“Fantastic Split level room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marks Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marks Hotel to your Saves list
Marks Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2EN, Scotland (Formerly Bewley's Hotel) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #36 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Kent
“Fantastic Split level room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with Hubby. On arrival (very late due to Ash Cloud) was dissapointed to be allocated a room with 3 beds and no view. Night staff immediately upgraded us to a fantastic split level room with a huge floor to ceiling window overlooking the City. We could not have been happier.
Scottish Breakfast was average though and not very hot.
Great location for shopping and theatre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
GM_Marks, General Manager at Marks Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was pleased to read that after an initial problem you were delighted when allocated one of our suites. I'm sorry however that you felt breakfast wasn't very hot. As it's a buffet offering it can be difficult to keep the food piping hot but we do have checks in place to overcome this and I'm sorry we disappointed on this occasion. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind Regards

842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Last month I got booked in to Jurys Inn on a business trip, while some colleagues were luckier and ended up here instead.. so I made sure I booked my own trip and secured room 503 at the front of the hotel.

There was a slight glitch with check in - down to an IT failure with our booking client.. but the receptionist just got on with sorting the mess out efficiently. Admittedly by the time she had finished there was a bit of a queue, but I guess it was peak check in time.

the public areas are all clean and tidy, and the bar/restaurant is quite stylish. Not sure the dark themed decor would suit all tastes, but ticks the boxes for expectation of "city centre boutique" style.

Judging by the floorplan on the back of my room door, the rooms seem more or less equally sized - not the biggest in the world, but ample enough and nice bathrooms. I previously noted that the bath in Jury's Inn required the dexterity of a performing seal to get wet in it as it was so shallow, this time the bath was great, as was the supply of hot water.

The rooms at the front have an unusual window - internally theres a patio door type arrangement, but externally there are curved windows running horizontally across the hotel.. it gives the effect of having a balcony. the external window has three letterbox style crank operated openers and even on a moderate day I needed them open as the rooms are not air conditioned. I am not sure how I would view that on a hot summers day/night? There was some street noise, though I didn't find it disturbing, and although the 2 adjoining rooms were occupied, I never heard a sound from either.

The decor again is not to everyone's taste, but if you dislike "hotel bland" the rooms offer enough of a nod to trendy, without sacrificing comfort over style. Furnishings were good, beds comfy.. again a double and a single in the room, and the hospitality tray nicely stashed in a deep drawer in the dressing table. The room also had a hairdryer, flat screen Tv, Iron and Ironing board as standard.

Breakfast in the morning was good - nice selection of hot and cold food served in the restaurant.. great coffee, proper juice nice bakery items.. only niggle is that the only egg choice is "scrambled" - I do like a fried egg. Haggis a nice touch in a Scottish hotel, but the Chafing dishes were a mix of lift off and roll top lids.. the lift off ones proving cumbersome and awkward.. though one was on the aforementioned scrambled eggs, so less of a problem! Avoiid the booth seating if offered, the seat back is at 90 degrees - fine for a victorian school teacher but otherwise best avoided!. Tea and Coffee is brought/replenished by staff while you serve yourself at the buffet, and on day 2 the service was less efficient and speedy, though always friendly and unobtrusive.

Locationwise, the hotel is a 10 min amble from Central Station, one street away from Sauchiehall Street and 5 mins from Buchanan Street. A great location for tourists and business folk alike. Our bookings are via a corporate agent, so the £75 charged may be less than publicly available rates, but I did manage to find a rate of £82 on one site.. in terms of value for money it's a pleasant place to be with nice staff, decent breakfast, handy location, peaceful enough, and a nice environment - what's not to like??

The ultimate test is would you book it again, and I have to say I already have for my next Glasgow trip, and I am looking for dates for a city break with my partner too - so yes, I am prepared to hand over my own money for this one!

Room Tip: Ask for a Room at the front!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was really pleased to read that you consider us worthy of top marks and obviously delighted that you intend to return. We look forward to welcoming you once again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

A very modern looking hotel about 10 mins walk from Queen St rail station. Rooms pleasant, but there was a lot of noise in the early hours from clubbers and drinkers leaving adjacent establishments. Also, it is by a crossroads, with traffic lights, so there is lots of noise as buses stop and then start again to get up the hill. It might be better to request a room not overlooking the main street. The staff were very helpful and the restaurant does an early theatre supper for a good price.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking Bath Street
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I was really pleased to read that you had a pleasant experience and that the staff were helpful. I'm sorry you were disturbed by the street noise, we do have double glazing in all of the rooms and this usually cuts out the majority of traffic. I'm so sorry this was not the case in your experience. We do also have rooms over the back of the Hotel and would ask that should you return to the Hotel, please let me know and I'll ensure you're allocated one.
Kind Regards
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

Good hotel in a decent location, lovely staff and very very large rooms. Excellent value for money. It is a nice hotel but I found the decor bizarre but not in a bad way but there again this is a boutique hotel!

• Stayed July 2011
GM_Marks, General Manager at Marks Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was delighted to read that everything was to your satisfaction and I do hope you return to stay with us in the future.
Angus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

This a nice hotel-
+ points: very clean, staff were friendly, central location.
-ve points: I found the breakfast to be quite poor, there wasn't a huge choice and croissants & bread were as hard as a brick.

On the whole would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm glad that in general you had a nice stay but I'm obviously disappointed to read your comments on breakfast. Please be assured that I'll be checking on the bakery items personally in the morning, the croissants are baked in house so should certainly never be hard. Thank you for pointing this out and I do hope you return to stay with us in the future.
Karen Burke.
Clackmannanshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Great hotel, great location and great rates.

Modern hotel in a central location, clean modern rooms, great breakfast and good staff.

All in all...excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very favourable review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011 via mobile

In general, it worths staying at Marks. Just that the cleaner will knock your door hard EARLY in the morning.. So remember to put the do not disturb sign out!

The location is really good, many cafes pubs and restaurants surrounding it.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm glad you think it's certainly worth staying here and that the location was ideal. I am however terribly sorry you were disturbed early by housekeeping. I do hope you will return to stay with us again in the future.
Karen Burke

Been to Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!