“Better than expected” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 1,839 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Vegetarian, Asian fusion, Dim Sum
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opium specialises in oriental fusion cuisine, offering a mix of traditional Dim Sum and fusion dishes. We're open everyday and look forward to welcoming you here at 191 Hope Street. Located in the heart of Glasgow city centre, Opium is great for a working lunch or to catch up with friends. As night falls our interior transforms, it's perfect for an intimate dinner or a celebration with family and friends.
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I decided to book a table for my wife's birthday after reading good reviews on tripadvisor. We were made to feel very welcome straight away and told that our table was ours for the evening, which meant we could really enjoy our meal. Food was great and service was second to none. We will go back next time were in Glasgow.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant in Glasgow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I love this place - in a city that is now full of cheap, generic food establishments it's great to see a restaurant that prides itself on attention to detail and providing the best quality possible. I have been three times now and have enjoyed every visit - it is always a relaxing and delicious experience. The cocktails are literally some of the best I've tasted - I wish they were a little cheaper but in many ways I would rather have one of Opium's creations than a couple of cheap rubbish ones. Everything I ordered was beautifully presented - especially my prawn main that was sitting on a huge prawn cracker and surrounded by tasty sauce. The dessert was also very elegant - we split the meringue and it was almost a work of art. If you like Oriental food and have a special occassion planned then I would certainly recommend Opium. It is expensive so unfortunately I can only go now and again - however I have only ever dined a la carte - I think I will try their new pre-theatre menu soon which would would be more budget friendly.

Scotland
“THE OPIUM IS A HIDDEN GEM;”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The food the service and the restaurant is fantastic, from the oriental starters to the fish or meat courses to the sweetest deserts the opium is not your everyday chinese its Glasgows hidden gem in the middle of Hope Street, well done and thank you.

Aberdeen, Scotland
“lovely restaurant, great food and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

the food at Opium is amazing, good portion sizes and very tasty. all the staff were very friendly and made for a great dining experience.
The one and only quibble i had was the intimate atmosphere was disturbed by loud groups of diners as the restaurant is quite small.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Excellent food, service, atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

First thanks to Trip Advisor because I found Opium on your site. All the positive reviews were accurate. The Dim Sum was perfection and I understood why after learning the owner was a Master Chef who had trained may years in the art of preparing Dim Sum. The service was attentive and superior in that Trevor, the host and part owner, took time to explain the various teas in order to select the best option for my meal. The atmosphere is sophisticated yet comfortable for casual or formal dining. It was a satisfying and pleasurable experience to dine at Opium. If you enjoy Asian cusine, especially Dim Sum, you will be delighted with Opium. Meri from Miami, Florida