“Clean, cheap and great location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel

You added Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel to your Saves list
Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   59 Union St, Glasgow G1 3RB, Scotland (Anderston)   |
Ranked #24 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Tipperary, Ireland
“Clean, cheap and great location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The location of this hotel couldn't have been better for our needs. We arrived late into Glasgow Wednesday night and it was literally a one minute walk or less from the Union Street entrance of Central Station. We came across three receptionists in our three days at the hotel, and all were charming and very helpful! The room itself was clean, if not very old and run down. We were on the top floor and with no elevator we had to walk up a few flights of spiral staircase. The wardrobe and drawers were broken, as was the curtain rail, and the floors were not level, they seemed to be slanted on the top floor. Nevertheless, all we wanted was a cheap, clean and central hotel and Rennie Macintosh lived up to that! It was £101 for three nights in February and it fulfulled all our requirements. Breakfast was included as well which was fantastic value and a great selection of continental and hot breakfast!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Perfect location adjacent to Glasgow Central railway station.Stayed for two nights at end of January 2013,both nights I slept very well despite being a light sleeper.Booked in advance by phone,just as well as hotel was full and turning people away the morning I left.All staff extremely courteous and efficient,also recommending various bars/restaurants nearby when asked.Room was spacious and clean with new mattress and recently refurbished en suite,also assorted complimentary items.Breakfast(served from 7.30)was promptly served and a generous portion.Some reviewers criticized the bread;I found it made excellent toast.Don't be put off by some barely literate reviews on this site from internet trolls with unrealistic expectations of a budget hotel in an old building.I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor at the back of the hotel,which meant there was no disturbance from b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perthshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was looking for somewhere inexpensive to lay my head for a couple of nights in central Glasgow and came across a 'compact' budget room at the Rennie Macintosh Station Hotel which is a 1 minute walk from the Union Street entrance of Central Station. Room 441 is up 4 flights of winding steps on the 4th floor (no lift). First glance reveals that this room has descended from shabbiness to seediness. A red striped curtain hangs from one hook, its pleated top trailing across the window. The other curtain is masked by a cheap wardrobe pushed up against the window obscuring most of the light. Its latchless doors hang open due to the tilt of the floor. Any attempt to close them sends hangers crashing to the floor, their mangled hooks discouraging any thought of hanging things up. Five pieces of green tartan carpet have been placed neatly against each other to cover the floor, the jumble of tartan stripes and squares giving a psychadelic feel to the room. A hole in the bathroom door indicates the absence of a latch and the door follows in my slipstream as I walk in and out. The light over the mirror fails to turn on.

However, on the other hand, the room is spotlessly clean as are the bedding and towels. The shower is good and hot. There is a kettle with ample supplies of coffee, tea, cocoa and biscuits in little packets and bottles of water. The TV is old but works and best of all the room is very, very quiet. The receptionist is charming and the breakfast excellent so all in all it fulfilled my criteria.

Room Tip: Higher floor - 4th - is quieter but the rooms have low ceilings some of which are coombed so better...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for just under 3 weeks, as I was working in Glasgow. The hotel is perfectly located 1 minutes’ walk from central station, with everything you need right beside you. There is a Poundshop across the road for any toiletries, along with a variety of takeaways, bars and restaurants at your doorstep. There is also a Tesco & a Sainsbury 2/3mins away.

The reception is always manned, and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. On the 1st night I stayed there, I was put in one of the top rooms on the 4th floor, which was quite cramped, being 6’4 I asked if I could change room, which they were happy to do at no extra cost. I was in room 208, and I was able to pre-book this room for the remainder of my stay and a very good rate. This was great. There was also room where I was able to do my ironing.

My room was cleaned every day, and provided a fresh bottle of water, tea, coffee and biscuits each day. My single bed was perfect for a lone traveller and extra pillows were provided at no extra cost, LCD TV with all the Freeview channels and I was able to pick up the free WI-FI from downstairs. The floorboards were a little creaky but nothing to shout home about.

I had breakfast on most morning, which was a buffet style, toast, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, cereals, fruit, meats and cheese. They also provided a full cooked Scottish breakfast, and the staff were always on hand to provide this.

I felt very safe in the hotel, and although it wasn’t as modern as some people may hope, it certainly isn’t out of date. I stayed there for 3 weeks and felt completely at home.

I honestly couldn’t fault this hotel, the location was great, food was great, room was great, provided all the services you need for a city centre hotel.
Only 1 thing I could mention was on a Thursday night you were able to hear a nightclub’s bass, but it wasn’t that bad.

Would highly recommend to anyone travelling and working in Glasgow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd floor, able to pick up the WIFI, for single travellers 208 was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Not the fanciest of hotels you will ever stay in but the location cannot be beaten. Right in the heart of Glasgow. Adjacent to Central train station and taxi rank. 15 minutes walk from the SECC where we were attending a concert. Friendly staff, big breakfast in the morning and overall a decent hotel to spend the night.

• Stayed January 2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Great location right next door to the Central Station which made it very easy for us to find.Very pleasant lady on reception.We booked a standard double room which was on the third floor. No lift so wouldn't recommend for anyone who can't do stairs. The room was quite basic but lovely and warm and clean and the bed very comfortable. The decor and furnishings were a bit tired but ok. Don't know what the budget rooms are like. Towels changed each day. Full Scottish breakfast was good and there was plenty of cereal selection. We would definitely use this hotel again because it was really good value and a great location. Ideal if you're on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Bit noisy at the front early morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

On arrival we werent advised about how you give the bank details but pay on arrival. As soon as I get my keys, I went to the bathroom and was welcomed with a discoloured toilet seat and more than 5 long black hairs on the floor. I was looking around to see if it was value for money but came across another hole in the bath panel, dirty marks that could have been cleaned with a little bit of bleech. I was expecting a hairdryer in the room as was advertised but had to go down 3/4 flights of stairs to retrieve one. After I got the hairdryer, I tried it to make sure it worked but it never worked. I had to lie my clothes on the floor as the bottom of the cupboard was matted with dust. Also the room window curtain was manky and very dated just like the decor from the front door until the room we were allocated.
I went to get a few cans of juice once I woke up but there was noone to be seen which left me frustrasted as I had a real sore throat.
The breakfast that was available wasnt even acceptable for a toddler. I was upset that I had to pay more for a breakfast outside the hotel because the one included in our price was appauling.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel? Share your experiences!