“Home from home apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Glasgow Hotel

You added Menzies Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Menzies Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Washington Street, Glasgow G3 8AZ, Scotland (Anderston)   |
Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Home from home apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Myself and the missus had booked a night in one of their delux double rooms as we were attending a gig. On arrival we were told that there was availability problems since booking our room and they had upgraded us to an apartment at no extra cost. Staff were great the apartment was brilliant and breakfast was also delivered to the apartment which saved us having to face a crowd while hungover. All in all a great place to stay

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My friend and I decided to book a night away in Glasgow and we stayed in the Menzies Hotel. Bedroom very spacious and comfortable. Room service for food and drinks was overpriced. Pool and Jacuzzi were excellent - especially as we were the only people using the facilities.

Room Tip: We were on second floor - room was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and were disappointed. The hotel is completely overrated. Rooms are spacious but furniture used to have better times, maybe15 years ago. The worst was that my WC did'nt run very well and when I arrived to the room it had a spoiled smell. I realized thereafter that it came from the WC, as I had to call and ask the reception to take care of this issue twice!. The people came to the room and left the toilette dirty. When you arrive from a all-day long conference you want to enjoy a nice shower and not to see how dirty they left your bathroom! Another "no way" point for a 4 stars hotel: the fridge was empty! I compained at the receiption and instead of filling the fridge they just limited to give me two small bottles of water. The first night I had to order one water and pay it by my own in the restaurtant! No chips, peanuts or anything else available in the room. The staff was friendly, but they limited to do their job and did not show any special attention to the guests. Breakfast was awful, I could't decide what to choose and not because everything looked tasty, but because everything looked uneatable. I would never recomment this hotel, specially the relation price-service is terrible!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Menzies Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Eilrug

Thank you for your review and I was very sorry to read you were disappointed with regard to your stay and please accept my apololgies. I have tried to contact you via the site to understand more about your stay and to speak to you directly, I have not had any response to my e-mail.

In relation to your room I would agree that the hotel has a more traditional look and feel to it than our newer competitors. I would however clarify that the standard of the case goods are still as good as the day they were fitted – I am sorry that you felt they were of a 3 star standard but understand your points.

In relation to the toilet and the flushing mechanism I believe the concierge did come up to try to resolve it which they managed to do. Sadly, with all mechanical parts we do not know they have failed until it happens I am sorry your room was affected. I was however very concerned that you felt they left your bathroom untidy and have ensure this has been resolved so no other guest is affected in this way as that is certainly not indicative.

In relation to your comments in relation to Fridges in the rooms – our standard rooms are provided with Mini Fridges which are not stocked and I am sorry if this was not clarified with you at the time. We do have executive rooms and apartments that have extra toiletries, bathrobes and the mini bar is stocked with soft drinks and snacks. It would appear as a gesture the team put in mineral water.

Your comments re breakfast I cannot understand as we get very positive feedback with relation to our breakfast offering with over 100 various items on our buffets and I can only apologise.

I am really sorry that you did not speak to my management team as I am sure that if you had done so we could have explained about your room booking and would have done all we could to ensure your stay in Glasgow was to your total satisfaction.

I do hope that I can welcome you back in the future and please do contact me directly in the future.

Sincerely

Philip
Philip Mellor
Regional General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Day delegate at a conference. Food fabulous and lovely little touches e.g. Bacon rolls at start! However, staff need to put additional flasks of coffee out as I went to get a cup at all 3 breaks and it was empty and had to actively go and search for staff!!

Room Tip: Did not sleep but cannot switch off!!
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a weekend conference venue with excellent facilities so would very much consider for any pleasure visit to Glasgow. Only a few hundred yards from Central Railway Station and an easy walk in ten minutes. Save the cost of a taxi if your case has wheels. Equally only 15 minutes walk back through the station and you are in the city centre for the shopping and attractions. The hotel is a well appointed old mill conversion, hence the rather plain exterior but the rooms are very clean and spacious with all expected appointments, comfy beds with quality bedding, telly with freeview, iron, hair dryer fridge etc, bright roomy bathroom with rapidly filling bath and powerful shower. There's also a great leisure and fitness facility including a pool, sauna and steam room. All in all, a great place to stay with kind and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a corner room. They seemed a little larger with views in two directions
Turriff, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have stayed here several times and keep returning. Good location, nice restaurant, fantastic staff and a lovely pool, sauna etc area make an unbeatable combination as far as we are concerned.
We booked a weekend visit to spend time with our daughter before her final push towards her final exams at Uni. Arriving on a Friday afternoon we headed straight for the pool and a relaxing swim after a long drive from Glencoe. The sauna and steam room were extremely hot and very relaxing, Jacuzzi was over subscribed but good when we got into it. Dinner on the Saturday night was included and not brilliant, had to complain about the steak...never order a £13 steak is the lesson here. The £26 one the previous night was much better value.
Breakfasts were very good. The hotel is great for a bit of shopping, a 15 minute walk into town and handy for the west end where the pubs are brilliant,
Still our favourite hotel in Glasgow.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We took advantage of the offer of a two nights stay including dinner on one night, that was very reasonably priced. It was our first visit to this hotel, we have stayed at the Marriott which is across Argyle Street from it, so we knew the area and were acquainted with the hotel. The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. Our room was a typical hotel room, was reasonably large and had all the usual facilities. Breakfast and dinner were served in the restaurant on the ground floor, and were of a good standard and quality. There is a secured car parking area beside an old school near the hotel and is available for residents at a good price. The hotel is beginning to look a bit aged both outside and in some of the public areas inside. We were not disappointed staying at this hotel, on what turned out to be special weekend. COYR.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Menzies Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!