“Hotel fine, restaurant disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marks Hotel

You added Marks Hotel to your Saves list
Marks Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2EN, Scotland (Formerly Bewley's Hotel)   |
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Hotel fine, restaurant disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The rooms here are good - well turned out and with proper bathrooms, complete with baths! However, as a solo business traveler, I usually eat in the hotel rather than try to find a nicer place nearby. I've stayed at Marks Hotel 3 times now and each time I've found the food really disappointing. Gloopy "Scotch Broth" soup, overcooked, soggy vegetables. On the other hand, breakfast is great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Marks, General Manager at Marks Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I was pleased to read that you've stayed with us three times in the past and I do hope you continue to do so.
I'm so sorry dinner has been a disappointment thus far and I'm delighted to say we'll be introducing a new menu in the next couple of weeks, which I hope will be more to your taste.
Please do contact me directly when you next stay as I'd be delighted to have you dine with my compliments and to hear your opinion after.
Karen Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
Larbert, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a good value hotel in a fantastic position within the city, augmented by excellent staff who appeared happy in their work. A short walk from either of the two city centre main line stations, and close to good bars and restaurants, our party of four stayed for two nights, with breakfast on both mornings and a three course meal on the first night, which was a combined deal on offer.

The food was good without being outstanding, and the main courses would benefit from the addition of some vegetables, but even if we'd had to pay the £17.95 price for three courses, it would have been fair value in such a location. Breakfasts were self service, and with a few minor changes would have been as good as any: for example, both mornings there were no plates beside the toast machine (and it would be great if somebody could invent a fast, safe and reliable toaster for hotels, not just this one).

To the rooms: spacious with plenty seats, both our rooms came with an extra bed. Yes, the tv is small, but a tip to those who complain about this: sit closer to it! I like a lot of pillows, and thankfully there were plenty in this room without me having to ask. However, given the nature and warmth displayed by staff, I'm sure that if we'd needed anything, they would have stepped in and helped out.

I'll look out for the Marks Hotel again next time I'm in Glasgow.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel faces a brick wall, but this isn't a real problem unless you intend to sta...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we see you next time you have a chance to visit Glasgow.
Kind Regards.
Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here with my mum on a shopping/concert trip and it was ideal. Car park close by which the hotel provides a discount for. Twin room was great, plenty room, clean and comfortable. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Shops within walking distance as well as pubs and restaurants. We had a lovely cooked breakfast before we left. Overall great hotel and perfect location for shopping. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GM_Marks, General Manager at Marks Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we see you again soon.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My third stay alone at this hotel.

Room spotless, warm and spacious. Plenty of towels, iron and ironing board.

Very comfortable bed.

I opted for the fixed price menu £14.95 for dinner at One Ten Bar & Grill in the hotel and it was delicious. Staff very friendly and attentive and piping hot food of high quality.

Breakfast wonderful with great selection of hot and cold.

Thanks very much to all the staff at the Marks Hotel who give first class service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for your very kind review of our hotel.
I'm thrilled it's your third stay with us and absolutely delighted the staff leave such a positive impression on you.
We look forward to seeing you for stay number four!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here one night to go to a ball at another hotel. The reception staff were very polite and friendly, and gave us a room on the 6th floor. The room was a good size with a small sofa at the far end. The room actually had a double and single bed, although it would have been nicer to have a king size bed instead of on the current arrangement. The decor may not be to all tastes, but we liked it and was a nice change from your standard bland hotel rooms.

The bed itself was very comfy, but as we were at the back of the hotel the window was a bit small, so we didn't get very much natural light. It is extremely centrally located, and within a couple of minutes walk from Sauchiehall Street. The discounted parking at the Q-Parks car park across the road was also very handy.

I would recommend this hotel if you need a bed for the night, it was excellent value for money. It is the sixth hotel I have stayed in within the Glasgow area, and certainly one of the best.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I'm delighted you think we are one of the better hotels in the city and I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Standish, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed one night on a Saturday. Hotel very handy for central station about 5 minutes walk. Nice modern hotel, stayed on room only basis. Good sized room very clean with spotless bathroom both nicely decorated. Our room was on second floor at the front of the hotel. As we sleep with the window open it can be a little noisy on saturday night as Bath street as many bars and restaurants. Not the fault of hotel but just an observation.We arrived before lunch and room was already available which was good being able to put luggage in room. Reception staff very friendly and efficient. Booked an advance offer and at £45 room only,no complaints at all. Would use again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was a girls only 2 day break. Hotel was comfortable and very clean decor was a little bright - red! Staff very helpful. Good value for money deal included Dinner on the day of arrival, bed and breakfast. Plenty to see and do, we walked to most places, Christmas lights and market were delightful. Recommend a visit to the Willow Tea Rooms they have meringues to die for in fact we visited on both days. Would definitely stay again as hotel was very central.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so happy you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Karen Burke

Been to Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!