“Awful, the worst place I have ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Georgian House

Save Saved
You added The Georgian House to your Saves list
The Georgian House
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   29 Buckingham Terrace | Great Western Rd, Glasgow G12 8ED, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #18 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Newcastle
“Awful, the worst place I have ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the self catering apartment owned by the same people who have the Georgian House. We were really excited when we drove up this beautiful leafy road in the West end of Glasgow. Our excitement soon turned to horror as we walked into the 'mansion house'. It smelled of dampness, there was washing mashines, sofas, mirrors, you name it, lying around the hallway and landing. It was a death trap. We had taken our 16 month old baby and were worried about him crawling around as there was wiring hanging out from sockets and dead insects on the floor. I should have known something wasn't right as I couldn't find any photographs of it on any websites!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We were initially greeted by the host, Sue, who was absolutely lovely and extremely attentive. Be prepared to climb stairs...lots of them! The home was clearly older however, very clean. The rooms were somewhat dated but clean and comfortable nonetheless. I cannot, however, recommend this home as, through no fault of the host, it is by far the nosiest place that I have ever stayed. There is a bar directly across the street from the guest house and people are yelling and screaming at all hours of the night, not to mention the fact that it located on a major street in Glasgow. Sleep was almost impossible. It is a nice place to stay and very clean so if you are a sound sleeper, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I thought this was a 'boutique' style city centre hotel, but it turned out to be the worst B and B we've ever stayed in. Like other reviewers, I really wish I had checked here first!

Contrary to the info on their website, the hotel has no parking to speak of, no views, no double glazing, is scruffy and the beds were excructiatingly uncomfortable.
We booked the (glorious on the pic) four poster room and the bed seemed smaller than a standard double and the ensuite wasso grim so we swapped to use our daughter's horrible little twin instead. No toiletires to speak of and a VERY noisy extractor fan and was also very noisy outside as on a main road, The floors all looked like they needed a damn good clean. The TV on the wall had a bright blue standby light (we couldnt get to the socket to switch the TV off) which lasered into your eyes throughout the night.

But the worst thing was the breakfast! For a start it was served on the first floor (very steep stairs - be warned) and no one told us a cooked breakfast was extra and had to be ordered the night before. We would have paid if we had known....the lady was unwilling to cook us one there and then and said she needed 24 HOURS notice? Why?
The 'continental' breakfast included the worst selection of bargain foods - orange squash, cheap yoghurts and the worst sort of plastic bread. You had to make your own tea (only one sort available) and toast, and there was soon a queue for the toaster as only 2 of the 4 slots worked.

We walked out without breakfast and moved ointo the Hiton Grosvenor across the road - not the greatest hotel ever, but so much better than this one!

When I checked theGeorgian website again upon return, it made me LOL. No wonder you have to pay in advance - we lost £110 not using our second night!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

The rooms were a little small. Georgian is at a busy intersection. Not a lot of room for parking. We parked at the back of the hotel which worked out quite well. Close location to many restaurants and stores. Don't understand previous comments as our stay was very nice. Hosts were very helpful in advising where to eat and what stores were around hotel. Hotel close to the airport which makes it very convenient. We enjoyed our stay in this location very much.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I really wish I had checked TripAdvisor before booking, but it looked lovely in the website. It isn't. It's pretty shoddy, and probably the worst hotel I've stayed in for the price.

1. Bring your own toiletries. We got nothing. As for years every hotel/guest house/B&B I've stayed in has had toiletries, I don't bring them. It was only by complete chance that I happened to have a bar of soap with me.

2. Continental breakfast. I can only presume the proprietors have never stayed in a hotel on the continent. Choice of yoghurt, cereal, cheese, ham and make your own toast from Asda sliced bread (still in the packet). We could only dream of a packet of Tesco croissants. And you make your own tea or coffee from boiling water in a kettle.

3. The room. Needed redecorated basically. Plaster repairs on walls, etc.

4. A minor point, but the TV has four analog channels and no teletext, which is kind of annoying.

5. You also have to pay on entry, which I was suprised at.

6. The free parking is street parking, so you may be lucky, and you may not be.

A strange experience. I had expected a fairly posh hotel with nice facilities, but it was more akin to staying in a student hall of residence with a bigger room. Maybe if the room was half the price I wouldn't have minded, but it was certainly not worth the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Alex has been very friendly and helpful, and the room we stayed in was clean and cozy. We don't understand where all the negative comments are coming from, perhaps these people are more used to staying at the Hilton. This hotel gives a great Scottish experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Fairly cheap hotel in an excellent location.I was realy happy with the proximity to the beautifull Botanic gardens and the Glasgow University. The underground is just minutes away and there are a lot of busses so you can get nearly anywhere in no time. The hotel itself is realy well kept (I have visited other hotels in area and it is realy great in comparison to them). It is very clean and the service is very nice and helpful. It is sheer pleasure to stay there while exploring Glasgow.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Georgian House? Share your experiences!