“A great place to rest your head” 4 of 5 stars

McLays Guest House
1.0 of 5 Motel   |   260 - 276 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6TT, Scotland   |
Ranked #70 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“A great place to rest your head”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I've stayed in McLays in the past and have always found the rooms to be very comfortable. I last visited in October 2013. I had a single room with an en suite bathroom. It was very cosy and very reasonably priced as well.

I arrived prior to check in and the staff were kind enough to let me store my bag before I could go into my room. This allowed me to explore Glasgow and then return to get sorted. My only criticism would be that when I booked in the person at reception did not give me a remote control for the tv. When I mentioned this the following day there was an apology and I was told about how they operate to when I returned later there were no further issues.

Will definitely come again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I must say this is one of the best value for money hotels I have ever had the pleasure of visiting!

Initially I thought I had ‘become a cropper’ upon observing the close proximity of the hotel to a local nightclub, but to be fair despite being at the front of the building I slept like a log with not a sound from the said club.

I stayed in a 3 or 4 people room complete with en suite (which was convenient but a wee bit dated costing Mclays a star). With the large amount of space, massive flat screen television, top floor location and an enormous window with a breathtaking city centre view of Glasgow, my friends were intent on describing the room as a “penthouse suite” – the value for money was simply staggering. The location was fantastic near to a street with plenty of restaurants, bar and clubs whilst being a short walk from the main shops etc. Also the breakfast was anything but a culinary delight but for the price (free!) it was absolutely fantastic.

All in all, I will definitely be staying at Mclays again upon my next visit to Glasgow.

PS parking is available on the surrounding streets but make sure you buy a £2 pass from Mclays!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Damp, smelly carpet in a room where 3 beds were shoved in together so that you could hardly squeeze between them. We had to prop the window open and leave the heating on all night because of the smell. Given room with a double bed, despite assurances that they would all be singles. Bathroom was clean, but there is no excuse for a shower curtain that is 50% filthy black with mould. Hugely overpriced for what you get. There are hostels that charge half the price in central Glasgow that are of a comparable quality. The cooked breakfast was good and arrived quickly and is the only reason I give this place any stars at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I arrived late in the afternoon and soon got settled I, checked at the front desk for a location to eat before going to a concert and they gave us a recommendation for a restaurant close to the concert venue. During the night the night discovered we had a leak in the ceiling in the bathroom when I advised them they had someone on it straight away and told us if w wanted to move rooms they could help us. We decided to stay in the room as it was a fair size and was on the back of the property and was very quiet. When we came back t lunch time the maintenance man came and advised us what had happened and it was the guest upstairs who had flooded their bathroom and everything was now fixed and again asked us if we wanted to move. The breakfast was a full Scottish breakfast everyday however the waitress was very accommodating and friendly if you wanted to change what was offered. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is great as it is only one street away from the main shopping and theatre area

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Levis, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Fantastic place. Beautiful old building (a little worn, but still beautiful). Full English breakfast every day. Helpful staff. The staff is excellent at suggesting places to visit or eat. I highly recommend this place. Leaving luggage before/after checkout is fine, but not the most secure (relatively...unless they are cleaning the dining room). No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fortaleza
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Me and my friends had a perfect night over there. The only that we didn't liked was the day recepcionist, she was really arrogant, which made us uncomfortable at the beginning of our stay. The location is close to a street with a lot of nightclubs and restaurants

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We booked this for a one-night stay as we were passing through Glasgow on our way north. It was fine - fairly clean and comfortable. But it had some draw-backs. We were travelling with a lot of luggage, and we had to drag it up and down the many steep steps at the front ourselves. There is a nightclub opposite which was extremely loud all night long, although I got to sleep eventually over the thudding. The place is pretty run-down although the actual rooms we had were ok and fairly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful, and steered us to the most fabulous local curry-house for our dinner. The breakfast at McLays the next morning was a real let-down though - one of the worst fry-ups I've ever had, unfortunately. Still, what can you expect for such a cheap B&B. And luckily there is plenty of great food elsewhere in Scotland!

Room Tip: I would avoid rooms at the front if you can - the noisy nightclub opposite is a problem and you will...