“external looks may deceive, but the place is good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Glasgow Hotel

You added Menzies Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Menzies Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Washington Street, Glasgow G3 8AZ, Scotland (Anderston)   |
Ranked #24 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Mumbai, India
“external looks may deceive, but the place is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have lived at this hotel thrice and all 3 times it was a wonderful experience. the staff is very warm and welcoming from paul the bell boy to john the guy at the reception. the rooms are also very nice and inviting. and the bathroom is also very clean. the clyde river runs a few mins away from the hotel where evening walks can be taken. hotel is 5-10 mins walk from central glasgow. breakfast spead was also good. they also have a heated pool which is open till 10pm. suite rooms are the size of 2 double rooms with a free mini bar ;-)

Room Tip: ask for the suite
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Menzies Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Dear Zeeshan I,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review, I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and thank you for highlighting your satisfaction. Thank you also for your kind comments in relation to our team and for highlighting John and Paul, your comments are very much appreciated and we will be nominating these members at our next employee lunch for a customer service award.

It was very kind of you to highlight the spaciousness of our rooms – especially our Executive rooms and that you saw the benefits of booking this particular room type.

Once again many thanks for you kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel

Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Everyone's an expert - that's the beauty of freedom of speech working hand in hand with trip advisor. Considering this it's become remarkably easy (and faceless) for people to be negative about experiences without thought for the impact they may have. Tough economic times have made it increasingly difficult for businesses to remain competitive without having to compromise in someway on either service standards or their actual offering. Well, I tell you now that this place is bucking that trend and they need congratulating!

I've stayed here twice now, both times in a suite (right at the end of the corridor, door straight in front of you is the better of the two I've stayed in but either are first class) Reason for the suite is occasionally I need to bring my long suffering partner with me when I come to a Rangers match (I'm too nice, I know this!) and to have a bit of R&R either side of my few hours up the Paisley Road West.

Parking: Awkward on first visit, got this sussed now though. It's both secure and safe and once through the gates is a weight of your mind.

Reception: Professional, helpful and knowledgeable. Can't fault them. Always smiling and always well presented.

Bar: Excellent service, friendly guys accommodating with all requests. Nice booths for a quiet bottle of wine as well. Very good experience - no need to venture into the City each evening that's for sure.

Dinner: (Restaurant) Of a high standard which was better than I'd anticipated and was worth the price. Service was efficient and courteous.

Dinner: (Room Service) Same high standard of food with excellent service. Laid out and presented on the table in the suite, just totally professional from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble.

Breakfast: (Room Service) As above. I actually woke up early one morning and was looking forward to the experience that much it made me twice as hungry. The quality and quantity of food didn't disappoint when it arrived either!

Room Facilities: I would be scraping the barrel to find any negatives here. Perfect. From movie choices and first class bathroom facilities to the view from the lounge area and the attentive nature of staff with both food and drink room service.

Spa/Treatments: Possibly my only gripe here would be the lack of available slots for my good lady. On the second visit (so possibly complacency on our part) I just presumed she'd be taken care of with nails, massage, hair etc however it wasn't to be. I'm not sure but I think it was a franchise of a local beautician in Glasgow? Anyway my advice here would be to book well in advance to not be left disappointed.

This hotel is the perfect advertisement of you get what you pay for and after our three nights on the second visit we once again left happy (Rangers had won, we were relaxed, had both good food and wine and were expertly looked after by every single member of staff we encountered) and totally satisfied with the rather large bill we had created...

If you want a touch of luxury when in Glasgow - stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Foodforh…..

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent and detailed review, I was delighted that you had a great return stay with us and we set up your weekend and I have passed on your feedback to my team.

Thank you also for highlighting the quality of the food via both the Brasserie and Roomservice for both dinner and breakfast and also for your kind comments about the helpfulness of the team

I was very pleased to read your kind comments in relation to our Apartments and for highlighting the facilities and the benefits of these rooms – we are very proud to have this facility.

I was sorry to read that your wife was unable to book a slot at with the Spa – Savannah Spa, they do normally have spaces, it was unfortunate on this particular weekend that they were fully booked and could not squeeze your wife in – the owner of the facility sends her apologies and next time you are thinking of staying with us please do contact the Spa directly prior to arrival to book the treatments to avoid disappointment.

