb itself was spicy and tasty. The Macaroni was adequate but a bit expensive for what it was.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paisley, United Kingdom
“"Terrific Meal"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Girlie night for a great cause, the food was fantastic, a really relaxed atmosphere, brilliant and attentive service. I would definitely recommend dining here - their new menu is excellent. I loved the fact that we could retire to the snug for drinks and quality conversation. Overall a great night!

• Visited May 2013