“Nice pub grub” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Glasgow
“Nice pub grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Visited here at the last minute on a Saturday. Have been a few times over the years and the food is okay. Service was prompt and friendly. Food okay. Starters chicken pakora a little bit dry perhaps less time in the fryer/oven. Nachos, fajitas and chicken curry all good, but pasta a little bland. You get what you pay for, if you want top quality food then you go to a top quality restaurant. Would visit again for a cheap and cheerful dinner!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing How Things Can Change”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited a few weeks ago only to be served by a middle-aged woman who I assume was the owner. Ignorant throughout and we were served raw chips and a miserable portion of onion rings, coleslaw and meat with our steak pie. I'm not even prepared to write a more detailed review of this place, given the money we've spent. We won't be back!

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Eaten Here Many Times Now - Very Good Indeed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My other half and I decided to pop in here late last year, as it looks well kept from the outside and at the time, we fancied some pub grub. It's a pity that this establishment has only recently appeared on Trip Advisor as we have been around 7 or 8 times now and as yet, have never left disappointed.

The unfortunate thing about review sites is that people can make sweeping generalisations and potentially damaging comments, such as those which appear in the only other review for Carrigans on Trip Advisor.

Carrigans itself consists of a restaurant to the rear of the property and a pub to the front. In my own experience, the toilets are sufficient in terms of facilities and condition. We're not talking 5 star restaurant standards but compared to some toilets I've used (try Marks & Spencers in Glasgow City Centre!!!) they're great!

Service-wise, there are three or four female staff members who usually work in the restaurant and we have always been served promptly and with a smile. The internal surroundings are warm and cosy and we have never struggled to find a table, even when it's been a bit busier. Your usual draught beers/soft drinks, cans and bottles are available and prices are more than competitive.

Food-wise - brilliant - whilst we haven't tried everything on the menu, what we have tried has always been served fresh and piping hot (I hate luke-warm food). The home made soup is always a winner, consisting of a generous serving and warm bread roll with butter...their nice hearty serving of lentil is my favourite. The chicken pakora is also a winner and betters some I've tried in Indian restaurants.

For mains, my particular favourites are the Macaroni & cheese, steak pie and the southern fried chicken. I generally ask for chips and salad with a side of onion rings and coleslaw - delicious and pretty cheap. I've also tried the breaded haddock which was also tasty. There is loads on the menu I hope to try in the future and the baked potatoes look delicious. The good thing about Carrigans is that if you want a different combination on your plate e.g. veg instead of chips, different dips etc etc. it's never any trouble. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the mince and potatoes which weren't well received in the other review on here. However, if with myself or my partner thought for a minute that we were being served reheated or stale food then we wouldn't be back. Freshness seems to be the order of the day here.

The only criticism I have of the food is that I've noticed that the portion size of the chicken pakora, coleslaw and onion rings can vary quite significantly - which I can only assume is due to their being different chefs on. Nonetheless, the smaller portions are usually adequate.

Having never eaten from the dessert menu, we can't comment...we're usually too full from starters/mains/drinks!

All in all, Carrigans is worth a visit....yes, there are areas which could be improved but overall, if you're after fresh and tasty food in nice surroundings then give it a try - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“not even worthy of one star”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

took mum out for a wee bite to eat,no biggie right,first giveaway was the toilet,omg,the seat was falling off,+all chipped,decided i could wait,did`nt even use the hand drier,shook dry then used hane sanitiser,anyway our food arrived,mum had mince,potatoes+peas,she said it tasted greasy+like cheap mince,service was not bad,left with mum still hungry,later on that night she woke with bad stomach pain +nauceous 2 secs later she was violently sick+all she`d ate that day was the mince,i think carrigans could be putting whatevers left at the end of service is being put in the chiller+reheating,which i am pretty sure is not beneficial to customer,but very beneficial to the propreitor !!! TUT TUT!! BUYERS B`WARE

• Visited January 2013