“Budget price but below standard.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Charing Cross House to your Saves list
Charing Cross House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   310 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6UW, Scotland   |
Ranked #27 of 39 Glasgow B&B and Inns
“Budget price but below standard.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

DON'T STAY, find other alternatives in Renfrew street. Plenty of options. I had to stay for two days, must say not very clean. However I paid 54 pounds for two nights don't think it was worth it. Side tables where stained with some sticky stuff coffee or something. Cleanliness was the bummer, rest of the facilities like bathroom( stayed in single room with bathroom), heating, wifi was fine not very good

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Staff: friendly and seem to do their job well.

Room: booked double en-suite but were given twin en-suite. Reception staff very apologetic but to be honest this wasn't a huge problem for us. Room itself was clean with fresh, possibly newly decorated en-suite. Decor was a bit dated but we weren't in Glasgow to admire the wallpaper of a B&B! Certainly no damp/mould in our room as other reviewers have experienced. Basic but comfortable.

Location: A little bit outside the hustle & bustle of city centre but a stone's throw from Sauchiehall Street and situated on a fairly quiet street.

Price: We paid £46 for one night which I think is fair.

Room Tip: Request en-suite if possible otherwise you need to share a bathroom with other guests.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
kirkcaldy, fife
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here just recently and the place is absolutely shocking.....luckily enough I never had to spend much time in the room!!! Paper was falling of the walls, mould, damp all over it stale smell and well dated......Cheap price right enough but was glad to get out, never stayed in anywhere as bad as this in my life........!!!!

Room Tip: Top TIP- Book somewhwere else or get bitten by flees
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

my partner and myself stayed here as we had a night out in glasgow.

The website does not show what it is really like!!

Also it said on street parking but NEVER SAID we needed TO PAY! (lucky for us it was just £4) (we ended up parking just round the corner from the hotel and got flour all over our car lol welcome to glasgow!!)

The bed was small, sheets and towels seemed clean, bathroom very small with some mould, lighting was poor, floor could of done with a hoover and our window did not shut.

breakfast was good. The size was not to big nor small. lots to choose from. the waitresses did seem to over whelm you with oppstions but seemed very nice!!

Some staff seemed alright while others looks and acted liked they could not wait to get out of there which was not a grate first impression!!

outside looks really run down

but over all it was fine but i would rather pay that bit more for some where a bit nicer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This place was so bad we didn't stay. Still waiting to find out it we'll get our money back or file a dispute with the credit card company. The room was dirty, the furniture was in disrepair, the bathroom was tiny with mold in the shower. And, the parking was awful. We'd asked for a double bed and got two twins and we booked the room months in advance.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a friend last minute based solely on price. (luckily my hotel was down the road and nice and clean) - I am not by any means a picky customer, but this was a Joke!.

However I went with my friend to check her in and this hotel is a Dump!!! On arrival the receptionist tried to charge me again, and when I challenged this (saying I had already paid) she did not believe me. I had to get my iPhone out and produce my digital banking app to prove the transaction!!

The room stunk of mildewy/damp smell! The duvet was damp.there were stains on the walls and I had to leave due to the overwhelming smell. My friend told me the mattress was like sleeping on a metal grate and she probably would have got a better night sleep on the floor (I'd she dared to lay her head down on it) the toilets and showers are communal and not at all clean- basically STAY AWAY unless your really really really desperate

• Stayed June 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

A late check which went fine, no frills. Had to humph the suitcase up 3 long flights and then entered the most disappointing room I've stayed in.
Hands down the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in although the sheets were clean I didn't like getting into the bed! (noticed an old matress out the back...hopefully the one I slept on is next for replacement!!) So glad it was only one night.
The room was cold, old and just very unwelcoming....not a nice atmosphere. More effort put into the shared bathroom but just average, no more.
The only +ve I can mention is the breakfast. Full Scottish breakfast, hot and prompt.
When checking out I was shocked by all the tripping hazards left scattered by the room maids on the stairs and landings. Very dangerous.
Summed up...it might be cheap but def better choice on the same street.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Charing Cross House? Share your experiences!