“Unexceptional” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Don Costanzo is a newly opened Italian Restaurant located in the basement of 13 Woodside Crescent, Glasgow G3. Formerly the location of Nick Nairn's restaurant, it has been transformed into a warm, homely welcoming restaurant where you can enjoy the best of authentic, home cooked Italian cuisine. Don Costanzo was opened after the closure of The Caprese in Buchanan Street, a long established restaurant of 26 years, owned and run by Costanzo Cacace and his family. Costanzo gained the reputation of offering the best of the best to the best of the best. Clientele from across the globe, famous and not so famous enjoyed what Costanzo offered in the Caprese, fantastic food in a great atmosphere and those people have returned to Don Costanzo for more of the same. Using only the best of ingredients and produce, and with an impressive wine list to suit every taste, a trip to Costanzo's new place will not disappoint. Easily reached from both the city centre and west end with good parking.
“Unexceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

While staying in Glasgow recently we did some research onTripadvisor to identify places to dine. We decided on Don Costanzo, a family run Italian restaurant which had good reviews. The restaurant is located in a basement and has a pleasant ambiance.

The starters and mains comprised traditional pasta, meat and fish dishes. This is not a destination for pizza lovers. The quality of the food was in the main Ok with good quality ingredients but I would not rate it as highly as many of the other reviewers. My partner found that her starter was smothered in a vinaigrette sauce. I must also agree with other reviewers who pointed out that the specials for the day were not priced so we had to ask the waitress to provide prices for the starters which we considered to be on the high side.

The service was very good and attentive. The staff take care to top up your wine glass, personally I prefer to do this myself and had to ask the waiter to stop. The only aspect of our dining experience which caused some dismay was the behaviour of the boss who takes time to interact with customers. We got the impression that he tends to ingratiate himself with regulars and has less time for those who may be passing through which can irritate.

Visited August 2013
jo1904, Manager at Don Costanzo, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I will cut to the chase here. You have never been in our restaurant have you? I say this for several reasons. Firstly, it seems that you have gone through all of our previous reviews, picked out the negative ones of which there are few and repeated almost everything they said! Your partner had a starter smothered in a vinaigrette sauce? Very strange as we do not use vinaigrette. Perhaps you misread the review that you copied of the person who did not like the seafood salad because it had vinegar on it, a crucial ingredient for our seafood salad. Our specials change daily hence why they are not on the menu but we are happy to give prices for everything if asked.

Now onto your next huge blatant error. We do not have any waiters, only waitresses, so I am perplexed as to who this was who was constantly topping up your wine glass, an imposter perhaps or a figment of your imagination, but our female members of staff could never be mistaken for men, we're not that bad surely!

I'm not sure whether you were irritated by something "the boss" said or whether you were just irritated that he didn't speak to you but as you have never been in our restaurant and this review is a huge work of fiction then we will not bother ourselves by your strange remarks about our chef/owner. This review has been reported to Trip Advisor, go off and troll somewhere else.

Glasgow
“Consistently great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I eat at Don Costanzos pretty regularly and have recommended it to many friends and business contacts. The ethos which they had at Caprese has followed them to their new Woodlands restaurant. Warm welcome, lovely wines, attentive service and authentic homecooked Italian food made with the best possible ingredients. Unlike many restaurants who have their catering suppliers delivering what they need, it's the chef/owners Costanzo himself who gets up in the early hours to get to the markets and select what vegetables, fish etc he wants for that day. Quality is never compromised.

The old adage that you get what you pay for is so true. If you want mediocre, production line type Italian food then there's plenty to choose from in Glasgow. If you want real Italian food from a family run restaurant then there's only a very small handful in Glasgow doing it. Don Costanzo is one of them.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“A Real Winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

M. y husband and I were staying at 15 Glasgow and looking for a restaurant within walking distance of the b&b. Boy, did we luck out. What a wonderful experience. Truly authentic Italian food that was delicious. I had cold veal with tuna sauce as an appetizer and risotto Milanese as a main course. My husband had spaghetti with meat balls. Everything was terrific.

And, the service is outstanding. Our server was charming and extremely efficient. The owner came out of the kitchen and chatted with us. A very interesting man. He and his daughter really enhanced our experience. The quality of the food alone would have made our evening lovely, but the personal touch made it really something special.

If you feel like having Italian food when you are in Glasgow, this is the place to go.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Okayish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Unfortunately I can't help but agree with SOME of the truth told by "JoannaTDm Birmingham" and " Uncle_Martin Junction 10 M6 ", see reviews below.
Been there tonight and have been disappointed. First off we haven't been offered any of the today's specials, the boss spent the whole time taking care of the other two tables that were obviously regulars but has never come to our table, sorry it was only our first time there, we'll make sure we'll come back so the boss thinks we are worth 2 minutes...
The starters were average, I had the tonno con flagioli that was nothing else but tuna out of a can (because of all the reviews I read I was expecting fresh tuna bits, may have put my expectations too high...) with beans, also out of a can with some rocket salad, some olive oil and balsamico vinegar. My partner had the mozzarella di buffala, not much to say about it, it was quite disappointing specially knowing it costs £8, before the manager responds that "We use only the best quality ingredients and products in our dishes and if you want the best then sadly the high cost that we pay for our cuts of meat and fresh vegetables have to be passed onto the customer" I'm gonna say that yes I do know the mozzarella di buffala is expensive but it doesn't hurt to pimp up the plate a little so it looks like it's worth £8.. Some homemade pesto and/or a balsamico reduction wouldn't hurt anybody for example. Anyways as soon as we saw/tasted the starters I called the waitress and asked to change my main from the £25 steak to a more modest lasagne, wasn't keen to end up with a £75 bill for something that far from amazing. The mains were good, tasty, above average, my lasagne were fine, although they came without any side salad or any side dish in fact and my partner's spaghetti bolognese were also good, although it was a rather small portion. Once again before the judge dredd comes tell me good food comes expensive we're talking pasta here, I know what it costs to make some and beside the extra 30gr of -minced- beef, the cost for making a bigger portion would be very very little. Did order some tiramisu but was told it was not ready yet so couldn't try it, no big deal there.
I'd like to add that at the end of our meal the table next to ours was told the specials (lucky people!) BUT the waitress did not tell them ANY prices for them, in contrary to what is said as a respond to another review if these people ordered anything from the specials, they were not aware of their cost.
The service was good, they really took care of us, specially the young woman with the glasses. Overall we were disappointed, with 72 5 stars reviews out of 83 we were expecting something outstanding, this was very far from it.
In my opinion 5 stars is something that is perfect in every aspect, and surely this can't be it, I don't believe our experience was much different from many others, how could it be?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Quite simply the best Italian restaurant on Glasgow. Friendly , welcoming and fabulous food. The whole package. If I could give it 10 stars I would

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere