“Ideal hotel & location for Business Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Glasgow Hotel

You added Menzies Glasgow Hotel to your Saves list
Menzies Glasgow Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Washington Street, Glasgow G3 8AZ, Scotland (Anderston)   |
Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Ideal hotel & location for Business Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at the Glasgow Menzies hotel on 5th October 2011. The hotel is situated close to the M8 but within 10 mins walking distance of Grand Central Station. I used the very comfortable bar seating area in the afternoon for a business meeting. The hotel provides free wifi access throughout which make a nice change not having to pay expensive connection and usage charges unlike some other chains I could mention! The staff were polite and attentive the bedroom was quit large and well appointed. I only had a slight issue concerning cold plates at the hot buffet breakfast, which resulted in an apology and I noticed the fact was immediately written on the duty managers sheet.
I will certainly stay here again on my next visit to Glasgow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Menzies Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Philinda...

Thank you for taking the time to submit your positive review. I was delighted you had great stay with us and appreciate your kind comments in relation to the lounge area that you utilized for your business meeting.

Thank you also for highlighting the benefit of our location and free wifi that we offer throughout the hotel and for the kind comments in relation to friendliness of all the staff members that you came into contact with - I will ensure that my team share in your kind praise.

I was sorry to read your comments in regard to cold plates at breakfast but pleased to read that we had already taken action to rectify this when you mentioned this on your departure.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Glasgow in the near future.

Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Polish first
N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We've stay here many times and we've always been treated very well. This occasion was no different. The hotel was the busiest we've seen it but this did not impact on the service and quality we received. (obviously word is getting around about how good this hotel is!). We stayed in one of the suites and had a superb time. I wish I could take the bed home it was so comfortable. We look forward to a return visit very soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and the suites are terrific for families or those who just like extra room...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Holly,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent review, I was delighted to read that you had a great return stay and thank you for highlighting the benefits of booking one of our Apartments

Once again many thanks for you kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Check-in and check-out - friendly, efficient and quick. Could not fault the service in any way.
room - clean, well equipped, modern, spacious and fresh with everything I needed for a comfortable night away from home without having to pack the kitchen sink - tea and coffee making facilities plus iron and ironing board - Mar Hall take note!!!
Bar - friendly, knowledgeable staff. Soup and sandwich lunch far superior to the dingy and slightly tatty Mar Hall.
Pool facilities - clean, well equipped and pleasant with helpful friendly staff.
This hotel beats the so called 5 star Hilton and Mar Hall hands down in every aspect. Better rooms, nicer location, well trained, pleasant and friendly staff, clean spa/pool and excellent value for money. It also has a very nice ambiance and is a great place to enjoy a drink or two and bite to eat after a hard days shopping in town or a show at the SECC. I look forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Mrs G,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review and I was pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations. I was pleased to read that you saw the benefits of our location to the SECC and the closeness to the City centre as well as the size of our rooms.

I am sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet you during your stay hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,

North Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My son and I stayed here for 3 nights in August. Good value for the money. Breakfast wasn't fantastic, but food quality was good and selection adequate. Service was always very good and efficient. Pool looked very nice even though we didn't have a chance to use it. Room was clean and comfortable. What we liked most was convenience- a short walk to centre of Glasgow. Tourist sightseeing bus stopped in front of hotel. We would definitely stay here again if we return to Scotland.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Maintains the Menzies standard of comfort and service. Hotel is comfortable and with all amenities and is conveniently located for the city centre, musuems, river walking and buses and trains. Parking is available and secure. Very happy with this choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Maybe the Menzies isn't my idea of a 'luxury hotel.' The room I shared with my sister and my 6 year old daughter was very comfortable and spacious, but really needed re-decorating, including the bathroom. We arrived from London cold and tired, only to find the air conditioning in the room was out of order. We rang down and reported it to reception who promised to send someone from maintenance up. We waited for 40 mins, but no one showed up. We spoke to David on reception (on our way out to familiarize ourselves with the local area) who said he would arrange for a heater to be brought up. We arrived back at the hotel an hour later to find our room (316 on the 3rd floor) lovely and warm! Getting up the following morning was difficult as the bed was so comfortable! The neon sign from the Marriot hotel across the road could be clearly seen from our window which was really nice for my daughter who hates sleeping in the dark. The breakfast was excellent; a wide range of everything was available. The greatest success of the Menzies however, has to be the amazing staff. From the lovely ladies who vacuumed our room and changed our towels to the those on reception and those who served us breakfast so courteously each morning; the staff were simply wonderful! The atmosphere at the hotel was warm and friendly and I have to say that the sweetie jars at reception and in the breakfast were a really big hit with my daughter!
The hotel is located at the end of Argyll street which is an approximately 10-12 minute walk from the main shopping area. The handy thing about the hotel location is that it is very quiet in terms of traffic (definitely a plus, as far as we were concerned!) There's a bus stop directly outside the back of the hotel which serves a number of buses including the Glasgow tour bus.
In spite of being in need of redecorating, the Menzies is great. I would highly recommend this hotel and plan to return next summer. To give this hotel anything less than 5 stars would be unfair.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Menzies Glasgow Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Georginab..

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your break and had a lovely time with us and thank you for the feedback.

I was however saddened to read that your particular room was in need of decoration, be assured that this is not indicative, and we are currently in process of redecorating a selection of rooms throughout the hotel and we have program of bathroom redecoration also taking place – thank you for mentioning this.

I was also concerned to read that your particular room the heating was malfunctioning and from your comments I have ask or engineers to look into that particular room as we were unaware of it – I am sorry we could not fix it on the day but pleased to read that the portable heater provided proved to be the ideal solution.

I would also like to thank you for the great feedback in relation to our staff and helpfulness and friendliness that you encountered from all departments – I will ensure that the team are made aware of your feedback.

Thank you again for submitting your great review and I look forward to welcoming your back next summer.

Sincerely

Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

This 4 star hotel does not fail to meet the four stars rating it currently holds and I will be staying again

Food and wine are of a very high standard.

Staff are so kind and helpful

Hugh

Room Tip: anyone staying will get a good standard room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Hugh

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent review following your 3rd visit, I was delighted that you had a great break with us and I have passed on your feedback to my team.

Thank you also for highlighting the quality of the Brasserie for food and wine and also for your kind comments about our team and the hotel in general it is much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in near future

Philip

Been to Menzies Glasgow Hotel? Share your experiences!