“Handy hotel with great staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Glasgow Hotel

Save Saved
You added Menzies Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Menzies Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Washington Street, Glasgow G3 8AZ, Scotland (Anderston)   |
Ranked #20 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Handy hotel with great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Menzies is a smashing hotel near the centre of Glasgow with easy parking. The staff are very helpful,informative and always have a smile and greeting for every guest. Our room was clean and adequate with a large comfortable bed though the air con was a bit noisy. The breakfast is excellent with lots of choice and our dinner on Saturday evening was super and served by attentive staff. A very pleasant evening. The young bar staff and the concierge could not have been better. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a visit to Glasgow at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the 7th floor, no wifi reception.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,007 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Overnight stay with family. Spacious corner room and although a bit tired looking, clean and very comfortable. Free wifi, although a bit erratic. Swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym, nice bar. Good breakfast and good value for money. What stood out for me was the staff - friendly & helpful!

• Stayed March 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had an excellent overnight stay here last weekend. The rooms are large and comfortable. The meal in the dining room was delicious. The health club facilities are excellent. But the thing I would praise most is the staff. All were friendly, helpful and cheerful. I would like to especially praise the restaurant staff who were attentive and very helpful. It is great having Sky Sports and free wifi, all for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

another year another review of this hotel firstly i have been going to this hotel every year for at least 15 years and every year i feel the need to defend it after reading a few negative reviews among the many great ones i note some mention the exterior and the area the hotel is in . i have been out late at night and walked back to the hotel and felt perfectly safe yes its in an industrial area .SO WHAT.I dont feel the need to look out of the window marriott and the hylton are across the road both of which i have stayed in and menzies is far better .once inside you can see where they prefer to spend their money ON THE INSIDE which is where other hotels fail. the rooms are fantastic .spacious with everything you need.i love the apartments and would gladly move in one to live .the food is fantastic as is every member of staff you will meet the spa and pool are to die for I think some people will moan no matter what they get. i cant wait to go back this year
STILL THE BEST IN GLASGOW

Room Tip: all rooms are fab
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I stay here on average 3 times a year and have done for several years. My purpose is business travel and my thoughts are based on that. The hotel is becoming very dated and gone are the bathrobes and the complimentary water - not to mention the mash, smoke haddock and poached egg! Time to look for something fresher I feel.

• Stayed March 2013
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Menzies Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Leekins,

Thank you for submitting your review. I did try to contact you directly through the site to understand more about your stay and particular which room you stayed in so I could take appropriate action unfortunately I have not been successful to date.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment in relation to your room - the items that you felt were missing on your most recent stay – the bathrobes and mineral water are still provided in our Superior rooms and Apartments. However we do have a stock of robes that are available on request from reception.

In relation to the menu I do take your comments on board - the Smoked Haddock dish was taken off the menu purely due to lack of sales and I have spoken to the Chef who was disappointed to hear of your comments and I can assure you that the feedback in relation to the cuisine is not indicative. I am sure you will have noticed we receive very positive feedback via the reviews on the site – Chef did ask to mention when next visiting to Glasgow please do let us know and he will this dish available for you as a special dish.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith and when you are next travelling to Glasgow please contact me directly Philip.mellor@menzieshotels.co.uk so I may personally welcome you back.

Philip
Philip Mellor
Regional General Manager
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After an awful day of planes, trains and buses in the bitter cold this hotel was just what I needed to revive my spirits. Efficient check in by the cheerful receptionist, large warm room with a bed big enough to play football on, hot powerful shower, excellent gym and a relaxing swim afterwards. My steak and glass of merlot were as good as any that I've been served in the most pretentious of gastro pubs. For the weary business traveller look no further, the staff are friendly and accommodating, the facilities are spot on and the rooms are large and well equipped with tea/coffee, big bed, big telly a functioning steam iron and a great shower! Would definitely use again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Armadale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

So here goes... my first review. I've never done this before because I've never felt the need or urge... but I need to write about this hotel. OK so it isn't placed on one of the most glamourous streets in the world and also being close to a busy motorway overpass doesn't inspire much hope, but this hotel is truely a little gem. It was noted that most main chain hotels were in and about the same area, which does have a very industrial feeling... so if you are going to pick any of them based on location pick this one! A short stroll along Argyle Street at the back of the hotel brings you into the main buzz of Glasgow City and everything that it has to offer! The hotel exterior doesn't do much to inspire the imagination either... but once you step inside you can see exactlly why this hotel has earned it's four stars it is elegantly and tastfully decorated. The reception staff were extremely pleasant and welcoming and although we had arrived a little early we were delighted to be informed that our apartment was ready for us. There is parking available across the road which is secure. There is a fee to pay but it is nominal and well worth it to know that your car is safe and secure. Our room was an apartment which was large and spacious but also cosy at the same time. We had our own facilities to cook if we so wished, but we were on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate... however the fridge came in handy to chill the bottle of Champagne that I had bought along to celebrate Mother's Day. What I thought was a fabulous touch was the complimentary mini bar filled with soft drinks and snacks... handy for late night munchies :)
My mum and I spent some time in the leisure facilities, which I found to be just brilliant... quaint and warm are the words that spring to mind, there was even a television playing MTV in the changing room as well as hairdryers and a swimwear drying facility which were a nice touch. Towels were also complimentary for guests. We also indulged in some spa treatments and for once I didn't feel like a complete dafty swanning about a hotel with my dressing gown on. I was delighted with the treatments as the girls were able to give us both our treatments together in the same room. The hours massage was HEAVEN! Afterwards we were on the hunt for some champagne flutes to enjoy the bought bottle and the lovely staff were able to help us out quickly and efficiently. Dinner in the Brasserie was AMAZING!! The food was fantastic and I couldn't fault it or the service. Paulina in particular was very attentive. Breakfast was also a well handled affair. You can choose self-service but they also have a few extras on the menu if you wish to order something to be made. I cannot fault this place at all!! Excellent value for money! All the little extra touches as well as the fabulous staff just make the place excellent!! My mum and I have both agreed that we will be back for another break away soon. We were made to feel like royalty!

Room Tip: The apartments offer fabulous space as well as self-catering facilities if you so wish.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Menzies Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!