“Good basic accommodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clifton Hotel

You added Clifton Hotel to your Saves list
Clifton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   26/27 Buckingham Terrace, Glasgow G12 8ED, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Beds
“Good basic accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Clifton Hotel because of its location (our daughter has just started at Glasgow Uni) and because many of the other hotels in the area were full. We didn't expect too much, and as a result we weren't disappointed. It is relatively clean if a bit tired looking; the breakfast was OK without being memorable; the service was mixed; car parking is very limited. It is a big old Georgian house with a mix of nice antiques and tired tasteless decoration, but it does have some appeal. Our room had a four-poster bed and some fantastic antique furniture, and the bathroom was very big. The windows are big and draughty, and I wouldn't fancy staying in the depths of winter. The breakfast room is way too small, and we had to wait dor a table. Overall it was good basic accommodation and reasonable value for money, and if money is tight and you aren't too fussy then it is a reasonable option.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Stavanger, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I won't stay here again - despite the super location, close to Byres Road and the Botanic Gardens, which made me pick this "hotel" in the first place. The Clifton must have been great at some point, but is rather neglected now and needs a great deal of improvement. First of all, water came leaking through the roof in my Swedish neighbours' room, and I could even hear the dripping from across the hall when my door was ajar just before my departure.

Was the place clean? Well... it could certainly have been better, and it did not smell clean at all. Besides, sticky jam spots (I think) were on the table of my room no 5 when I arrived, and remained there during my stay the entire weekend, as I did not attempt to clean myself (since wanted to see whether the staff discovered them - and they did not). The furniture is very basic, and the bed cover had holes in it, but my room was at least spacious. The bathroom was OK and seemed to have been more recently fixed, but it could have been cleaner (- black spots here and there, and a really dusty fan). There were clean towels every day, though.

May main objection is as follows: As an ordinary (and single, female) hotel guest, I was not exactly prepared for sharing a breakfast table with homeless people who seemed to be staying regularly. The breakfast room is too small, as long as breakfast is served from 7 to 9 only. (After 9 it is "full stop": If you do not finish eating up before 9, the kitchen staff won't be too pleased, even during weekends, when most people like to sleep in a little). When most guests arrive for breakfast around 8:30, the room is packed, and you either have to wait - or share a table, as I did. Since many of the guests are residentials (homeless people), I felt rather uncomfortable on my 1st day, being on my own, Not at all the kind of setting you enjoy your breakfast in... OK, I agree that homeless people have to stay somewhere, and that taking in homeless people is probably an OK deal for a small hotel, but I was totally unprepared for the situation and (I repeat) did not feel comfortable at all. If the "hotel" decides to take in regular lodgers / homeless people, why not have TWO separate breakfast rooms, one for regulars / lodgers and one for ordinary hotel guests, and the possibility of having your breakfast a little later? The breakfast itself was no-nonsense OK enough, but way too rushed. I also noticed that on the Sunday morning, some guests did not get their sausages or bacon ("Sorry, there's nothing left"). The kitchen itself... is another issue: The kitchen door was constantly open, and as a guest in the breakfast room, I could hear the conversation where some members of staff loudly criticised other members of staff who were not present at the moment. No, it was not a friendly place at all.

I also complained twice of an alarm going off in another neighbour's (empty) room at strange hours and several times, every half hour for at least a minute - from 23.30 to 01:00, and then it started again at 05:30. I had two nights of really bad sleep because of it, and nothing was done about it when I complained the first time. It seems a lodger had left his alarm clock on before he left for the weekend. Not even ear plugs helped me get my "beauty sleep". When I went downstairs to complain about it around midnight on the 2nd night, there was nobody there, and no response when I knoced on the door to the staff room marked "private". It did not make me feel very safe.

My suggestion: Stay away - or be prepared. I'll certainly book elsewhere next time, even though I may have to pay a little more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night but were made to feel very welcome. Free car parking very limited and a tight squeeze. Easily accessible to city centre via subway close by. A good selection of shops, restaurants and bars close by.

• Stayed August 2013
edinburh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was in glasgow as my husband was having surgery in the western hospital, after a bad experiance in 1st hotel i moved into the clifton which i found to be excellant, room very nice, clean & tidy. staff very helpfull & friendley. thanks to lorriane & i think the other ladys name was cath thanks for your hospitality. breakfast was very nice. if i ever have to stay in glasgow again i most certianley book into the clifton, great value for money

Room Tip: after a horrible experiance in my first hotel i would say look at rooms before you book if possible...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Oban, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed in a family room which was large and spacious. The hotel was easy to find and right next to Botanic Gardens. Great value and a good cooked breakfast. The staff were cheerful and friendly at all times, especially Lorraine who welcomed us and was very helpful which made our stay all the more enjoyable. we will use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lossiemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel previously I was very surprised about some of the recent reviews so was not sure what to expect.
We had a different room this time (12a) and it was very quiet compared to the rooms facing the street but being in a City and an old building facing a busy road you do expect the noise.
Our room was clean and had everything we needed. Yes the furniture is from Ikea but it does the job we also got to see into some of the Fourposter rooms and they are done beautifully.
All the staff we spoke to were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great. The only negatives and they are very little ones are the car park (not much can be done about it, it's small and makes the most of the space there) and you sometimes have to wait for a seat in the breakfast room but it's not a long wait.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room to escape traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

What can I say. This place is dire. The website gives the impression that it is almost a boutique hotel that couldn't be further from the truth.
It is a residential hotel. No disrespect, but I do not expect dossers when I stay at a hotel. My room, no. 5, was furnished with some of the cheapest flat pack furniture money can buy. The carpet was threadbare in places, there were dirty marks on the bathroom door, black stuff on the shower tray, and some of the worst finishing and decoration I've seen for some time.
Basically, it is nothing like its described to be on the website. I take issue with that, because hats what I based my decision to stay there on.
I could go on, but what's the point. Trading Standards may be next.
Maybe there is a very good reason why you pay for your stay upfront!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Clifton Hotel? Share your experiences!