“Cesspit” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Botanic Hotel

You added Botanic Hotel to your Saves list
Botanic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Alfred Terrace | Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 8RF, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #87 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Cesspit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Very confused as to how this place as achieved a lofty 98th position out of 108, as I cannot possibly imagine there are ten worse places on the planet, let alone Glasgow.
1/Staff incredibly rude and unhelpful.
2/Cash only.
3/"Hotel" not cleaned in decades.
4/Reception area is indicative of what to expect....early 1970's spring to mind, and untouched since.
5/Room....disaster zone....3" portable TV not working and if it was you would require magnifying glass to watch.No Towels and the thoroughly distasteful staff very reluctant to provide.Shower area filthy(immediately decided the en-suite area would only be visited in desperation/outbreak of War).Tea & Coffee facilities...pointless. Bedding, Bed and Pillows....not worth a mention....would have slept fully clothed on carpet, but terrified of what I may have seen underneath the bed and what may be living on the floor also.
6/Breakfast, unfortunately, (second thoughts....very fortunately as this certainly would have ensured a visit to Glasgows' Western Infirmary A & E due to food poisoning) was given a massive side step.I dread to imagine what food, cutlery and crockery would have been produced and I'm confident what could be found in the bins on Great Western Road, would have been more satisfactory.
7/Following morning...the (un)cleaning staff(I would use chambermaid, but I would rather not insult that profession), unlocked the room and just strolled in.Likewise 30 minutes later, and would offer no explanation apart from being particularly impolite and again 20 minutes later.

Never ever use this place, if it was free of charge, it would still be zero value for money.
A truly awful/nauseous experience for two people that have travelled the globe a few times over...the website should be made to be just a little reflective of what you have to go through, Health and Safety should be called in, Food inspectors and similar would have a field day.

A choice of the back streets of Kabul or the Botanic Hotel.....Kabul every single time.

Room Tip: Find another B & B is the best tip available
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

So wish we had read these reviews before entering this disgusting place. The staff were miserable and very unfriendly. We were also asked for cash on arrival and had no help with getting luggage up the never ending stairs. The room itself was filthy, no TV reception, electric socket was hanging out and dangerous, rotting window, the wardrobe fell apart when we tried to hang clothes up, no shower curtain, the carpet near the bathroom was sodden and there was one hand towel to use between us both! The beds were extremely uncomfortable and I tried not to think too much about how unclean they probably were. We didn't chance breakfast and left as soon as we could the next morning. In my haste to get out, I unfortunately left two items of clothing in the wardrobe. When I phoned I was met with the same delightful manner as we received in person and surprise surprise.....apparently there were no clothes left in the room!! I hope whoever took my dress and jacket enjoys a good night out in them! DO NOT STAY HERE....this place needs shut down.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

To be frank - I needed a room asap and this hotel was in the West End of Glasvegas which is actually very nice indeed. It was spoilt by the fact that the hotel was absolutely disgusting. When I arrived, I wasn't greeted with a smile or anything remotely enticing. I STUPIDLY paid for 3 nights upfront which was naive and pretty crazy considering they were throwing two lovely travellers from Spain who couldn't pay because yet again (shock horror) their card machine wasn't working. So these two left and slept on the streets. I could not believe the hotels ridiculous 5% credit card charges either. I paid in case but it seems everyone has to pay in cash. For what it's worth I have travelled the world entirely as a musician and have stayed in mud huts in Africa...never have I been so disappointed with a place. The hotel in it's entirety is awful. It's dirty - one review mentions the glasses with water etc in and funny enough I had just that experience. Three beds in my room (why the heck did I need three beds??) and the linen was almost as thin as A4 paper - sorry for the exaggeration. I'm not fat but the towels were fit for midgets and forget having a hot bath (although you probably wouldn't want to!) because the lack of hot water is appauling. Once I had arrived, I never saw anyone in the hotel ever again. Local businesses nearby know of the hotel as guests frequent their shops to buy food/relax etc and one of the other reasons was to have breakfast in the morning as my schedules were pretty busy. I wouldn't feed the breakfast to a DEAD DOG!! My baked beans were refrigerator cold and the selection was dismul. The cook (if such a grand title is needed for such a crime towards hospitality) was not interested and completely connected to the microwave. The tea was beyond unacceptable - I've had much better tasting water in africa. This place will and ought to be closed down.

