“Lovely apartments with friendly and efficient staff” 4 of 5 stars

38 Bath Street Serviced Apartments
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   38 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 1HG, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #17 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Glasgow
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Lovely apartments with friendly and efficient staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a regular guest at the Max Apartments in Glasgow, being a business traveller to the area who got sick of hotel food. I have experienced three of the serviced self catering apartments on offer, and there is a consistently high standard of decoration throughout. Two of the apartments were one bedroomed and one is 2 bedroomed but they all offer fairly spacious living quarters. Although most items of kitchenware is provided (crockery cutlery and pots and pans) there is no inventory as such so it is from staying in the different rooms that I know what can be provided. That said any time I have asked for something that I had before but was not available at the time, it was provided with good will and in most cases very promptly by the time I got back in the evening. My one ongoing issue is with the lights - quite often there are light bulbs out but again when I report them they are fixed promptly. I would happily recommend these apartments for business or leisure travellers, and believe them to be exceptionally good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked a 2 night stay for a one bedroom apartment. I booked it late, at 5pm on the day of arrival. Evetything was very straight forward getting into the building and room. When we got to the room everything seemed lovely apart from a couple of cracks and dirty marks on the walls. But as we looked about and setteled in we found kitchen unit doors were loose and hanging off. Alot of grout was missing from tiles on kitchen floor. The cooker hood sounds as if its going to take off. In the bedroom there was no bulbs in the bedside lamps. The dvd player doesnt work. In the bathroom one of the lights werent working and when my girlfriend went for a shower she found that the shower cubical door was hanging of and when she come out she cut her foot on the side of the shower tray as there was a bit of trim missing.

So all in there is alot wrong with the apartment. But it is nice enough

• Stayed January 2013
Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at the same place a couple of years ago when it had just opened, and the difference is collossal; in fact, it's difficult to know where to start, and even where to end. Like many other reviewers, I had problems with pre-arrival info from the company. I tried the contact details provided by booking.com, but mails bounced. It was only when I complained to the booking agency that the poperty company responded to give me comfirmation of our room type. I had pointed out on booking that I was travelling with a friend who uses a wheelchair, so we needed a guarantee that we wouldn't be given a split-level "mezzanine" flat. The day before our arrival date, we finally got the company's assurance that we would *of course* have a single-level. We arrived less than 24 hours later only to find... yes, we'd been allocated a split-level!

After some scrambling, we were given the keys to a single-level, two bedroom flat which was so filthy that we couldn't use the back bedroom until the next day, when I'd been able to clean it. The second bedroom faced the street and was slightly cleaner, but even though we were on the top floor, we couldn't sleep all night for the constant noise of buses, drunks and seagulls: soundproofing is non-existant and it's one of Glasgow's noisiest streets!

On cleaning the back bedroom the next morning, I turned up a large handful of hair, a coin from Abu Dabi, sweet wrappers and a scrunched up sock - all fully visible while standing in the doorway. The living room area was splattered with food and drink stains which rubbed off easily (in other words had just been ignored by the staff), and under the sofa we found a couple of plastic cups, more sweet wrappers and a couple of half-eaten crackers. Everywhere the hoover picked up hairs that had been worked into the carpet over goodness knows how long a period of time. Before I got cracking with the cleaning wipes and the hoover, this was the filthiest place I've ever stayed in, including budget youth hostels.

The woman at reception was very pleasant, but not particularly helpful. When I complained about the cleaning, I was told that the cleaning staff weren't there, but I could borrow a vaccuum cleaner if I liked (since the one in our flat was broken).The impression she gave was of a cheerful skiver who spent most of her time making private phonecalls and dodging off work early. One day in particular I mentioned to her that I was having shopping delivered that afternoon. Since there are no phones in the apartment, not even for incoming calls, I had to give the delivery service the number to the reception for access to the building. This wouldn't be a problem at all, she assured me, since she would be in reception until 5. At 4.25 I went down to ask her something else and found her heading out the door with her children. I had to put a note up on the door for the delivery service - though it turned out in the end that this wasn't necessary, since the door to the building was wide open when he arrived!

I honestly don't know if we were particularly unlucky, or if I was just particularly disappointed because I have a previous experience to compare with, but I wouldn't stay here again no matter what the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had a lovely 3 night stay in a one bedroom apartment from 7 December. The staff could not have been more friendly & helpful, although admittedly the reception is only manned during office hours Mon - Fri and we did not have any problems requiring action. The apartment was spotless with lovely big rooms and comfortable furniture - the bed was large and very comfy. The location was excellent, easy to walk to the shops and all the main attractions. We had friends in for drinks on the Friday evening and they were very impressed. Based on our experience I have no hesitation in recommending this location for a Glasgow visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

,the staff were so helpful and went out there way for us,we had a 2 bedroom apartment it was spacious and comfortable for all 4 of us.We do this every year usually in a hotel but with the service we received from here we have already booked up for next year to do it all over again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I arrived at the hotel after 24 hours on the road from Singapore, found out that the reception is only manned during office hour (Mon-Fri). Calling the phone on the door got me to an answering machine saying that it's outside office hour, so I waited for 30 mins on the street in a Nov night before a resident happened to return and let me in. Nobody at the reception, so called another number to get a code to the safe where the key was, but my key wasn't there!

Upon checking, they realized that they have requested the agent to relocate me to another apartment since too many rooms are leaking at Bath St, I should have received an email but I did - checked my email on the spot and it was not there. The guy on the phone couldn't tell me the arrangement, and so I called the UK agent (lastminute.com) to find out the arrangement. To cut a long story short, after an hour on the mobile, they found my record but not sure what is the arrangement, and suggested to me that I should wait till 2am (i.e. 9am in Singapore) for the Singapore agent to come into work to sort this out. At that time, I can only tell them what I think of this whole fisaco.

Although I have fully paid for my booking 2 months ago, I found myself no room, no information and no help. I promptly checked into another hotel, trying to get a refund from the Singapore agent (zuji.com), and I will avoid all these folks in the future as they are really unprofessional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was due to stay here for 2 nights in September and got an email from booking.com the day before saying that they had heard from the bath st apartments and there was a problem with the heating and was advised to rebook the Hilton garden inn and the apartments would pay the extra cost. This is now 5 weeks later and I have heard nothing from the company, booking.com are being quite helpful but I am still waiting for the refund. Very poor customer relations, they should have been in touch with me not have me chase it up.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 38 Bath Street Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!