“Experience more than just good food at Fanny Trollopes.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fanny Trollope's

Fanny Trollope's
1066 Argyle Street, Glasgow G3 8LY, Scotland (West End)
+44 141 564 6464
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 1,839 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Enjoy some of Scotland's finest seasonal produce in a friendly atmospheric and busy neighbourhood bistro, popular with locals. We specialise in fish, seafood, Scottish beef and lamb, fowl and game.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Experience more than just good food at Fanny Trollopes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I have been regular vistors to Fannys' for years, and have seen many changes to the place, not just with the decor and the menus but with the staff also. The excellent food at Fannys has always been a constant as has the attitude of the staff. Our visits to Fannys this year have been fewer this year due to illness to myself, (Gall Bladder), however upon returning recently Harry and his colleagues were both welcoming and concerning towards us.

The food is not only very good but quite unique. The home made soups and pates` are wonderful and the main courses are always very tasty and never presented as standard but always as indiviual dishes. On our most recent visit I had pate` & brioche to start and my wife had stornoway black pudding with ham hough and poached egg, Both plates were very tasty and my request for some extra bread was met with no concern, something which in other restaurants has caused real concerns.

We ordered sea bream and Ayrshire chicken for the main courses. Both were presented as full plates and indeed the sea bream came on a bed of spicy kedgeree, obviously home made as the spice was slightly strong but exactly as it should be. Not much point in using spice that doesn't have a kick. Again our request to have the crepes served with just ice cream for dessert was met with positivity, and not as if it was a request for the takings in the till.

We are lucky enough to know Gary & Harry at Fannys and as such we can give feedback onsite, however I think that people should know how good the food and the dining experience at Fannys actually is. Just give it a try. You can bring your own bottle for a small cover charge, a throwback to the original days here. Friday & Saturday nights at Fannys can be loud and busy, it suits me fine but may not be to everybodys liking. The extra charge for veg has never been to our liking but from a business point of view I can just about understand it.

The dining experience at Fannys has kept us coming back for years, my wife has made an art form of people watching in between courses as the venue is small and intimate. You can't do that in most of the places I've tried in the west end.

• Visited November 2013

• Greek first
“A Wonderful Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

What a great place! The service was warm and attentive. The food simply delicious; with the freshest of ingredients and cooked to perfection. This truly deserves a 5 star rating- cannot wait to return!

Los Gatos, California
“The best possible sampling of Scotland's indigenous culinary selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Harry, you are a godsend.
But a week ago, my older brother and I visited Scotland, on our first excursion to Europe. Finding much of the fare in Glasgow not at all dissimilar to Stateside cuisine , we were hard pressed to experience dining that was expressly Scottish. Fortunately, a friendly young bartender at the hotel in which we stayed provided an answer to our biting inquiry:
"Fanny Trollope's," a small, traditional restaurant managed by a friendly, knowledgeable Glaswegian named Harry. While the utterance of the name was enough to make a Yankee snicker (from what we understand, it was accidentally and hilariously listed among bordellos), our experience was nothing short of religious.
Reservations made by the concierge, we cabbed it to the west end of Glasgow, a far cry from the heavily trafficked Merchant's Square. Situated across from a Tesco's and several shady looking pubs, the inconspicuous Fanny Trollope's stood in verdant glory. Save for a party of eight, We were the only guests at the establishment. We were cordially directed to a clean booth under the gaze of a local artist's painting. The other patrons' volume seldom ascending to a low roar, my brother and I were able to devote our senses to the ensuing feast.
The menu is limited, but this is among FT's many virtues. The evening began (if memory serves) with smoked salmon, cooked freshly, and presented cleanly without pretensions, accompanied by fresh arugula, you'd be most fortunate to discover in the States.
The main course was comprised of two pan seared saddles of sea bream, paired lovingly with chorizo and a delicate curry rice. While the petite bream seldom impresses elsewhere, Harry knows exactly how maximize its potential.
If my plate was something of a religious experience, my brother's was a Mosaic experience of God Himself. Having ordered the pot roast, left to braise for seven hours, his expressions changed to something euphoric, declaring the meal the best he ever had. He would only be saddened by the fact that the experience had to end.
We paid our compliments to the chef/ maître'd, who remained so humble in spite of our adulations.
Dessert: given the current diet, dairy and gluten are mostly verboten. While no accommodation existed on the working menu, Harry assured me that the staff could make do. What I received was a concoction called "the messy boy," a dollop of sweet cream smothering bits of fruit and merengue, on a bed of sweet black currant jam. While the dairy was still present, its presence was minimal enough to keep my regimen intact.
When all was said and done, the master himself called us a cab.
You're a good man, Harry.

London, United Kingdom
“Good grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

A good place for a meal in the West end without being one of the best. The pre theatre meal is very good value and the service friendly and efficient. I'd have given it 3.5 if I could have.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went for lunch through 5pm, food was lovely, the service was very good, friendly and polite. They give you a wee break between courses so you don't feel you have to rush.
The place looks very clean and cozy. The only thing is that they charged us for the glass of wine that was included in the 5 pm menu.
We'll definitely come back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere