“We've had a lovely time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apex City of Glasgow Hotel

You added Apex City of Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Apex City of Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2EN, Scotland (Formerly Marks Hotel) (Cowcaddens)   |
Groesbeek, The Netherlands
“We've had a lovely time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

My friend and I stayed in your hotel for a couple of nights. The room was very nice, the view was great (we could see a lot of that, because of the big windows), en the grill & Bar Ten was also very nice.
We didn't even go out to eat, because the food was so good there. I'm sure that we will pick the same hotel if we're ever go back to Glasgow again! I add some pictures of the food in the restaurant, so you can see by yourself!

Thanks for the lovely stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
GMMarks, General Manager at Apex City of Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm thrilled you had a lovely time and that the restaurant proved to be such a success. I very much look forward to wlcoming you back to the Hotel next time you visit Glasgow.
Karen Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Turkish first
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I stayed in one of the 8th floor suites. Generally a good hotel but it is definately punching above its weight. Decor in the suite was a bit bland (especially as I had been staying in the Apex Waterloo Place in Edinburgh the previous night), and the small approx 20" TV on a large white wall did look off. Welcome folder was basic and had no room service menu in it - and despite asking for one (I was brought up a restuarant menu) it wasnt sorted the next day.

Room service items seemed to be left in corridor for hours (fire escape issue if during a fire there was plenty of smoke) and restaurant staff could be a bit more polite (three times I stood out of their way as they were carrying stuff, without even any eye contact let alone a thank you).

Restaurant closed on Sunday evenings - ridiculous! Breakfast the next morning was busy so I am sure there is some demand. Staff didnt seem to know if breakfast on Bank Holiday Monday was at Sunday times - and they couldnt be bothered to find out for me.

So, generally OK but they need to do some work on service and room decor.

Good location for both main stations though.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm glad that you consider the Hotel to be ok generally but I'm also disappointed that the service you received seems to have let us down.
Thank you also for your comment about closing the restaurant on a Sunday, this is something that has historically happened in the Hotel and is published on all of our literature and websites. I am however in agreement that food should be available in the Hotel at all times and have now altered our offering to include Sunday night dining. I do hope you give us the opportunity in the future to prove ourselves to you.
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights at the Marks (19 of us) for my friends Hen-weekend. Hopefully didn't hold up too many people at check-in or make too much noise. Have stayed here before and love the decor even though its not to everyones taste, all our hens thought it was fab. Breakfast was changed to a buffet style, and was always plentiful and hot. some of our group were offered poached/fried eggs, but our table was never given this option. The only thing missing for us at breakfast, would be haggis (please!). Noticed that in the ladies toilets near the restaurant there are no longer face cloths and in the rooms there are only very basic toiletries, no shower caps. Our room seemed to get missed during the cleaning and when we came in at 5pm, buckets were not even emptied and toilet roll was getting low. (we had to borrow some from our friends) Someone did knock on the door that evening when we were getting ready to go out, asking if we were happy with the service, we asked her to empty the buckets. Enjoyed our stay but was shocked at the price of a can of irn bru from the bar £1.90.

• Stayed August 2010
GMMarks, General Manager at Apex City of Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment again on your return stay with us. I'm glad that in general you enjoyed your stay but I'm also sorry you felt some things were missing. The Hotel has enjoyed a great uplift in occupancy in recent months, making it difficult to serve breakfast as it was and guarantee our guests satisfaction, hence the reason it is now the breakfast buffet service. Your table should certainly also have been offered the alternative egg options and I will pass on your comments to the chef about the haggis being available, I'm sure we can rectify that for the future. I will also pass on your comments to the housekeeping department about the late servicing of your room and I assure you that our bar prices are currently under reviiew and that I'll certainly keep your comments in mind. I do hope you choose to return to the hotel again in the future and I look forward to your comments once more.
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Just back from a nights stay at the marks hotel, we arrived earky in the morning are room was not ready, hotel has a luggage storage area. hotel is just mins walk from queens train station only £2.50 in a taxi to the hotel, hotels location is great for shopping and theres a couple of night clubs on the street so i would request a room at the back of the hotel, due to noise. staff were frendly on arrival when checking in to our room it was a double (when we requested a twin) room was also tiny! and facing a wall, we called reception straight away and asked for an upgrade it was an extra ten pounds for a bigger room which was so much more better at the back of the hotel.
we ate in the hotel restaurant got a grat deal 2 course meal and bottle wine for 2 only £24.99 food was amazing and loads of it. breakfast was also very nice and great menu choices. the waiting staff in the restaurant were really friendly and helpful, giving us direction to the best nightclubs and bars in the area! i would recommend this to friends and family but would advise booking an upgraded room and one facing to the back of the hotel, in all my friend and i had a great stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
GMMarks, General Manager at Apex City of Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm thrilled you had a good stay with us and ever so pleased that not only will you return, but you'll recommed the Hotel also to your friends. I look forward to welcoming you in the future.
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stopped here on 17th Aug for 1 night only (thankfully) - my normal hotel was full so the company booked me this as it was close.

