“Impressive Restoration and Decor, Disappointing Food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Impressive Restoration and Decor, Disappointing Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

At first glance, Chaopraya seems to be a successful venture. The beautiful interiors are splendidly opulent, the rooms grand in size and renovated to a standard that really restored the building to its former beauty. If this review was purely about the aesthetics then Chaopraya would receive full marks. Unfortunately, good looks aren't enough when your main focus is food.
At 8 PM on a Monday night we were poilitely greeted by a hostess who took us upstairs and sat us in a rather uninspired and decidedly poorly placed table for two. The restaurant was pretty full for a Monday but not out of control. Fifteen minutes passed during which time three waitresses and one waiter did their best to avoid eye contact. We finally managed to snag someone and asked to sit next to one of the large windows in the former ballroom. Eventually we were asked for drinks and sometime after that for food. The drinks took another fifteen minutes and arrived without the glasses of water we requested. The Thai cocktails were well-mixed but nothing exceptional. We had a Siam Smile and a Sunbeam.
To start we each had the chicken spring rolls. They came out of the kitchen fairly quickly and were hot and crispy. The presentation was beautiful and the size generous. They had great potential but were not consistent in taste. Some spring rolls contained the perfect ratio of chicken and vegetables while others contained almost no vegetables and very difficult to eat stringy mushrooms. As a spring roll aficionado it was slightly disappointing. I don't think I've ever had spring rolls with such different consistencies. They weren't terrible, and actually could have been superb were it for a little quality control.
Our mains were the Weeping Tiger and the Black Pepper Beef with two portions of sticky rice. Again, both dishes had potential. The flavours weren't particularly novel but they were tasty. A brown garlicky pepper sauce of good consistency with peppers, onions and beef arrived on a sizzling platter. It felt a bit gimmicky and was a pretty small portion for the price. The beef looked lovely but undermined the whole meal. It was chewy and full of hidden bits of gristle. We ended up having to remove these bits and relocate them to the empty pots of rice. The Weeping Tiger dish is listed as a signature dish in their menu but it was a complete and utter let down. At £15.95 it was a low point. As to why we didn't send it back, our waitress seemed to have enough difficulty understanding our order the first time around. She was polite, but her manner was somewhat abrupt.
After the disappointing mains we decided to skip dessert. It's a real shame as we had been really excited to try the restaurant and saved the experience for our anniversary. We would return for drinks and starters but probably not for mains.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The staff were pleasant and friendly, but the service was disappointing right from the start. The waiter came over to our table to take our drinks order, but walked away having only taken my partners order! This would have been a simple enough mistake to make if it wasn't just the two of us! Of the four drinks we ordered, three were wrong!

The restaurant was seriously over crowded, with tables crammed too close together, giving it a claustrophobic feel and absolutely no intimacy for a romantic meal.

We ordered the sharing platter for starter, which was listed on the menu as £10.95, but we later discovered that this was "per person", which was not clear on the menu so be warned! It certainly was NOT worth £22 both in terms of quality and quantity.

My partner's main course arrived promptly, but they had gotten my order wrong. A 20 minute wait followed and in the interim I was presented with two further incorrect main courses, and at one point the waitress attempted to serve me the order of the couple sitting next to me!! This was really unfortunate as the main courses (when mine did finally arrive) were really lovely. However, by this point I had lost my appetite and my partner's meal was cold. When we asked to speak with the manager about this, we were not approached by the manager but another member of the waiting staff who apologised and promised to adjust our bill accordingly. However, when our bill did arrive no discount was applied (and to make matters worse we were hit with the surprise of a double charge for the starter - twice the price of my main course). When we queried this, not attempt was made on the part of the waiting staff to make this right.

Upon leaving the restaurant we happened to pass the manager, with whom we discussed our disappointment. The manager was very apologetic and appeared extremely keen to compensate us in some way for this, taking our contact details and promising to get in touch. But disappointingly we have not yet received any contact and I am not particularly optimistic about this. All in, we paid £90 for a shared starter, two main courses, and reasonably priced bottle of wine. Not worth it. I will certainly not be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I have been to Chaophraya before, when it first opened and the service was not good at all. So, I thought I would leave it a while before returning.

We returned last night and can say it was a bit better but the service is still pretty slow. The set up just doesn't work. I ordered a cocktail and it arrived when I had finished my starter. I think this is due to the fact that the drinks are transported from palm sugar to the restaurant, not good!!

Although the service is slow, there is no denying that the food is nice. However, it is expensive for what you get.

I wouldn't be in a rush to go back to be honest.

There was an older couple beside us who were actually complaining about the service, etc but I'm not sure what was done to rectify this.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“Celebrating my daughter's 18th”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We came here early evening on a Thursday, didn't need a reservation, but the place was very busy. If you don't go dressed to kill, you might feel a bit intimidated by the plush (posh) surroundings in the lobby and the extremely well-turned out staff, but hang in there - although some of the diners had clearly dressed up for the occasion, just as many had obviously come straight from work of from a days shopping, so the atmosphere was relaxed.
The actual restaurant was beautiful and the staff were faultlessly polite & friendly.
We shared the vegetarian set menu banquet for 2, which involved a platter with all the veggie starters, then 3 of the main dishes between us, although only one portion of rice (but we couldn't have eaten any more) The food was very good and lots of variety. At £25 a head, it wasn't the cheapest meal, but then it didn't seem overly expensive for what we got and for the overall experience. Would definitely eat here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“OK food and slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived at half past 5 and the restaurant was by no means busy. Took over half an hour for our drinks order to arrive and they came after we had finished our starters. The same happened to the table next to us which was easy to pick up on since the tables are very, very close together. Everyone's food was nice, but all a little lukewarm. Waitresses seemed unsure of what was happening and which tables had been served / had orders taken. Beautiful building obviously.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere