“Horrible food” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Horrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

you waste time to serve food, when you finally serve food you serve rotten old food. Well Done keep up the good work

Visited April 2014

Glasgow
“Atrocious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I'm just back from lunch at the Calabash and I can't quite believe how terrible absolutely everything about it was. First of all it's in dire need of renovation. The toilet area should be condemned and the furniture is perfunctory. As we descended the stairs, what I perceived to be the chatter of other diners was actually the TV blaring, seemingly in competition with the loud rap music coming from the sound system. We were actually the only people in the whole restaurant. We ordered and then we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Eventually the starters came and they were terrible. 40 minutes for freezer shop samosas and deep fried cassava. Then we waited some more and eventually the mains appeared. They were equally awful. Gristly, bony, overcooked meat and spinach saturated in oil, accompanied by a side of some sort of tasteless white paste. Truly awful and expensive as well. Avoid like the plague.

Visited November 2013
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“My first taste of Africa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had seen the calabash while waiting on a bus one day and I was intrigued and was wanting to give it a try, so for my birthday myself and my family went there last night.
Although on First impressions it's not what you would expect from a Bar and Restaurant please don't be put of my sister said it was quite authentic like the places she had been to in Malawi.
The staff and very friendly and helpful and the place was rather busy with a fun vibe and with the music you couldn't help but smile as you ate it was an enjoyable atmosphere.
When seated we were given our menus which gave good break downs of every dish, but the serving staff were more than happy to explain anything you were not sure of, It is a very relaxed place and you do wait for your food as you would in any restaurant were the food is cooked fresh and when it came we had ordered 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 different sides if we had realised the size of the portions we may have ordered slightly less the food itself was very good and packed with amazing flavour and dishes to suit all pallets some traditionally eaten with your hands we got in the spirit and tried this it was all part of the experience and fun although cutlery is also there. My sister had said that it was the closest to the African food in Malawi she had ever come across even though it's mostly Kenyan based with some Ugandan dishes. I would certainly recommend that you try this little piece of Africa hidden in a basement in union street because it feels like the sun is shining down there and it's an experience worth giving a go as it is value for money no matter if having a full meal or making your own meal tapas style with the sides and try a little of everything. Hope this has been useful.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland
“Surprising piece of Africa in Central Glasgow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

An impulse dinner. We were walking down Jamaica Street in Glasgow, and this was the first interesting-looking restaurant we came to. It is down in a basement, which adds to its authentic African atmosphere. The place was fairly well full, mainly with people who were clearly of African origin - again adding to the authentic atmosphere. We were accorded an enormously friendly welcome. My younger son liked it because there was a TV on one wall, with the sound down, so you could hear the music. The value is rally good, as the portions, particularly of the Choma grill dishes are huge. The food is interesting, if not spectacular, but is authentic. A different way to spend the evening.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Expensive and chaotic!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The meal it's self was ok but my husband asked for a portion of pepper soup to take away. The soup itself was bland and the portion size was ridiculous for the £7.95 charged. My husband asked are u sure this is the size which the staff member shrugged and said yes.
The waitress although pleasant and friendly was a little on the slow side. Place was empty when we came in and she sat down with some friends waited a while for drinks and food.
On the whole not the worst experience but the restaurant should maybe take note and make a few changes

• Visited July 2013