On entrance I must say I was welcomed well and the guy at reception was very nice and chatty. On entering my room though it looked as though a millions flower vases had exploded onto the walls, very pink and flowery. The shower was also one of the worst Ive experienced in a hotel and I stay away 4 nights a week at different places!

The view through the window was of a brick wall, felt really claustrophobic.

I must say that when I asked the company to look for another hotel as the one I normally stop in was full, I asked for a hotel with free internet access (it's just the small things which make me satisfied)... this hotel boasts about providing free internet access and its plastered all over their website - IT DID NOT EVEN WORK!!! Everytime I rang reception they were apparently waiting for an engineer, this was all night and morning - until I gave up and logged on with my dongle instead.

The food was awful - the cod was not cod it was a lump of salt, I was actually sick in the bathroom after eating half the food... I would never consider this place ever again.

KEEP AWAY IF YOU WANT YOUR TRIP TO GLASGOW TO BE A GOOD ONE!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, I'm only sorry you considered it to be so poor. Unfortunately the free wi fi service was unavailable for an evening and we were doing everything in our power to rectify this.Our engineer did eventually get to the Hotel just after 10pm that night and all service was re instated shortly afterwards. Our bedrooms do have a feature wall with bright wallpaper and I'm sorry this wasn't to your own taste; we also find that a lot of customers like it very much. I'm terribly sorry also but I'm at a bit of a loss on the dreadful food you feel you experienced, our restaurant in general gets very good reviews for dinner and we don't have cod on the menu, I have to assume that it was either the deep fried fillet of haddock or the cushion of smoked salmon you ordered and I'm sorry again that this wasn't to your individual taste. Thank you once again for drawing the points to our attention.
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Nice staff, great location...but our room was just utterly bog-standard, no extra touches at all, I've stayed in budget chain hotels with nicer rooms. The decor is a little dated too. Didn't use any of the dining/drinking facilities so can't comment. For £80 it was poor value - not that I think that's expensive for a city centre hotel, but compared to say a Premier Inn, I'd choose the latter any day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm really pleased that the staff and location feature well, I'm only sorry nothing else stood out for you. Please be assured that we are consistantly reviewing the standards in the hotel and the 'little touches' which mean a lot to some guests feature highly on my agenda.
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Looking forward to a leisurely night away with no children was somewhat disappointing. Whilst the hotel was lovely and so too were the staff, I did not appreciate being woken at 530am by one large hydrolic lift containing two window cleaners! Even more annoying was that we had paid to upgrade so we had a front facing room!! Would be very wary of booking here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GMMarks, General Manager at Apex City of Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for commenting on your stay, I am terribly sorry a good stay was spoiled by the window cleaners. Please let me assure you that unfortunately the Hotel was also unaware of them coming in on Sunday. We do have a contract with the company and the windows generally can only be cleaned on a Sunday, as the road has to be closed off to do it. We should be advised in advance of dates and agree to them but on this occasion we certainly were not or we'd have made sure guest were not disturbed in this way. I am meeting with the operations director of the company on Thursday and guarantee this won't happen in the future. I do hope you'll give the hotel another try and would ask that you please contact me directly at the Hotel and I'll ensure you are given a complimentary upgrade.
Karen Burke

Been to Apex City of Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!