“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apex City of Glasgow Hotel

You added Apex City of Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Apex City of Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2EN, Scotland (Formerly Marks Hotel) (Cowcaddens)   |
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed one night on a Saturday. Hotel very handy for central station about 5 minutes walk. Nice modern hotel, stayed on room only basis. Good sized room very clean with spotless bathroom both nicely decorated. Our room was on second floor at the front of the hotel. As we sleep with the window open it can be a little noisy on saturday night as Bath street as many bars and restaurants. Not the fault of hotel but just an observation.We arrived before lunch and room was already available which was good being able to put luggage in room. Reception staff very friendly and efficient. Booked an advance offer and at £45 room only,no complaints at all. Would use again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Marks, General Manager at Apex City of Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
Karen Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Turkish first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was a girls only 2 day break. Hotel was comfortable and very clean decor was a little bright - red! Staff very helpful. Good value for money deal included Dinner on the day of arrival, bed and breakfast. Plenty to see and do, we walked to most places, Christmas lights and market were delightful. Recommend a visit to the Willow Tea Rooms they have meringues to die for in fact we visited on both days. Would definitely stay again as hotel was very central.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so happy you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed for two nights between Christmas and New Year. The room and bathroom were very clean and was good value for money. However the window (which overlooked the side of a neighbouring building) had a crack right across it. As others have mentioned the décor relies heavily on red flock wallpaper which may not be to everyone's taste.

Breakfast was fine with a selection of hot buffet or cold meats etc. However, as another reviewer has mentioned, tea poured from a communal insulated jug was not ideal - is it too much to expected a fresh pot served to your table?

The hotel is ideal for Glasgow's shopping and entertainment centre while a discount is given for parking in the secure Q Park just up the street.

We'd happily return but we were a little concerned to see that the two small lifts bore a typed notice saying that guests should note that only four should travel in the lifts, and not six people as indicated in the lift's internal notice!! One of them did malfunction during our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I was so pleased to read that in general you had a nice stay and would return to stay again.
I'm so sorry there was a maintenance issue with the window, we are aware of this and it is awaiting a replacement.
Please also be assured that the sign outside the lift is purely precautionary. I'm afraid that especially during the summer months six people with six equally heavy suitcases do attempt to squeeze in and this can cause issues with the lift moving from the stopped position due to the weight it's holding.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here for one night the weekend before Christmas while visiting the German market.The hotel is spotless clean and VERY cosy. Its absolutely bang in the centre of the city ....no more than a 10 minute walk from everywhere. We 'did' the market then shopped then drinks in merchant city. Back to hotel for shower then tossed a coin for either the best Chinese restaurant in town(Amber regent) or the newly found Indian restaurant (Assams) both just around the corner. After a fantastic meal we came back to hotel for a few drinks before a very comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast was buffet style and quite adequate. for city centre hotel I thought the price was great at £76. This is the special offer rate and was non cancellable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment so favourably about the hotel.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Marks Hotel on Monday the 4th of November. We arrived mid afternoon after a short shopping spree. We were greeted very well by the reception staff. One in particular was really nice and enquired why we were visiting Glasgow when we said it was to see a band we end up chatting about music and their was a genuine interest from this staff member we were speaking to, unfortunately we didn't get her name but please ensure she knows she gave great service.

Later after another shopping trip I visited the bar where I was welcomed very well from a member of the bar staff named Emily. She was attentive and even offered to bring the drinks up to our room as I ordered quite a few drinks, great service again!

Later after the gig, I visited the bar and was served from Emily again. Great service again and when my drinks choices weren't stocked by the bar I was offered alternatives. I met Robert at the bar too where we had a great conversation about the cocktail menu and what I had tried earlier that night. It was nice giving feedback and having it heard directly. This encouraged myself and my friend to buy more drinks at the bar because of the welcoming atmosphere we were receiving from the staff.

The price for the hotel is amazing for such a central hotel. The wallpaper might seem a bit garish to some hotel visitors but it's a great change from the bland white / cream walls I’m so used to from other hotels. We had a room at the front of the hotel so there was floor to ceiling glass with sliding doors. The room was a twin room which was very spacious and featured a double and a single bed. Thankfully not one of these fold out camp beds hotels try to get away with. There wasn't that many sockets in the room and the ones that were there where awkwardly placed. Not terribly good if your looking to charge a few devices. There wasn't a safe in the room which I do like to have. There is enough storage space for two for a short stay which is great.

The bathroom was clean and had the most powerful shower I have ever encountered. The soap and shower gel dispensers were a bit different from the usual individual toiletries. No complaints though as most of the time people pinch the little ones you get or bring their own anyway.

There is a gym a few doors down too which is handy, instead of a few machines in a back room that hotels usually have. A day pass is £5.99 but considering the hotel is so cheap this is spare change really.

Some websites listed this hotel as 3* and others 4*. What I took from my visit to the hotel is that It's 3* prices with 4* rooms and 5* service. When booking any trips to Glasgow in the future the Marks Hotel will always be my first choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I was delighted to read your feedback and I really do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the future.
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed here 04/01/13 and upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment. Room decor was shabby and paint repairs done in spots here there and everywhere. Small seating area under mezzanine level with an 18" tv wall mounted and mini hospitality fridge in the corner, not what we had expected for a one bedroom apartment upgrade.

Bathroom was clean but very tired with the bath shower curtain set up. Not seen in many central (4*) apartments in these times.

Key points very central and views are good from floor to ceiling windows.

Not one to usually comment after staying, but with staying in many hotels, just felt disappointed in general with room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I was sorry to read that with the exception of the floor to ceiling windows and the view you were disappointed with the suite you stayed in
The suites are all due for a 'facelift' before the summer and may I ask that should you be staying in Glasgow again after this that you contact me directly, where I'll ensure we offer our most competitive rate with a complimentary upgrade next time.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a smart modern room with panoramic views across the city. The breakfast was good but not great. The hotel has a cafe bar on street level which is very pleasant to sit in with a coffee or drinks. I did think the bar menu was overpriced so we ate our lunch elsewhere. We had an inclusive evening meal on our package- that was very acceptable. Overall our stay was very good value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Face on to Bath Street on an upper floor and get views of the city stretching miles to the distant h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I was really pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and I do hope we see you again soon.
Karen Burke

Been to Apex City of Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!