My wife and I stayed here the night we went to see Robbie Williams. Overall we had a poor experience but there were some positives.
- On arrival it took over half an hour to check in, although this could be expected because of how busy it was, however it did not appear as though the hotel made any effort to speed things along with more staff for example.
- The room we were put in was the equivalent of a rundown caravan bedroom. Although the bathroom was nice, the sleeping area was dated, had holes in the walls, the door had been kicked in and repaired, cobwebs on roof, and overall very small. The view was of the entrance shelter of Queen Street Station. Not the standard you would expect of a 4 star, and to make it worse my wife had stayed here before and paid the same price for a much nicer room.
- When we went to complain about the room we had another 40 minute wait to be seen. We were offered to move room if we waited more but we were out of patience.
- The next morning was when it got worse, we got woke up at 7 in the morning with the announcements at the train station, having two young kids (left with grandparents) we had been looking forward to our first lie in a long time. NO CHANCE. That was us up as there was announcements every couple of minutes.
- Just gave up on the lie in and went to breakfast and checked out. On leaving my wife took the chance to have another wee moan at reception and was told by Donna "What do you expect, we are a city centre hotel!", not very understanding response.
- After check in we asked the bar for an ice bucket to keep a bottle of fizzy chilled for us getting back, and the barman took the bottle and stored it in their fridge until we wanted it.
- When we complained about the standard of the room we were refunded £50, which did help calm my wife down a little. The manager who discussed the refund was pretty cold with us, but Michelle who processed it couldn’t have been more friendly, perhaps the only one who genuinely apologised.
Considering we booked the hotel 6 months in advance, I do not understand how we ended up in what must have been the worst room in the building. Really wish we had just got a taxi home, but as I said we thought it would have been a treat to have a morning without the kids. Would never consider staying here again.
We were put in room 227, so if you ever check in and are handed that room you know what to expect.
Don't stay in 227.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.