“Excellent location and service make this a great choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow

You added Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow to your Saves list
Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   87 Union Street, Caledonian Chambers, Glasgow G1 3TA, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City
“Excellent location and service make this a great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Yes, as the reviews say, the hotel is on the 6th floor of an office building, but once we arrived via a quick elevator ride, we found ourselves in a different world. The beautiful contemporary design of the rooms and common areas put us at ease immediately.The room and bath were small, but brilliant design has made the most of every inch of space. We were on the street side, but it was quiet. Sean and the other staff members could not have been more friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were delicious and the always-available cupcakes were a nice touch . The location was perfect--most of the historic sites and good restaurants were within an easy walk. We arrived by train, so did not have to deal with parking. The staff called a cab for us when we needed one. If you wish to use the excellent hop-on-hop-off bus, the staff will give you a 1-pound-off coupon. We loved this place, partly because we had done our homework and knew what to expect. The cost is very reasonable considering the price of other hotels in this location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel is beautifully designed - lovely wallpaper and elegant furniture, but we found it basically uncomfortable. The bed was huge but there was very little floorspace around it. No closet space - just a couple of hangers on a small open rail.

The most difficult aspect was unloading luggage from our car into the hotel. There is no street entrance reception for the hotel. The hotel shares a street entrance and lift with several businesses. The hotel is on the 7th Floor. The street has some metered parking, but we had to stop on yellow lines to unload - all very awkward and the hotel has no car parking of its own. The recommended car park is a few blocks away - not easy to find and even more difficult to get through the one-way system back to the hotel on the morning of departure. The hotel does arrange a discount at the car park but that was minor compensation for the inconvenience. I think the hotel probably works very well for train travelers without much luggage as the station is right next to the hotel.

We found staff slow to respond, not keen to help.

Room Tip: Some rooms are noisy. Ask for one overlooking station.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed for one night and would agree with review comparing this to a good b and b. The rooms are smallish but the decor makes up for that as the furniture, lighting, shelving etc., are all to a high design standard. The breakfast (which was included in our room rate) was good, and on our visit was not hurried. The hotel is the sixth floor of an office block, very close to Central Station, but despite that we were not disturbed by train noise. Staying as a couple was good but I would not have been entirely happy staying there as a lone female visitor...mainly due to the Reception etc being on the 6th floor, which means guests have to enter (via a pin code) from street level and while this is okay for a couple of adults, fumbling with pin codes alone on an urban street would feel just a tad insecure for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room than the standard double size.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Fantastic located hotel which actually has more of a b&b kind of feel to it. You get coffee and a cupcake at Arrival. Very comfy rooms with a very Nice decoration, brandnew and very stylish. Minor letdown is the breakfast, the service was a bit hurried, didnt like the coffee and the juice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

As other reviews have said, do not be put off by the front door of this hotel, when you get upstairs you find an immaculate hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. Bedrooms are very clean, beds are comfortable, Sky TV in every room, very good shower (much needed after a very wet day in Glasgow!). Breakfast is delicious, self-service but very fresh and not sweaty food which has been sat out for hours like in most chain hotels. My room overlooked Glasgow Central Station but was very quiet, my colleague was at the front of the hotel and found it a bit noisy but not loud enough to keep them awake. On arrival we were asked if we wanted fresh coffee and milk for our rooms, I was swiftly delivered a thermos of skimmed milk - no UHT milk here - just brilliant!

I stayed for one night on business and will definitely book again when I'm next in Glasgow. I was so bowled over by how lovely this place was I found myself racking my brains to find anything which could be a fault...the only thing I could think of was there was no bath mat - a small point I know but I couldn't think of anything else, it is just such a lovely place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed here for one night. Was impressed by staff and how nice everyone was. My room was on the small side but had all the comforts of home so made up for size. Shower in room very good. Didn't get milk sent to room for tea and coffee and there are no phones on room to phone reception to ask. Ended up buying milk for me and sisters to share. Breakfast was excellent. Overall I would def stay here again but would book a double room as not that much more but a lot more room.

Stayed May 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed as a group of friends on a cultural visit to Glasgow: location, decor and artwork were brilliant, as we'd been led to expect from the person who'd recommended it to us. But I fell ill with the flu on the first night of our visit and had to stay in bed while my friends went sightseeing on day 2 :(. The hotel staff were so kind, insisting that it would be fine for me to stay in bed undisturbed all day. They made up a fabulous breakfast on a tray and arranged with my friend when would be the best time to deliver it to my sickbed (I forced it down ;) ). The staff were so kind and helpful. Falling ill and being bedbound (even with the benefits of a huge tv with Sky) wasn't what I'd planned for our citybreak ...but I don't think I could have picked a better place to do it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow? Share your experiences!