I booked this B+B for one night on the cheap. Therefore, I wasn't expecting The Savoy so I arrived with low expectations which were lowered further upon viewing the broken steps up to the front door. The receptionist seemed friendly enough as she handed me my TV remote and an old fashioned key. I climbed the grimy stairs to my room which had the smallest bed known to man (even for me at 5'2"). The layout of the furniture was weird too. It smelt rather like an old peoples' home in the 1970s too, but it was warm and clean. Upon visiting the bathroom, I noticed mould on the shower curtain and the smell of stale urine. In the second bathroom there were two bins containing straw like fluid, but I did not stick around to see what that was. The corridors looked like they had been half finished with the rough wood edges and the worn wallpaper curled at intermittent points.
I decided to go straight to bed as I was fairly tired and I was amused by the plastic mattress heightening every movement I made. My bladder control is such that I didn't warrant such waterproofing and a mattress protector would not have gone amiss. I did sleep ok but then I am quite deaf so I can't comment on the noise from outside. I sacked off the breakfast the next day and checked out at 7am.
I've slept in a lot of cheap places and I wasn't disappointed with this place, just amused. However, cheap is fine, basic is fine but a bit of a renovation and a clean in the communal areas would not go amiss.
- Also Known As:
- Mclays Guest House Hotel Glasgow
- Mclays Guest House Hotel
- Mclays Hotel Glasgow
- Mclays Hotel
- McLays Guest House Glasgow, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- McLays’ offers great value budget accommodation in the heart of the city centre. We are superbly located for visiting Glasgow’s many museums and art galleries and just minutes away from Glasgow’s finest shopping streets Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan Street where in addition you shall find an excellent selection of restaurants, cafes, bars, cinemas, nightclubs etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Budget Places, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers, Venere and Hotels.com so you can book your McLays Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.