“Best tapas tasted in Glasgow” 5 of 5 stars

189 Hope Street, Glasgow, Scotland
+44 141 237 7575
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Boca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 1,884 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Created by an owner who lived and worked in Spain to bring the real experience of Spanish tapas and it's bar/food culture to Glasgow. Spanish chefs bring you freshly prepared tapas and "racion" portions, with the same flavours you would experience in Spain. Whilst our buying team bring you produce direct from Spain. Reviewed by the Herald as "the best tapas in Glasgow"
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best tapas tasted in Glasgow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

They were fully booked as newly opened. Had tapas at Bar area really brought back memories of Barcelona and la rambles. Get in early, really good feeling it will be a hit.

• Visited April 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing !!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We visited here using an Itison voucher and it is one of the best deals we have had. We had 6 delicious tapas , e.g patatas bravas , cod , broken eggs to name a few and they were excellent. The tapas came out from the kitchen gradually which showed that they were all freshly made. There was a good selection of beers and Spanish wines all very well priced.
The place was full and very busy and we were in no rush . The atmosphere was great and the staff worked so so hard yet had time to chat.
We are looking forward to returning again very soon.

• Visited April 2014
“Auténtico Spanish ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

As soon as you walk in you are brought back into a authentic Spanish tapas bar with his fridge display at the front of the bar, showing a variation of cold tapas. Of course not missing Spanish beer on draught and the wine selection is brilliant, we had a Ribera del Duero, I could always recommend it to anyone, you might pay your extra ten pounds on top but it's totally worth it, yummy. As Spanish as I am it was in my interest to try a wide variation of tapas I had around 10 tapas dishes from secreto ibérico to gambas pil pil. The Gambas are the best I've ever tried in any Spanish restaurant around Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow ect...) the size is just perfect and you can literally taste that they are NOT left in water to soak just to get them to a decent size, NO. About the secreto ibérico i don't even want to start, it melts on your tongue. Short version about the food it's authentic Spanish, so tasty and for what you pay, madre mía, you must be really picky to complain... The service was also excellent, we were welcomed by the owner, what I didn't know at that moment. He really knew how to take care of his clientele. The other waiter we had was also very attentive, his smile made my day, hehe. Well to round everything off visit La Boca and experience it on your own, I guess no regrets will surge. Have a nice meal everyone :-) ...

Stephen G, Owner at La Boca, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to La Boca so much.
The prawns that you highlight have been the most difficult product I have sourced, as I wanted to make sure that they were as good as you found them. So it's very rewarding to read how much you appreciated them :-) :-)
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Glasgow
“Good food, but a little underwhelmed overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I visited la Boca on a Monday evening to try and get in the mood for our Spanish holiday in a few weeks. We were really excited after reading all the hype about La Boca, and had an Itison voucher to use. However, while we enjoyed our meal overall we were left feeling a little underwhelmed by the whole experience. Perhaps our expectations were too high? After all tapas is meant to be simple!

Some of the food was delicious like the Iberico pork – although I wish they had told me it was cooked pink as I’m pregnant and after eating a bite and realizing had to give it to my husband to polish off (not that he minded). The patatas bravas were also really nice, although they aren’t served with a sauce as described, more of a mayo type dressing dolloped on top (which is yummy). However, some of the food was just ‘ok’ like the patatas la pobre – this was greasy and completely devoid of flavour due to lack of seasoning. The aubergine with honey was also a bit ‘meh’ as the aubergine was watery and the batter a little soggy – although I did love the flavor of the sugar cane honey. My husband did enjoy his meatballs, especially the sauce they are served in.

However, the service is what really let our visit down. There were only 2 other tables and a couple of people at the bar while we were in, but everything was so disorganized. We had staff coming to take our food order twice, and sat with empty glasses for over half of our meal (during which time no one checked on us). We had to ask for the olives that were meant to be included in our deal, and also had to ask for the bill after sitting waiting for 10-15 mins (when the waitress knew we didn’t want to order anything else). I also assume that the system works by the chef standing at the door and looking through the window to catch the attention of the waiting staff when food was ready. At one point he had been standing for so long he actually brought a dish out to us himself!

The part that annoyed me the most was the final bill though – our itison deal included six tapas and olives, and we ordered a couple of extra tapas so we could try lots of different things (fully expecting not to finish it all lol). When the bill came the staff had charged us for some of the more expensive tapas rather than the cheaper ones. I kind of half expected it as after all it’s a money grabbing trick, but it did leave me with a sour taste.

I’d give La Boca 3.5 out of 5 overall, but as I can’t do that settled for 3 – the food is definitely a four (maybe even a 5 if you order well) but service a 3 at best which brings it down after all. We would return though as conscious they’ve only been open for 6 weeks or so – hopefully it’s just a case of everyone getting used to the restaurant and how it works, or maybe they had an off night :) they are definitely better than the likes of La Tasca!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stephen G, Owner at La Boca, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. Although I, like you was also left a little underwhelmed after the event.
It was unfortunate that you experience was so different to most of my other customers, and also that you didn't feel comfortable enough to express your thoughts to me personally when I asked you if everything was ok with your meal.
Rather than address all your points, I'll address the one the annoyed you the most. When it comes to charging for extra itison customer food, we simply charge anything after the first six dishes ordered .....believe me we are too busy to go through every order trying to find the most expensive items, it's also just not worth it, as your post shows.
Perth, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and warm hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My partner and I were in Glasgow to see Omid Djalili at The Kings, and decided to stay at Citizen M. I checked Trip Advisor to find somewhere close-by for a pre-theater meal, and although La Boca wasn't my first choice, can I just say I'm so glad our first choice was fully-booked! The only thing is, we weren't sure where on Hope Street to find it! I can't quite remember the number (189?) but I will say it's the block after West Regent Street, and it's on the right as you head down Hope Street.

We arrived at about 17.40-early on a Saturday evening- without a reservation, to find that although they opened only 5 weeks ago they were fully booked (tells you how good they are!) Still, Steven offered us a seat at the window or the bar, which we gratefully accepted. We chose the window- the perfect spot for watching the world go by.

We ordered 5 tapas - olives and alioli; tomatoes with goats cheese; prawns pil pil; a special- deep fried baby squid; and the 'Secreto Iberico'- black pig. It was all delicious, but the special and the pork especially so. The batter on the squid was light and crispy, and the pork, wow. Succulent, flavorsome and quite unlike any pork either of us have ever eaten. It also came on a bed of very crispy (and very salty!) fries. Yummy :) My other half said he'd happily have had a couple of extra portions of the pork if we hadn't had to rush to the theater. (Not, I hasten to add that the portions were small - they were perfectly sized- but when he finds something he really likes, he seems to find a second stomach!) I had last eaten tapas in Barcelona in a restaurant on Las Ramblas- La Boca was better in terms of taste, service, ambience, and value.

Our waiter was friendly (without being overbearing) and attentive. He happily brought me a glass of water, without the 'still or sparkling?' line, and it was even served with a slice of lemon.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time for puddings (though they sounded delicious) but we'll definitely try them when we go back.

Oh, and lastly- the bill. All the above, plus a portion of bread and 2 halfs of Estrella, and it only came to £22.50!!

Steven- thank you so much to you and your staff. Together you managed to deliver the perfect eating experience to us. We'll be back!

• Visited March 2014
Stephen G, Owner at La Boca, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thanks for your review. Delighted you enjoyed your visit so much. I hope the rest of your night was equally enjoyable