“Rude Manager” 1 of 5 stars

Bellahouston Cottage | 1005 Paisley Road West, Glasgow, Scotland
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,323 of 1,840 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Description: This is in Bellahouston Park, across the road from the Police Station.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Rude Manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Although the food is quite good but tends to be unhealthy my bug bear is the manager who is often rude to locals and tends to spread gossip despite not being from there. She also tends to swear and moan a lot whilst doing nothing.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent new-age Pakistani-style 'coffee shop'/diner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The 'Village In The Park' is quite new. It is formed of a takeaway-part/service counter/home delivery. The rest..the 'coffee-shop' style restaurant is very much 'up-market'/new age style 'brasserie'. As such the place is unlicensed for 'booze'..so is alcohol-free. There is a discreet place upstairs that if one wished to 'BYOB' then that may be possible. (Just check with the Maitre'D...when you book...as this may have changed since my review and a full liquor license may be in place).

Having travelled the world myself and had many times in Pakistan and also knowing what some of the food' offerings in Glasgow & environs are like in this style....I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much from the Village In The Park (Glasgow).

We were a table of 3 only and had a typical 'coffee-shop' welcome...not great...but pleasant. It was only when we chatted with the head waiter/Maitre'D and found out that he was a graduate in catering management at the local GCAL university that we began to feel comfortable.

With his 'i-pad' ordering device, he took time to speak to us and advise us of what their specialties were etc., etc.,

He recommended a typical 'sharing platter' to start...which arrived promptly and was a superb mix of 'freshly-made' Pakistani-style chicken-wings, Pakora, Samosas, Chicken-meat kebab' and 3 different 'dipping sauces'. I re-emphasize that it was all freshly made, as one could taste that, even the sauces....just 'divine' and really a bargain at about £7.50 for the three of us....

Loads of non-alcoholic drinks on offer (BYOB available upstairs) and instead of the regular type juices, which are available...we chose the freshly-squeezed Mango juice which was awesome at £2.50 a big glass. They also do typical 'Lassis' (yoghurt-based) and milkshakes...which seemed popular. Remember....this is NOT a typical 'curry house', folks ...this is a 'pukka' Pakistani new-age coffee-shop style restaurant. I mean our total bill for 3 people, with the following main courses and two rounds of big fresh mango-juice was only £50...total!

We were already pleasantly surprised with our mega tasty fresh mango juice...they have cheaper 'Rubicon' juice for less, if you want. The starter platter, if one ordered a bit of rice or freshly-made naan bread would suit most for a full meal. We chose to have a main course each...gluttons...

The Karahi Lamb was a bargain at about £7.50 plus choice of rice. NO mutton here...fresh lamb and fresh spices...the shaved fresh ginger, coriander etc., just made the whole dish so 'zingy' and 'light' (aka not greasy with too much 'ghee', etc). Two of us had the lamb (you can even choose 'on the bone' or boneless!) and both enjoyed very much. Another pal had the Chicken...again fresh...we were so full after our platter starter....just letting you know folks....as if you're not that hungry you could have a very cheap shared meal here for what we all thought was a 'bargain'. You will not get fresher veg/meat cooked in zingy Pakistani spices than this. That's why we were so pleasantly surprised.

We all will definitely go back there, the place was a truly cultural mix of people dining there. It's not intended to be overpriced 'gourmet' stuff. In our experience it was definitely an unexpected 4 star dining and freshly tasty cuisine experience. All for a bargain price. This place probably won't suit some of the '10 pints of lager and a VIndaloo' mob. This place will suit the educated 'Pakistani' food lover (new age). What more can we say? A very unexpected, pleasurable surroundings type of place with truly very good freshly-prepared food to suit both meat and non-meat eaters. Options available for those that wish to BYOB.

Go here with the view that you are going to a Pakistani 'coffee-shop' perhaps 3-star type venue...and I'm sure you will come away with 4-star feelings. This place does not intend/pretend to be 5-star, full stop. However, in our view all of the food was lighter/more exciting than some of the 'Glasgow-scene' attempts at perhaps that level/overpriced stuff/service levels.

We three left feeling we'd had a wonderful fresh/spicy meal for a bargain. Thank you to 'Village In The Park'.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic authentic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Totally agree with the previous post!!! The food is always top notch when you go. But you really wouldn't know its there unless your really looking for it & you have to look quite hard...

If you go just watch out for the BIG pothole as you enter the carpark!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Indian Food and lots of it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Nestled in the grounds of Bellahouston Park, just by the Palace of Art, you wouldn't expect to find a great Indian Restaurant but that it exactly what I found here. The Village in the Park is a sister restaurant to the popular "The Village" in Tradeston. While the Tradeston branch is normally teeming with folk, this is a calmer, quieter but equally top-class culinary experience.

I've been a regular since I moved to the area and I keep coming back for the value and good food.

The buffet never disappoints and this place has introduced me to lots of curries I wouldn't have tried otherwise. In particular, I've become a big fan of their "on the bone" curries as well as the Aloo Keema (mince and potato)... I only wish I could remember the names of half the stuff I've tried here.

The place might not look like much from the outside (I'd driven past it a few times before I noticed it was there!) but the quality and quantity of food has kept me coming back.

It's often broken down into four courses... An exciting salad bar with poppadoms, spiced onions and chutneys as well as a spiced chickpea number to open with, then a hot mixed platter of various pakora, chicken chatt, samosas, kofte and whatever interesting things they feel like feeding you gets delivered to your table. (By interesting things I mean nice and interesting things - I just can't remember the name of them but they're invariably good.)

By this time I'm normally pretty stuffed but experience has taught me to eat the bits I like and leave room for the main event... the Curries!

A range of chicken, lamb and vegetarian curries in varying strengths and subtleties ensure there's something for everyone. As well as the curries there's usually rice as well as a Biryani (and of course you can help yourself to stuff from the salad bar if you fancy it.

They will take your order for whatever Naan you would like and the staff will make sure you're stuffed by the time you leave.

Washed down with a Mango Lassi this is one of my favourite places to eat in Glasgow.

It's rarely busy (due to it's off the beaten track location, not it's quality/value) so you can normally walk in and get seated and fed quite quickly.

I struggle to find any negatives to say about the "Village in the Park" but if I think hard... They don't serve alcohol but that can't be a bad thing because unless you stay in Craigton (near ASDA Govan) you'll probably need to drive there anyway! It's surprising that the service can be a bit slow but that doesn't matter because if you're bored you can just go fill a plate!

I'm a regular for a reason. Great food and lots of it!

It's been around for a while so I'm surprised I'm the first person to review it.

• Visited February 2012