“Shish disappoints with price hikes.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shish Mahal

Shish Mahal
66-68 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF, Scotland (West End)
+44 141 334 7899
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #140 of 1,838 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian, Asian fusion, Pakistani
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West End
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Shish disappoints with price hikes.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Ive been a customer for years,have commented here before and still maintain it is the best curry you will get but last nights visit was disappointing when I saw the substantial price increases since my last visit.Normally a meal for two with a bottle of house wine would have been about £35 to £40 but across the board rises have pushed this to about £50.In addition I thought the portion sizes had decreased.
The meal itself,presentation and friendly staff cannot be faulted and I accept prices are rising all over but at £50 for a Monday night dinner I felt it may be a long time before I go back.The place was packed after 7.30 so book your table.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
glasgow
“Can Be Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

the meal was lovely and the staff are very attentive but it can be pricey especially for a group of 4, if you don't mind the price it is a great eat

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The original and the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A curry in Glasgow, surely not a difficult task! The omni present Ashoka chain dominates and after being a fan for so long I've eventually had enough and looked elsewhere. Balbirs Church Street is too unreliable, Mother India cafe great but always busy and no booking so no good for me who won't wait outside on the pavement. So I tried the Shish last night, one of the established 'old' curry houses in Glasgow established in 1962!

Thursday night, 90% full. Says it all really. I hadn't booked but they squeezed me in for a business dinner. The first thing that strikes you is the average age of the waiters, which is older. I'm used to curry houses full of 20 somethings, but these guys were not. Experienced, very very polite and immaculately turned out. Before a drink was served, or a starter ordered you knew this was a cut above the rest.

Food was superb. Mixed starters fantastic, and the waiters own choice of a chicken dish and a lamb dish were really really good. Cobra beer on tap.

It's more expensive than your average Indian Restaurant. £55 for 2 but the food quality and service make it worthwhile

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
“This is OUR restaurant. Has been for 42 years. Luv it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I introduced my then boyfriend to 'the Shish' more than 42 years ago. Now married, we visit only for the 'business lunch'. The reason for this is that the portions in the evenings are now too big for us, and we would need to have one between 2. The meals over lunch is consistently of a high standard. We have a different starter, usually pakora and the sizzling chicken chat, which we then share and swap. Pompadoms and onions. We always ask for a 'well done' Naan (superb) and and extra gravy to dunk the Naan. Then ice cream, then the best coffee. Also a Cobra (for him) and a wine , or 2 for me.
And change from £40. Excellent value.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
south africa
“Down memory lane today as we have been eating in this restaurant for 48 years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Started eating here over 45 years a go when it was a one roomed tenement in Gibson street....... we were all students and this was one of the cheapest places who gave you huge portions! We have been in South Africa for 41 years and when we come back once a year a visit is not complete with out a visit to the Shish . Still as good as ever.........keep up the excellent friendly service and the even better food. See you next year.

Visited July 2013