“Nice but not a patch on the US version” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brazilian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Scotland
“Nice but not a patch on the US version”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Having recently visited Viva Brasil for lunch my first impression was pleasant enough surroundings but why we were we waiting at the bar for a seat when there were clearly empty, non reserved tables available.

Eventually seated and asked if we knew how the concept works, we've been to Texas de Brazil in US (by far superior - the Americans know how to do it), so knew how it worked and helped ourselves to the buffet. The meat on offer was nice but sometimes a bit too much fat and very well seasoned to the point of being slightly too salty at times. You'll notice there is no salt or pepper on the tables - it's not needed here.

I must mention that in the window of the restaurant it gives a synopisis of what to expect for the price and this specifically specifies garlic mash, bananas and bread served to your table but this didn't happen or look as if it ever happened as these were sort of provided at the salad bar. I say sort of as the mash wasn't garlic and the beautiful brasilian cheese bread was hard as a rock small cheese bread balls (only way i can describe them).

The service was appalling except for the waiters with the meat who tried to make sure everyone had some if their card was green. As for the waitresses, I had to follow one round the restaurant in order to catch her atention to order desparately needed drinks, due to the over seasoned meats, and a dessert (choice of 4 only). The only fish/seafood offering was at the buffet and was smoked fish in a cream sauce. It was nice but again as it was smoked, more salty food. Do they do this to encourage more spending on drinks I wonder?

Again, attempts to catch the attention of a waitress for the bill was impossible and we ended up going to pay directly at the till.

I did enjoy my meal here but they have a long way to go to be able to match even in a small way the original concept and the customer service training needs of the staff are very apparent. Would I go back, probably not as there are other restaurants with the same concept around the area so would likely try one of them first.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, UK
“Unique BBQ experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went for the first time last weekend with friends and as we had a concert to go to we booked a table for 4.45pm which was great as before 5pm the BBQ price is only £13.95 rather than £23.95. For that we certainly got good value for money. My only slight nag is that I thought the waiters were coming round with lots of the same meats and not the advertised 10 different cuts of meat. On the plus side though, the portions they do give you are not massive so you don't feel like you are overeating but still, at the end of the night we were all pretty full. The salad bar and variety of veg was fanastic too, had to go easy on it though to leave enough room for all the meat.
The place was busy on a Saturday night but it had a nice buzz to it and service was very good too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is fantastic value for money. Food is good service is good , staff constantly round table carving meat no shortage of meat plenty choice

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Ive been here 4 times, three times I was hugely dissapointed. I love the concept of the place and the actual restaurant is beautiful but everytime you go you get totally done. they dont have nearly enough meat out, the first two times i went we were offered no meat for the first 45 minutes, im not exaggerating, it really was 45 minutes. they advertise 20 varieties of meat but for some reason the guy just walks around with the same sad looking lump of gammon, i looked at the menu on my 4th trip and i hadnt on any of my trips been offered over half of what they put on there.

the food in the buffet section is great but the point of this is try many varieties of meat and you pay quite a lot for that but i didnt get that experience and i think 4 trips was enough to know that this place just isnt run very well at all.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me for my birthday, the staff were very welcoming. II didn't know you had to book in at the desk however and we just sat down and had some lovely cocktails.a. Staff member seated us,i asked if we could have a booth at the back and we were moved no problem.
I don't eat a lot of meat but what i had was so tasty,the guys were floating around all the time with meat to replenish plates, we went for aa 10pm sitting and we were not rushed out.
all in its great tasting food at reasonable prices.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere