“A very comfortable place to stay with the warmest of welcomes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ivory Hotel

You added The Ivory Hotel to your Saves list
The Ivory Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2 - 4 Camphill Ave., Glasgow G41 3AY, Scotland   |
Ranked #23 of 39 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Scotland
“A very comfortable place to stay with the warmest of welcomes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Having read some of the reviews for The Ivory our expectations were not high but its location is ideal for Hampden Park where we were going to a concert. OK, perhaps some of the rooms could do with a lick of paint and the over bath shower isn't the most up to date BUT we had a lovely big room with bay window, perfectly clean and adequate bathroom.
When we arrived the bar was busy but had loads of cheery, helpful staff and service was quick, there were tables inside and outside and the conservatory was serving meals. The food here is lovely, not a huge menu but something for everyone and specials on the board, nor is it expensive at £12.95 for 2 courses.
There is a big car park which is very convenient and Hampden Park is only a 10minute walk.
It was explained to us that there would be a continental breakfast available as well as a cooked breakfast from 9am-10.30am, when we came down at 8.50am we were offered tea, coffee, orange juice to keep us going til cooked breakfast started, at 9am we ordered full Scottish breakfast which was excellent, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, potato scone, hash brown, tomato, beans, toast and butter....waiting staff kept coming past our table to see if we wanted any more tea or coffee. It was very good and a lovely place to sit and eat, opposite Queens Park, and watch the world go by.
Nothing was any bother to all the staff here and their friendly welcome made it certain this is where we will be staying next time we visit Glasgow, they should all be very proud of themselves, their welcome puts many more 'grander' places to shame.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Berwick-upon-Tweed
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Only complaint about our stay would be the ridiculous arrangements for breakfast. Cooked breakfasts are not available until 9am, but more realistically, 9.20am by the time the staff have finished coffee and chats and actually take orders from their customers. A "continental" breakfast is offered as a poor alternative, consisting of cereal. Unlikely to book again, unfortunately, due to this issue, as it made us late both days of our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms are very large. Not too noisy at the side. Check the bedside light is working.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Was surprised at some of the very negative reviews. Arrived and was treated very well. Bit noisy when you have to go through bar and a local folk group rehearsing 8-) Was in small room at the top and back of hotel. Quiet and very comfortable. Clean. Food that night was excellent - enjoyed the chicken goujons/spicy sauce. Service prompt and welcoming.

Only real negative: They really don't 'get the concept of a continental breakfast 8-) Rather than croissants, rolls etc, lots of fruit and different juices, cereals and yoghurts...there was: a small pack of Alpen, two black bananas, some orange juice. The night porter provided two slices of cold toast and a coffee that reminded me that it's 'Scotland's Oil'.... and this was all on offer 0530-0900hrs. Cooked breakfast not available until 0900-1030hrs which is silly when most meetings for which people come to Glasgow start at 0900!

Recommendations: sort the breakfast. Have cooked from 0730 at least. Needs a much more wider range of things for a real continental breakfast.

Other than the breakfast I thought the hotel was fine; welcoming and I enjoyed staying here. I will be back at the end of May! (I'll bring my own croissants...)

Room Tip: Room 6 at back and on top floor. Small but quiet and away from banging doors during night
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The people were very friendly and made my stay comfortable. I was very happy to be able to let my friend stay the last night, free of charge, because he had to take me to the airport really early and it would've been a hassle to be on time if he were to go home instead. They also still made me breakfast one day when I woke up too late! The hotel itself doesn't look all that fancy at first sight on the outside but the restaurant and the room looked great and were cosy. If my budget allows it and I return to Glasgow, I hope I can stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Strathkinness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We took my elderly parents and my sister and her husband for lunch. Greeted by pleasant waiter. Orders for good and drink taken timeously. Food arrived well presented and delicious. Each meal is obviously prepared individually and therefore fresh and hot. Prices are good. We were in conservatory which is nice.

• Stayed April 2013
Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed two nights for a wedding which was local and paid £40 per night. When i first arrived i can agree with one of the recent reviews, its looks like it could go a lick of paint and a good clean but when we got inside and checked in etc. we were happy. We stayed in room 1 and the bathroom was a bit of a downside, as i would say the showers need upgraded, but we were happy with it. Breakfast was good. All staff were nice and the location was great for us. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't see the hotel as the highlight of their stay, but does appreciate a nice place. The website says its a luxury hotel.. i think not, but very decent. Good value!

Room Tip: room 1 looked onto the car park and main road. Better view than some other reviewers and not too noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey Channel Islands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Just had one night here at a birthday party. It was horrible. The only good thing was that the rooms were quite big. Two double beds in my room. The view was a very messy flat roof and the backs of some scruffy neighbouring gardens. The carpets and curtains were really badly stained. The toilet didnt flush properly and the tiles in the bathroom were broken and cracked with grout missing and black mould patches. The lighting in the room was very dim as you had to keep the manky curtains shut as overlooking houses. One if the bedside lights didnt work. My friends room couldn't even draw the curtains as the dressing table is nailed to the floor or wall and their shower didnt work. Menu was good choice but poor quality.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Ivory Hotel? Share your experiences!