The second day I was in my room packing to experience an almighty argument between male and female workers there - bad for business and just bad in general. The signs in the rooms state that breakfast is served a lot later than it actually is and the hoover goes from around 7am. Although to look at the place, you wouldn't believe they hoovered.

I could actually write tonnes more about this dive, I even thought about doing a creative writing piece because it was so bad it was almost hilarious. I don't wish to waste any more time writing about the place. I WOULDN'T recommend it and having studied the Trip Advisor reviews, I would suggest that when you see reviews that give it 4/5 and 5/5 that you look at the amount of reviews they've given before. Most of them - it's their only review and either they were blind, deaf and dumb or written by the hotel as the majority of their comments are 'this hotel is near the west end, provides amazing breakfast, unbeatable customer service and I will recommend this to my friends' and note that MOST of them have foreign names.

So....in short. I wouldn't feed a dead dog their food and I wouldn't put my worst enemy in this hotel. I would camp, beg, couch surf or drink through out the night to avoid what can only be described as Glasgow's worst hotel.

Stayed August 2012
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've been all over the world by now and this is honestly the worst place i've stayed in full stop! The fire extinguishers were last checked in 1997, im pretty sure thats illegal for a start, fire exit was blocked also. Not even getting to the room yet which was falling to bits dirty towels were left in the cupboard. We had no fresh towels for a shower in the morning either, which to be honest you wouldn't use the shower anyway as it was filthy. Can Glasgow City Council please shut this place down!

P.S There was a decaying sausage left at the window too.

Room Tip: Never Stay Here!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Robina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is the worst Hotel I have ever seen. Dirty is not a atrong enough word. Food hygiene non existant. Owners totally uncaring. I cannot understand how it has not been closed down.The view out of my window was of a yard totally overgrown and littered with all types of rubbish. My room was not clean with lolly papers and fluff around the bed. I had to ask for a towel. the shared toilet/bathroom was on another level, had no shower screen, no mounting for the flexible shower rose. no plug for the tub.the only window was propped open a couple of inches with half a toilet roll,the toilet was not secured to the floor so naturally it leaked when flushed. the advertised Full Scottish Breakfast did not exist, cereals were uncovered 24/7 and the milk supplied on 22nd August had a use by date of 20th August and was curdled, the staff on breakfast duty either did not speak English or pretended not to.
Please DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Westhill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in Scotland over several years and, without doubt, this one is, by far, the worst I have experienced.
On arrival, the surly 'receptionist' demanded cash in advance - not mentioned on any internet site -
prior to checking in. When I queried this, I was told we could go elsewhere - unfortunately, by that time, it was too late to try to find other accommodation.
We had booked 2 rooms. These happened to be on the top floor - no lift, no offer of help with luggage.

Room 1: Room not cleaned.
No towels
Toilet seat had large split at front.
No shower curtain - had to shower in room 2.
Large crack in wall.
No TV reception
Window insecure when opening/closing (dangerous) / loose, rotting woodwork.
Springs in thin mattress easily felt - poor nights sleep.
Despite adjusting valve on ,en-suite radiator, no heat came through.

Room 2: Room not cleaned.
No towels.
No cup.
Unable to lock door on exit.
The breakfast room was at least clean but the staff attitude was terrible. One of them tried to make porridge, having a distinct look of "What's that?" on her face. It looked like warmed water/milk mixture with bits of dirt floating on top - inedible. Milk taken away at 9.15 on the dot even when I wanted another cup of tea - woman not amused when I asked for it to be returned.
No one was at the desk when we checked out.
Incidentally, there is no parking despite what they suggest on-line.
The Hotel Inspector would have a 'field day' with this place!
In conclusion, give this 'hotel' a wide berth.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel - friends said that the Heritage Hotel next door was very good for the price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Fort William, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Snap. I totally agree with the other reviews. I cannot rate this hotel as the experience was so bad including my partner falling down the three flights of stairs from the bedroom and breaking her leg with no help from any of the hotel staff despite CCTV in the reception area. Breakfast was a non-event , one egg, one rasher of bacon and a cold cup of tea. An experience NEVER to be repeated again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Botanic Hotel? Share your experiences!