“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland

You added Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 West Nile Street, Glasgow G1 2RL, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I checked in mid-day. I am a Priority gold card member. Ask If I could have an upgrade. Yes I could have one if I wanted to pay £30. Was given a room on 4th floor. Had a look and found I would be looking down on air-conditioning units. I have experience with them in the past as droning lasts until around 12am. Next room I was given was 309. Room very small, with TV perched on top of wardrobe which was a strain on my neck looking up. No sound insulation on window. I though perhaps the window was open as the loud noise of traffic and people on the street continued most of the night. Fan in bathroom also droned until 10.00pm. Room was opposite lift and people coming out of lift were noisy. Didn't find staff helpful, especially in Restaurant. Though must say Lynsey on reception was helpful and printed off my travel documents. I would agree with previous poster that Holiday Inn Express is better as I have previously stayed there. Breakfast was poor. Although the choice was plentiful. The hot food was lukewarm and dried out. My Daughter and Son-in-law had an executive room 301.They loved it, decor and size of room was excellent. Again the window features as a problem with noise. Bathrooms in both rooms are very small. I am only 5ft and I couldn't stretch out. Location from Bus station and shops is excellent. Won't visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 309 not a good choice opposite lift and facing on to front entrance and a very busy road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, December 2, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. I have passed on your review to our maintenance team, who will check the seal in the window of 309 and we will use your review in a constructive manner.

I was pleased to read that your daughter and her husband enjoyed their stay with us.

Should you be returning, please contact myself direct so I can personally ensure you have a fantastic visit.

Alan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Aviemore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend with a large group of friends for three nights. What a great weekend we had. The staff were excellent and could not do enough for us, rooms nice and clean and food superb. This was a mixture of all ages and everyone was delighted with everything. Would highly recommend to anyone. One small footnote. I know us smokers are on the decline and not to be encouraged but a small canopy over the smoking area would be appreciated!! When there for quite a long stay, you get quite a few unwanted showers and it does not make it a good hair day!

Stayed November 2012
Dear Christine,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you and your party enjoyed your time here. We have just had the canopy’s in our restaurant re fitted and hope to extend this over our smoking area in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for one night in November 2012. On arrival the staff were very helpful and accomodating. They offered to print documents for me at reception as no computer and printer available. This, they suggested, would save me spending money on the machines at the Holiday Inn Express next door! My room was on the third floor and looked out on to the busy intersection below. This wasn't an issue - I didn't hear any noise all night! The room was very nice. Very clean and well decorated. Bathroom was a little on the small side but again, it was very clean and quite modern. I also took advantage of the special parking rates offered by the hotel at the nearby Buchanan Galleries -£10 for 24 hours which is very good in Glasgow city centre. Overall a very enjoyable stay. Would certainly consider this hotel before many others I've stayed at in Glasgow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, from the helpful staff to the clean and well decorated rooms.

paisley, scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We arrived at the Holiday Inn after booking 2 exec rooms ( 1 twin, 1 double). Our friends were given a further upgrade to a suite. We on the other hand could not even get into our rooms as workmen were repairing the windows. At the desk we had been told the room was ready and the workmen just finished. However, on getting to the room they told us it would by 20 minutes or so. after sitting in our friends room for the 20mins we went back to our room to be told it would be a further 30 mins. Our friends had to go out so we sat downstairs in the lounge. After an hour the room was able to be accessed. Oh dear, the workmen were finished and we could get in but had difficulty moving around the room. When we booked it no-one had told us they do not actually have twin exec rooms but use a fold down bed - yes you pay extra for this privelidge and have a lot less useable room! I went downstairs to say we were very dissapointed. I handed a comment card into reception saying that the room should never have been let till it was ready, we should have been told about the fold down bed and we lost out going out for the afternoon with friends. The manager was nearby and overheard and musr have looked at the comments as after returning to my room he phoned me. He apologised for what had happened and agreed the room should not have been let, he also agreed we should have been told about the fold down bed and apologised for our ruined afternoon. He asked what he could do to make up for the disappointment & all I said was we should not be expected to pay for lesser facilities than a standard room. He agreed and said we would not pay the upgrade price. At dinner that evening he also arranged for us to have afreebottle of wine which we thought was more than enough. However, the following morning 2 bottles of wine had been 'comped' and all our desserts. This was very good customer care. We thanked him very much.

Room Tip: be careful booking exec rooms they are really only doubles!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

Again I do apologise for the confusion with your room booking. Our front desk staff should have been more descriptive about our executive rooms, which are indeed all doubles.

I am pleased to read that this didn’t ruin your stay and that you enjoyed your evening in La Bonne Auberge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in this Hotel on Friday 2nd Nov for one night. We got a deal on one of the web sites, forget which one. A double room for £59, bargain! breakfast not included though.
Anyway when we entered the girl on the reception desk was friendly,cheerful and very welcoming.The usual information was given and she asked if we were having breakfast on the Saturday morning which would cost £9 each, she explained that this was the reduced rate as breakfast usually cost £14. To get the reduced rate we would have to go to reception rather than to the restaurant. We didn't eat in the hotel as even £9 is a ridiculous price for breakfast!
So we went up to the fourth floor, I began thinking we had hit the jack pot.....the penthouse, but alas no.
We entered a small or cosy double room. I would have preferred a king size bed, but it was very comfortable as I slept like a log. The signs hanging on the pillows, SOFT, HARD, was a quirky, yet informative addition to what was overall a pleasant stay.
The next morning the same girl was again on the front desk which was nice as we were again greeted with the same friendly and cheerful smile.

Room Tip: you pay for what you get!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, November 13, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Our breakfast price is in line with other city centre hotels and the pre paid £9 voucher is a top seller!

It was great to read that you found the receptionist friendly and cheerful, I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.

Tain, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Only a minute from the bus station, the train, theatres and Sauchiehall Street. Rooms modern, clean and comfortable though not enormous. Staff were friendly and helpful. Only downside was the medoiocre quality of breakfast and dinner in La Bonne Auberge

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielSBell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, November 2, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time here and found the staff friendly and helpful.

I was disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your time in our award winning restaurant La Bonne Auberge, it has been awarded an AA Rosette for the last 10 years and therefore we have very high standards of quality and choice. It also rates well on tripadvisor.

Ayr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This Hotel is ideal for theaters and the Concert Hall, also only a few minutes from the coach station. We had an up-graded room which was spacious with a two seater setee and my only complaint was that the bath was tiny! Apart from that everything was very clean and tidy. We had dinner in La Bonne Auberge and it was very nice, with two very chirpy young waitresses who were very attentive. We stayed on a special D.B.B promotion which was very good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor at back of Hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel clean and good value for money.

Alan Taylor

Been to Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland? Share your experiences!