“Consistently good restaurant.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 1,839 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
“Consistently good restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Having dined regularly in this restaurant since it opened I have never been disappointed with the food, good service and pleasant atmosphere. Always a joy to eat in.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had 2 visits over the weekend to this well established south side venue.

Fantastic tratorria style food,great service and good selection of house wine.

Specials menu was delightful, Ravioli with 7 hour slow cooked Ox cheek ragu, was truly wonderful.

Shall return soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“One of Glasgow's best restaurants.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I am a regular diner at the battlefield rest and after tonight's meal I felt compelled to write this review.

The battlefield rest has mastered the art of good food at good prices. The staff are friendly and attentive and the food is always amazing. The lunch and pre-theatre menus are excellent value for money, with no compromise on quality or portion size.

It is good to have a local restaurant which consistently provides such satisfaction.

Look out for the pavlova if it's available!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Italian food in the south side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place is always busy so book from a Monday lunch to Saturday night it can be full . Downside sometimes when you book you still need to wait for your table at the door and service sometimes is rushed not polished but on to the food top class very big menu so lots to choose from some unusual dishes not your average Italian that are pretty much all the same. The best in the south side of Glasgow

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame about the service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is not the first time we visited and I am sure it will not be our last but today we were very shocked by the service.

We went for lunch where they have an excellent value one course and a drink for £6.00. I asked the waiter what the Pasta of the Day was and he stood by while I discussed with my partner if he was going to choose that (it was something he would enjoy and we always like to choose different dishes). He chose to have the Black Pudding Salad so I chose the pasta. So when two Black Pudding Salads turned up we were a bit shocked and told the waiter the order was wrong. He argued with us but agreed to change it but left my partner's dish in front of him!

To make matters worse I overheard him protesting his innocence in a loud voice to his colleague making us feel even more awkward than we already did.

Eventually my pasta was served and it was delicious.

Next calamity was the presentation of our bill which was quite clearly for the neighbouring table, who had already been given their bill minutes before we requested ours. We pointed out the mistake to the waiter who then raced around and grabbed the bill from the other table without any word of apology to the diners there.

Suffice to say we did not leave a tip. If it wasn't for the fact that this place is a great wee stop off point and serves delicious food I would be completely put off returning. I will however let some time pass before I return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere