“Top Marks for Glasgow hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marks Hotel

You added Marks Hotel to your Saves list
Marks Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2EN, Scotland (Formerly Bewley's Hotel)   |
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
liverpool
“Top Marks for Glasgow hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Have stayed here on a number of occasions. A lot if hotels in the city have very small rooms. This isn't the case at Marks Hotel. Rooms are all good sizes which are presented clean and tidy. Breakfast gas sadly turned into a buffet style which compromises the quality if the food. Overall still remains one if the best value for money stays in the city.

• Stayed June 2013
GM_Marks, General Manager at Marks Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so glad you consider us to be one of the best value hotels in the city and I hope we see you again soon.
Karen Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here regularly for many years. It seems every time I come back, something else has changed and unfortunately not for the better.
The breakfast is getting cheaper looking and tasting each time. The new wifi system is a disgrace. And this time the laundry facilities used, appears to have saved on washing powder and drying facilities. There is a smell when you unfold the towels, which is horrible.
Staff were really helpful and supplied me with fresh set of towels, which smelled the same.
All in all the excellent staff cannot make up for the short cuts taken. You get better facilities in some budget hotels in Glasgow.
Shame the Marks has come down this

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I was so sorry to read that you think standards are slipping in the hotel. I have been here for 3 years now and the company who provide our linen certainly haven't changed. I'll definitely pass your comments on to them for feedback.
We spent the money to upgrade our wi fi system a couple of month ago to improve the service provided to our guests and I was unaware of us having any problems with it. The only difference now is that we ask guests to log in and use a password when we hadn't previously done so.
I'd be delighted to hear from you directly at the hotel should you have a moment and I can investigate this in detail.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel has a great potential due to the location near the Central Station, etc.

The room was comfortable and clean

Howereve the lobby area by the elevators is dark and gloomy, the wall paper in the hallways is frozen in the 70's, tacky, tacky!

The breakfast room is also very dark, you can not see the hot food since it is placed in a dark area with not light. The breakfast staff could be more attentive and diligent.

The WiFi conection was frustrating with anoying passwords.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight to the lobby and breakfast room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
I'm so sorry you found the hotel to be a little dark for your taste, I guess when you have the luxury of living in the sun this can be unusual. The wallpaper in the corridors isn't to everyone’s taste but we do actually get many good comments about it also.
I was glad to read however that you were happy with your room and thank you once again for your feedback.
Kind Regards
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Hi,

Friendly staff, good rooms and close to venues and the central station. We used this hotel as our overnight stay, to go and see Streetlight Manifesto at the Cathouse. There is a multi-storey car park 50m away and while in the centre of things, it was in a relatively quiet location. There's a new Jazz and Blues bar just opened nearby and Sauchiehall street is just around the corner. Theres even a small restaurant attached to the hotel.

Just the job!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm so glad the hotel was ideal for your needs and we hope to see you again.
Kirriemuir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Staff were very helpful and friendly and the check in was nice and quick. Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable. Only stayed overnight as we were visiting the SECC for a gig. The only criticism I would have about the room is the shower. I think maybe new showers would be good, it looked like it had been there for a long long time and you didn't really get showered you actually got pelted. Oh and the wallpaper upstairs in the hallways is horrendous, it made me feel ill just looking at it. But I suppose, my Husband and I did have a good laugh about it. Having said all that, I would recommend this Hotel and I would stay again. All the shopping you could ever want to do is within walking distance from the Hotel as well. The afternoon we arrived was warm and there were people sitting out the front of the Hotel having drinks which I thought was nice as not many Hotels in Glasgow have an outside area to sit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I'm so glad you had a nice stay.
I'm sorry the wallpaper wasn't to your taste, we get a mixture of reactions and I have to admit it does grow on you over time.
I do hope we see you again in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel is well positioned in the centre of Glasgow, handy for shops, restaurants and transport links. Very prompt check-in and polite service from the reception staff. The room was adequate, but as it was at the back of the hotel, was very dim and the window only had a view of a brick wall and air conditioning units, so the curtains were closed all the time we stayed. The bed was very comfortable and the room had all the necessary requirements for an overnight stay. The dinner in the restaurant was fine, the service was very good and the staff were all very friendly and helpful, but we wouldn't rush back as there are many excellent restaurants in Glasgow.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm glad that in general everything was to your satisfaction.
I'm sorry your room over looked the back of the hotel, please do contact me in the future if you do plan on staying again and I'll ensure we allocate you a room at the front.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I actually proposed to my fiancée in this hotel. The room only cost 76 pounds and it was large with a king size bed. Very clean and fantastic facilities. I asked for an ice Bucket to chill the champagne in the room and the staff offered to do this themselves later. This was also given to me free of charge. Only thing that let the hotel down was the restaraunt food wasn't great and was very noisy. We went through to the bar later and half the time there was no one there to serve we had to wait and the chip and pin was broken so had to go through to reception to pay for our drinks. Overall though I was very impressed and would definitely stay here again. Perfect location right in the city centre.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Congratulations on your engagement I hope you'll be very happy together. I'm delighted you chose our hotel for your big moment.
Perhaps we'll see you again for a hen/stag night or on your first anniversary.
Kind Regards
Karen Burke

Been to Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!