“Great value and service.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Great value and service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Had an itison on deal which was excellent. Seafood pasta was first-class. Friendly and very efficient service. Happily recommend.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a great meal on a fantastic deal with ITISON (£14 for two from the Risotto, pasta or pizza sections of the menu plus a wine/beer each)
We phoned on the off chance (4pm on a Sunday in January) and duly arrived at 4.30 as they could take us. We were the first in but the place was nearly full by the time we departed an hour later. The Resturant is quite cosy and not too big.
Great atmosphere, great music, efficient staff and good food. I fancied a pizza which was great and Ann had a risotto which certainly didn't skimp on the chicken content.
I noticed Esca had a pretheatre menu which seemed to be good value.

“good set lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Took the kids here for lunch not long ago and was quite impressed with the set lunch, the chips with the steak were a bit frozen but passable but for the money it was good!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Sunday pizza dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went on Sunday for lunch using itson vouchers (very good deal)! I had a lovely plate of spaghetti ai frutti di mare, and they were just perfect!! The rest of the family went for pizza and all 3 of them were excellent!! I Definitely would go back, it wasn't the first time. A shame it wasn't very busy, but we are in January I suppose, everyone is on a diet;-).

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Service atrocious!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I went to this restaurant last night with my husband and our two friends for my husbands birthday and I cannot believe how baldly we were treated! My friend got a deal on itson and the head waitress seemed to think it was necessary to inform the entire place by mentioning 'our voucher' at every opportunity. My friend and I got a glass of white wine each and you could see quite clearly that it had been watered down! When I questioned the wine, the service went down hill from then!The head waitress was very rude and arrogant and never even said goodbye when we left! I will definitely not be back and would not recommend it to any of my family or friends!

Visited January 2014
Esca E, General Manager at Esca, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hi Lyndsay W,

After investigating the night in question we would like to dispute your review of Esca.

We can only apologise that you felt your party were badly treated, it is not in our interests to mistreat customers who will potentially return.

As you presented the wrong voucher for your ITISON deal the waitress aproached you to email the correct one which included the voucher code. She was by no means announcing it to the restaurant , but we do need to inform customers what is included in the offers. We do not treat ITISON customers different to those booking direct as you are,as previously mentioned, potential returning custom.

Our wine is a high quality Italian wine that we serve as per our wine list. It has never been watered down and it would not be in our interests to ever do this. We never have issues with our house wines and I am informed that your wine was replaced with wine you seen poured directly from the bottle. The waitress in question may have seemed abrupt but it was more so shock of the allegation that we would water wine down.

We can't understand the statement regarding our staff being rude and arrogant, you provided a cake witch the staff brought out and sang before asking if you wanted it cut up and proceeded to wrap it in tinfoil for you to take home, which wasn't an issue. When your party left , the gentlemen first the waitresses made a point of acknowledging your departure.

We would hate to think that anyone has left Esca feeling as bad as your party seemed to, we have messaged you ,with no reply to try to remedy this situation. We would hope that you will return in the future to perhaps reconsider your review and give Esca another chance.

Esca Management