“Very bad value for money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Georgian House

Save Saved
You added The Georgian House to your Saves list
The Georgian House
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   29 Buckingham Terrace | Great Western Rd, Glasgow G12 8ED, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #18 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Very bad value for money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

From the exterior this hotel looks like it could be a cosy place to stay, this however is very far from the truth.

When we arrived at the hotel we were instantly asked to pay. We were then shown to our room which looked nothing like the pictures. The attendant told us she didn't know it was booked and had been using it that morning. She did apologies for this. The bathroom was dirty and had been used minutes before. This wasn't cleaned and we were expected to take the room as is. The carpet was stained and dirty and one of the cups had been used..

The headboard on the bed was resting against it and broken - which we didn't notice until our return that evening. The shower wasn't working and the doors on it wouldn't close. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned. There was no staff around to speak to about this - I knocked on the "staff quarters" door and waited around saying "hello" to thin air. The next morning at 10:50am there was banging on the door. The manager was telling us to get out as check out was at 10. We said we thought it was at 11 and are just getting ready. He then told us we had to get out by 11.
Following this, I left the room to give the key back to the staff. My partner came with me. There was no hotel staff anywhere. After a few minutes of waiting with me she then returned to use the bathroom. The manager appeared, I said hello and gave him the key and he continued to abrasively tell me how I was costing him money by checking out late as the laundry man came early. I told him that we thought checkout was 11 at which he called me a liar and asked if the room was empty. I was irked at the rudeness of this but responded politely saying that my partner was using the bathroom to which I was given the instruction to "get her out now" and leave. I told him to give her a minute, and then asked if he treated all of his guests this way.

After a pause I then told him about the problems with the room and rather than take these points aboard I was given verbal abuse and threatened. I went to get my partner and as I entered the room, there was banging on the door behind with him shouting for us to get out.
As we left we were met with another stream of abuse.

This was by far the worst traveling experience I have ever had & due to my job as a producer, I have traveled worldwide and experienced all kinds of hotels. Nothing comes close to this. The mannerisms of the staff especially the manager were appalling. The run down state of the hotel wouldn't be so bad if the staff was courteous and polite. You get the impression that you are an inconvenience rather than a customer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
This review is totally made up from start to finish.
The room was tidy and clean on arrival and the receptionist informed the guests of the check out time. I know this because i was around the corner writing something down for another guest.
This guest was at all times obnoxious and threatening towards female staff members. He attempted to be a bully but was in fact a coward who was aggressive only to females.These guests in fact damaged the room and actually broke the door window on departure(receipt available for viewing).

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend stay. We are familiar with the city of Glasgow and decided to give this hotel a shot. So so glad we did. excellent location. excellent front of house staff! honestly the most friendly, helpful gentleman at front of house we have ever met. the hotel was lovely and room was immaculate,very homely,comfortable place. we even got the nicest little leaving note from the staff. will definitly be staying again. its a little gem of a place!

Room Tip: All the rooms we passed were beautiful and the whole place was very peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Aust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Large bedroom, huge bathroom & comfortable bed with nice linen. Tastefully decorated room, nice window view. Good location, walk to town, across the road from Botanic Garden. Manager very friendly & helpful with places to eat, things to do. On the negative side, could do with having some basic repair jobs done. The plumbing (specifically the toilet) was very noisy on flushing and the love seat at the end of the bed couldn't be sat on because the two end feet were about to snap off. Overall, good value.

Room Tip: Room 4 Check if noisy plumbing has been fixed if you are offered this room. One flight of stairs up...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for just one night, but were made to feel very welcome. The room was well furnished clean and very comfortable. Fantastic location, really good pub just over the road. Very close to the University.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 which is self contained and very good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A delightful hotel. Very welcoming, in terms of ambience as well as the hotel manager. Lovely view of the Botanic Garden glasshouses from our room. Superb location, ideally situated for access to university where I was doing some research, as well as the art galleries and many pubs and restaurants in the West End.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I come up to Glasgow regularly for shopping trips and have stayed at several hotels/bed and breakfasts. The Georgian House is ideally situated at the top of Byres Road, perfect for eating out and with good transport links into the city centre.

Gordon the manager was extremely helpful and friendly and amazingly cheerful considering he runs the place on his own. We had a self catering room on the second floor and although there are a lot of stairs the room was airy, very clean with the most comfortable bed we have ever come across in a hotel or B&B. The furniture in the room was slightly shabby and needs some upgrading, however, despite this we had a very comfortable stay.The bathroom was large with a bath and shower over and plenty of hot water. The room also had a fridge, microwave and cooker so we were able to cook one meal.
There is free parking at the rear of the hotel which is a major benefit as we always drive to Glasgow.
Our room was at the rear of the property which had a wonderful view of the Kibble Palace in Botantic Gardens.
Only downside was the slightly shabby furniture. With an injection of cash to upgrade this hotel would be absolutely perfect. We will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the building are quieter. If you have trouble with stairs ask for a room at gro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a fantastic find - a brilliant location, very pleasant rooms with real charm and character, great breakfast and very helpful proprietor. all at an unbelievably good price. Strongly recommended - I came for a business stay but enjoyed it so much I'll come back for leisure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Georgian House? Share your experiences!