Once again many thank for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in near future.

dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed here over a weekend and had a dinner and b&b rate.The rooms are very spacious and well equipped. Dinner was excellent on the first night. Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection, but as with most of these there were times when we had to wait for particular items.
Staff were very helpful regarding a bit of flexibility at checkout. Used the leisure club before leaving and it was great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear SatchmoDu…

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to hear that you found the dinner in the Brasserie excellent, however I was concerned to read your comments in relation to breakfast and I have following your feedback asked my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to review our buffet procedures.

I was pleased to hear that you found all the staff very friendly and that reception were flexible with your check out times and you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Best wishes

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Only stayed one night (attending concert at SECC) but was very impressed. Rooms very spacious and large beds. Only had breakfast, but this was very good with a great selection. Did have to wait in queue, but only a few minutes. Very handy for SECC and also easily walkable to city centre. Have stayed in nearby Mint Hotel, but I prefer this hotel and think it is far better value. Would certainly return - in fact going back later this month.
The hotel has private parking, but evenings and weekends are no problem parking in street outside.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mikee,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your positive review. I was delighted you had a great stay with us and appreciate your kind comments in relation to the size of our bedrooms and that you saw the benefits of our location to all the local attractions, city centre and how close we are to the SECC.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Glasgow late on in the month.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed at the Menzies hotel in Glasgow twice in the last four weeks with different groups of people and have found it a nice friendly hotel with old fashioned charm. It may not be very modern or flash, but it does have nice comfortable rooms, a leisure centre and friendly staff. The hotel is convenient if you are able bodied, as its about a 15 walk to Buchannon Street. The highlight of the hotel for me was the staff, they could not do enough for you. They were friendly, obliging and very kind. Nothing was too much trouble for any member. On my first trip there it was a friends birthday and a birthday card was left for her in her room. On my second trip I asked for the room to be changed as there was an unpleasant smell.The receptionist even though she was very busy upgraded the room and alerted a manager to my complaint. When I went to collect the key the manager met me and showed me to my room. I wasn't expecting this but she said she wanted to make sure the room was ok and to check the room I had left. Room service was very quick and all staff were always helpful throughout both stays. The food is good and the entire stay was great value priced wise. If you want a friendly reasonable stay in a friendly hotel with all amenities and a short walk from the city, this is your place.

Room Tip: Ask about upgrades, staff very helpful.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Sinead265

Thank you for your great review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your return stay with us and we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor we really appreciate it.

I was sorry to read that the initial room you entered had a strange smell and we have had this investigated once you had highlighted it. It was great to read that once you contacted reception that the team did all they could to resolve it to your satisfaction.

I was pleased to also read that you saw the benefits or our location to the city centre and that we offer great value for money.

Once again many thanks for your kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel and when you next have a requirement please do not hesitate to contact me directly on philip.mellor@menzieshotels.co.uk.

Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here early November, on a 3 day trip from Belfast.
Although we were not interested in the leisure facilities, pool etc they looked great.
We were very pleased with all aspects of the hotel, and intend to return.
Cleanliness, food quality and value, and the care taken by all staff to assist in any way, was great. Dennis in the bar was particularly helpful and efficient.
We are fussy people and complain if necessary. That was not the case with the Menzies Glasgow Hotel - it was a pleasure to to stay in this hotel. Praise where it is due.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear BelfastJa,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review, I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and thank you for highlighting your satisfaction. Thank you also for you kind comments in relation to our Cocktail Barman “Dennis”- your comments are very much appreciated and we will be nominating Dennis our next employee lunch for a customer service award.

Regional General Manager
Lancaster, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

Enjoyable stay with my wife and two daughters. Staff were very helpful, pool and gym were great and the breakfasts were marvellous. The hotel is very clean, our room was cleaned every day and we had a great time.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Emmyoueff,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your positive review. I was delighted you had a great stay with us and appreciate your kind comments in relation to the size of our bedrooms and you saw the benefits of our location to all the local attractions and city centre.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Regional General Manager

Been to Menzies Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!