“Worthy successor to a classic” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Worthy successor to a classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Was a wee bit anxious about trying Frosoulla's because the original Greek Golden Kebab has great memories for me, but the good bits are still there. Mum still sits at the small table with a drink and the newspaper now replaced with an i pad! Used to be dad with a glass of red wine, and many a free glass I've had with him waiting for a takeaway!
The food is still authentic and tasty and if I had to criticise anything it's that portions are overwhelming. Had the Adana Kebab and it was luscious, moist and full of flavour, and was heartbroken that I just couldn't finish it! My boisterous, five year old grandson was beautifully handled and he loved his food as well. My Greek coffee might have been a bit stronger, but I may be a bit odd in that my taste is for the really strong authentic stuff that will melt your spoon. Service was a wee bit tentative at times, but I imagine that a new restaurant with fairly new staff will take a bit of time to really gather confidence.

All in all, it was great evening and another cracking addition to a small area of the city that's spoiled for choice with great neighbourhood restaurants.

• Visited July 2013

85% Recommend
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Always Perfect all The Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been eating at firstly the Greek Golden Kebab for many years and am now delighted with the transition to Frosoullas across the road.
The décor of the new restaurant is Greek with a very modern take and you can see that a lot of thought has gone into getting it just right. I love the old family black and white pictures on the wall on the stairs up to the ladies room. The history of this restaurant is one of the things that things makes it so special- who else can boast 40 years serving the Southside of Glasgow?
The staff in the restaurant take there lead from the owners Frosoulla and Maria in the way that they deal with everyone that comes through the door- they are all warm, friendly, courteous, honest and helpful, I have never received anything short of this on any visit.
The new menu is great as it now has several more options on it. This is Greek Restaurant so the majority of the food will be meat based especially lamb and chicken - most people know and understand that this is Greek food at its best
For starters we always share what used to be meze starter which is now Called Pikliavic Hellenic I think - don't quote - this is dolmades, keftedes (beautiful greek meatballs) and three dips, salad and pitta bread- all very filling and delicious.( more pitta was offered but we didn't want to be too full)
As usual my husband orders the Kleftiko and on this visit it did not disappoint - fabulous portion sizes and the meat so tender it was falling off the bone- delicious.
I had my lamb kebab which was cooked just perfect -brown on the outside and pink in the inside. you can tell that the meat comes fresh from the meat market as its tender and very fresh. With each main course you get the choice of chips, rice or roast potatoes -we usually get one with rice and one with chips to share.
After the main we were very full but we did make room for a desert .hubby had his usual Greek Coffee with a brandy and I had Crepe Frosoulla - a lovely crepe with banana, cream and sprinkled with almonds - lovely!
We had our usual bottle of Makedonikos Greek wine and we are delighted to see that the wine list has expanded and containing more Greek wines which all come from London every week as they come direct from Greece.
All in all the food has not changed since the move, all fresh and lovingly prepared. The service as usual personable, warm, helpful and tailored to how we want to eat our food.
If there is ever an issue with anything the staff accept this and do all they can to make it right but this has never been an issue for us.
On a closing note, I am aware that there is a review below that is rated the restaurant as terrible....unfortunately there are now several Greek Restaurant's in Glasgow - and the upgrading of an old Southside institution has left some with noses slightly out of joint - I suggest that the terrible review is part of that as there are several other reviews here which mostly all echo my experience at both restaurants over the last 8 years.
We go here almost every week and look forward to continuing to do so over the coming years.
Many thanks for your continued hospitality.

Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
“Ok with the potential to be great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my aunt and friend. Upon arrival I was impressed by the lovely interior and the warm welcome by a lovely female member of staff. We were seated promptly at a nice table upstairs. The menu was ok if you like lamb or chicken otherwise it is quite limited. It does have an extensive vegetarian section but I love seafood and there was only one option in this category.

The male waiter was polite but was obviously under pressure and got flustered when I asked him for some alterations to my meal. The first 2 items we ordered from the menu were not available and we only found this out ten mins after our waiter took our order and he had to return with menus to make another choice. We waited about 30 mins for our meal to arrive, the restaurant was busy and the staff appeared to be working hard so this can be forgiven.

Our food was good but would have preferred my first choice which was not available. We then ordered dessert. Again my first choice was not available. We finally decided on apple pie and ice cream. Sadly the apple pie arrived cold and we had to send it back to be warmed.

Some aspects of my visit were great but there is plenty of room for improvement.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Food for thought”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We went to the new restaurant today, 6 adults and a 1 yr old. Food was amazing, good children's menu. Plenty of choice and prices good. Staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. We will go back to sample more of fare.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not What I Expected From A "Kebab" Joint - But It's All Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I never read any of the reviews but was recommended this place by my daughter. A neighbourhood restaurant with "kebab" in it's name? Really? Sure it's not to be avoided?

I'm sooo glad I took her advice. The food was authentic and of a very high standard. Tasty, fully flavoured, plentiful and well presented. Priscilla (owner?) fussed around (in a good way) making sure everyone was being looked after and enjoying their meal.

A restaurant which puts the Downtown equivalents to shame. It reaches a standard they can only aspire to.