“Excellent Scottish Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ubiquitous Chip

The Ubiquitous Chip
12 Ashton Lane, Glasgow G12 8SJ, Scotland (West End)
(0141) 334 5007
Neighborhood: West End
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Scottish Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

If you want well cooked traditional Scottish food, this is the place. There is the restaurant and Bistro as well as food available in the bar. We had an excellent meal in the restaurant with pleasant surprises. The staff were very friendly and only too pleased to explain items on the menu. There is a varied wine list at prices to suit most pockets. The food was excellent and cooked to order. Our only regret was that we could not return as we were leaving Glasgow the next day. Booking essential.

Visited August 2014

Richmond, Surrey
“Lovely meal at the Ubiquitous Chip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

With only 1 evening in Glasgow, there was no hesitation that our destination would be the restaurant at the Ubiquitous Chip, and we indeed had a very good meal.
The staff are friendly and extremely knowledgeable (we followed our waiter's advice and were not disappointed!), and the atmosphere of the restaurant is relaxed but professionally run.
We both had the Scallops starter, which was beautifully light and cooked to perfection, and followed that with the Roe Deer, which was just gorgeous and melted in the mouth. We couldn't resist a portion of Stovies on the side, which went very well with the venison.
All in all, we had a very good meal, and we'll be back again next time we are in Glasgow - what better recommendation can I give?

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Location but the food a little off”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Any trip to Glasgow should not be complete without at trip out to the University and drink/ refreshment at Ashton Lane. I repeated a trip with the extended family to this restaurant; something I had done 10 years previously on a Stag Do. The place and ambiance of the UC was just as I had remembered it but I felt the food was a little bit of a let down (small portions and a little over cooked). Yes perhaps with younger children in tow and the pressure of the Commonwealth Games masses it wasn't the perfect timing but still we were a little disappointed.

Visited August 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Posh nosh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I recently visited U Chip for my birthday with family. The food was fab. I had the quail egg salad to start, a huge fillet steak for my main with an amazing béarnaise sauce. My oatmeal ice cream was heavenly. I really wasn't sure what to expect, it was fantastic. I'll definitely be back for a treat or two.

Muncie, Indiana
“Pleasant for a one-top, too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Ditto to every spectacular thing said in these reviews about the exceptional food, wine, decor, and service. Something else that placed this restaurant up on the charts for me was the treatment I received as a solo diner: they bade me welcome, provided a nice table that afforded a good view, and gave service that was neither rushed nor condescending, but always friendly and informed. In other words, the same treatment given to couples or larger parties. One would wish that service model went without saying for 'groups of one', but often that is not the case. One service person asked if I would like a newspaper but I declined so I could focus on the enjoyment of the excellent meal. I would go back again for the food but it was doubly-nice not to be seated by the kitchen door or behind a plant and to feel that I could linger as long as I wished. Thanks, Chip staff!

• Visited July 2014