“BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 1,974 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Chaophraya Glasgow is Europe's largest Thai restaurant! Set in one of the city's most iconic buildings, Old Athenaeum, it offers guests the ultimate Thai dining experience in a spectacular setting. Boasting four floors with luxurious private dining spaces and the glamorous Palm Sugar Bar it is the perfect place for any occasion.
glasgow
“BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked this restuarant as a special meal to celebrate a special birthday after some great feedback however I was left utterly dismayed at lack of customer care from front of house staff.
We booked our table 5 weeks before and on night we arrived in due time for our table only to be told it was not quite ready. 1 hour later we were still sitting in the bar waiting for our table while front of house staff continued to float in and out of bar area without any care for our party and another table who had been siiting longer than ourselves. Whilst I have no doubt the food would
have been fantastic unfortunately as we had been ignored from the moment we walked in we decided to leave and take our custom elsewhere. The website boasts of fantastic front of house staff - I can only assume it was regular staff's day off as the lack of care and service dumbfounded me.
Despite emailing day after I have yet to receive any acknowledgement whatsoever from Chaopraya Glasgow so I can only assume they don't care about customers . We had looked forward to this evening for weeks and felt badly let down so unless something happens quickly I
would reckon this will not be the only bad review received which is a pity as they should be judged on food - unfortunately bad service let the team down and we never got to sample food

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“DELICIOUS!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just happened to drop in today for a quick lunch with my mum and sister and was pleasantly surprised with our dining experience. As we walked into the restaurant we felt a little intimidated by the luxurious surroundings (being three untidy shoppers!), but we couldn't have been treated better! Our Irish waiter, Dale, made us so welcome and showed us all around the different levels of the restaurant. We ordered just one £7.50 starter to share between three of us and it was delicious. More than enough food for us all and the main courses were really, really tastey. So glad we dropped in and will be doing so, again, hopefully in the very near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Second visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Visited again for the second time today. Two children in toe and the kitchen made a dish that one specifically asked for. Great building and a sea of tranquility in an ocean of mediocrity.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Go to eat here it's very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This place is great for a thai restaurant and has an amazing building with all different floors and decor. It is located inside an old mansion and the decor is stunning.
Food wise this really is a good restaurant and one of the best Thai's I have been to in the UK. The menu ha sa very large selection to choose from although slighty over priced. Beware, the drinks in here are not cheap and it's knocking on nearly £7 a pint!
I was a VIP there when I dined in October 2012 and I was treated very well but then so were all the regular customers. Well worth a visit if your in Glasgow and I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who loves Thai food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Truly awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Thai cuisine being one of our favourites my fiancé and I decided to visit Chaophraya whilst in Glasgow on a weekend break.

Generally I do not write negative reviews however I feel in this instance I must.

We had booked our table for 9.00pm and duly arrived at 8.55pm. We were asked to wait in the bar whilst our table was prepared and were given a glass of wine...so far so good!

By 9.30 we still were waiting, I went out to reception which was deserted, waited 10mins until someone came, by which time a sizeable queue had formed. I was told my table was now ready!

We were seated, given menus then left for 15mins until someone came to take our order, we were not offered anything to drink and had to make a point of stopping a waitress to do so (a small thing I know but part of the overall picture).

We waited another 25mins before our starter arrived, over 1hr after getting to the restaurant, (still no drink though). We had noticed the starter being brought into the dining room 10mins earlier but as the waitress had taken it past our table we assumed it was for someone else. The food when we got it was cold, dry and had obviously been lying out for some time. We sent it back for reheat, 15mins later it arrived again...with our wine!!!). It was not good, dry, tough meat and over cooked rubbery prawns.

After the starter was cleared away we waited another 25mins by which time we were about to get up and leave, we asked twice where our mains were. Eventually a waiter who could only be described as being rough looking, unhelpful and generally quite rude, put the plates down in front of us without asking who’s was which (he got it wrong!!) and off he walked without a word.

My fiancés main course was again cold and un-edible, my main of ‘roasted duck’ was so saturated in salt it was awful, the sauce that came with it had a skin on top, it had obviously been lying around for some time. At this point we had had enough and asked to speak to the manager who eventually came over to our table.

On a positive note after we voiced our complaint the manager did apologise and we only paid for the wine then we left.

Overall the restaurant service was appalling, the food terrible and lack of respect to customers unacceptable.

Maybe we were just unlucky as some of the other tables seemed to be getting better attention and food than us...however we will NEVER NEVER go back to this eating place and cannot in all good faith recommend it to anyone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere