“I really loved it.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
scotland
“I really loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's such a shame to see all these bad reviews recently, because I really haven't had this experience with Church on the Hill! A few years ago I had my 21st family dinner there and they couldn't be more accommodating, the food was amazing back then and the service was fantastic. I actually hadn't been back since due to the fact I don't really visit that part of Glasgow very often and it's a lot easier for me to just dine in the city centre. When I seen the deal on itison I thought it was a great excuse to go back!!

This was actually going to be my first day leaving the house in a month (I currently have a debilitating illness which has confined me to my bed for the last four weeks) , so I called and made an appointment for the next day and the man on the phone was very polite and chatty.

On the day our table was booked, I took a bad turn and had to rest which meant I couldn't make it for the afternoon. I had a wee bit of trouble getting through to them but once I got through there was a different guy on the line and he was just as lovely. He was very understanding and showed true sympathy for my condition and was more than happy to change the lunch booking to an evening dinner booking.

When we arrived, the staff couldn't be more accommodating, they asked me if I was feeling better and also gave me and my fiancé a booth which was closer to the kitchen so we were kept warmer. They also offered to bring in a heater if we felt uncomfortable which I thought was just so thoughtful of them.

We both ordered the macaroni and had two side orders also. We really loved it, it had loads of flavour and the chunky chips were great as a side.

We left feeling full, satisfied and the next day I was craving more. So I've definitely decided to make that little extra trip now and again to make some repeat visits!

Everyone has different tastes but I wouldn't let the bad reviews put you off. Take a visit and try it out for yourself!!

I also had a wee look on their website and seen that they are going to be opening a function room in the near future. If it has the capacity I'm looking for, it's definitely on the list of viewings for my wedding. If the service is as fantastic as it has been then I can't wait!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Needs to heat up tooo cold but food and service ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We enjoyed our meal and service was really good but we were freezing in the place which spoilt it a bit. Lovely building though and give a try as it may have sorted heating issue

Visited March 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perhaps okay for a drink, but not food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited with an ItIsOn voucher for two meals and two soft drinks. On arrival, it was very busy (understandable for a Friday night) and it wasn't altogether clear where to go if you have reserved a table. Once seated at our table, our drinks and food order were taken quickly, and the food came out within around five minutes (speedy!). We both had macaroni cheese and it was okay, not really as nice as expected and certainly didn't have a "parmesan and herb crust" as described in the menu. We were in and out within half an hour - the waiting staff seemed very rushed and a bit harrassed. Wouldn't visit again for food which is a shame, as it's a stunning building and has a lot of potential.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Mediocre but nice enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice inside if a bit noisy, food was mediocre but good service and not very expensive. Good if passing but I wouldn't plan to go back for dinner. Prob better for drinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Trendy pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Visited Church On The Hill a dozen times, usually for a drink. Good for a lively atmosphere/sports pub. Very noisy in the evenings; music played way too loud.
Food is OK for pub grub - definitely NOT to be considered as a restaurant; priced to suit.
Staff have always been pleasant.
Toilets disappointing/disgusting (need improved, more frequently cleaned).
Good range of drinks and very nice house wine.

• Visited December 2012