“Little Gem in centre of Glasgow” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Little Gem in centre of Glasgow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Called in here without reservation on a rainy Sunday afternoon and were welcomed like long lost friends. We were sat at the bar initially but a table soon became available and we enjoyed excellent home made soup with freshly cooked scones. Of course the speciality is afternoon tea and I must say the cakes and pastries looked absolutely delicious. They will have to wait until next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Glasgow
“Just my cup of....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited this tea lounge with a group of friends on a Saturday afternoon. Initially, I was taken aback to find that we had to queue at the door, especially since we had booked in advance. However, the situation - caused by a late-running 'hen' party - was dealt with efficiently by the staff, and we were shown eventually to a pleasant alcove table. It has to be said that afternoon tea would not be my first choice for a fun day out, and my tolerance of sugary foods is pretty low. However, I really enjoyed our visit and there were three main reasons for this. First of all, the rooms in which the lounge is situated are strikingly beautiful; a former Bank of India, it retains its elegant proportions and well preserved Victorian/Edwardian tiling throughout.(If you are interested in Glasgow architecture, you might also pop into Sarti's, further down Renfield Street, where the owners have also retained some original features of a former bank). Secondly, the service was cheerful and informative ( we were served by a delightful young man, whose name I didn't catch) and our various food and drink preferences were easily catered for. Finally, the food we had was lovely. We had afternoon tea with a glass of champagne(Mumm) for fractionally less than £20, pretty much par for the course in city establishments. I don't eat meat, and the three little rolls I had, each with a different filling were delicious; I particularly liked the fact that they didn't put the scones in the oven until after we'd arrived, which meant that they were still hot when we ate them, with spiced cream. Can just say that the apple/cinnammon scones were orgasmically good? We were definitely in danger of rerunning that scene from 'When Harry Met Sally'....But there was something for everyone - if cupcakes are your thing, you will not be disappointed. I don't even like them and I was tempted. So if you're not really a sugar and carb person, you will still find this place interesting and enjoyable; if you love your tea and cakes, you'll be in heaven....

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went for afternoon tea. Food great. Large tea selection not limited to only certain types when ordering.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Nice spot for a treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My friend and I came to the tea lounge after previously visiting the tea rooms in the West end.

We actually came here to indulge in some of the desserts we have been hearing good things about, however were a bit disappointed to be told that the desserts don't start untill 1730. To be honest, had we known this previously, we would have left out visit for another time.

Having said that, the lounge itself is gorgeous. The tile work inside is just beautiful and everything else seems to fit in nicely, We ordered some lunch and cocktails, both really nice, infact the cocktails were very very nice! And then had a couple of cupcakes each. Both, again really nice! My frind had a cup of tea, and just like at the tea rooms, we love the little timer that lets you know when it is brewed to perfection! A nice touch! The service was great! Attentive, and informative when asked about cocktails and cakes.

All in all, we will certainly be back here, bearing in mind next time to make it after 1730!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paul-Scotland, Owner at Cup Tea Lounge, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thanks for your review and I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy our desserts.

Our desserts and platters are available in the evening from 6pm on Thursday to Saturday. We have new website launching tomorrow and I have made sure that these timings are displayed in order that someone else is not dissapointed.

Many thanks

Paul
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Looking forward to a long weekend in Glasgow we read reviews for a treat
After reading the reviews we pre-booked afternoon tea for the Saturday afternoon
On Thursday we had a phone call to confirm our booking and asking if we required special dietary needs and was it afternoon tea or lunch we wanted. What great service I thought.
We arrived at our appointed time. The table we were seated at was situated directly in front of the bar and felt like an add on as the staff kept going to the bar and turning round to find us sitting there and apologising for nearly walking into us, this carried on throughout our stay. We were given menus and I ordered a bottle of water and said it was for drinking prior to eating and was asked if I wanted it with my food??
As we had prebooked afternoon tea it did not take long to make our choice. My wife asked for tea and I asked for black coffee, I was asked if I wanted it with my food, to which I said yes
The tea and food arrived, very scrumptious it looked. We were told the scones would arrive shortly. I waited about ten minutes and asked for my coffee. The reply of 'when did you order it' was a suprise. Eventually my coffee arrived. Twice more we were told the scones were on the way and twenty minutes later they arrived. We ordered more tea & another coffee and waited and waited. We were told they were on the way and another ten minutes later arrived. Straight after their arrival we were approached and told we had to be finished and out in less that thirty minutes as the table was required. This really spoiled what was already a poor experience.
Perhaps if the service had been quicker we could have eaten and drunk more speedily. It was never mentioned there is a time limit, maybe the staff need to adhere to it too.
A very expensive treat spoiled by bad service and timekeeping. I would not go again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you have not receive the full service you should have.

I would like to clarify our dining time resrictions. We have a 90 minute policy on tables during peak times and this was clarified to you at your pre arrival call as well as printed on our menu.

Also with regards to the service you received on the day, this was completely our issue and there is no excuse. You should have been told that your scones had only been put in the oven to bake as your afternoon tea was brought up to you. This takes somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes and really should fit perfectly with the timing of you finishing your sadnwiches. Your coffee should have been brought out to you at the time of your scones and your server was aware of this request. We have already noted your comments and discussed the matter with your server for the day. Our staff only look after 6 tables at a time so there is really no excuse for this.

From your reviews I understand that you were on a weekend break in Glasgow. I will send a message to you offline to see what we can do to make up for the shortcomings in our service.

Regards