“Suprisingly good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Doetinchem, The Netherlands
“Suprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night due to a late flight. This is a new hotel near Glasgow Airport behind the Ikea. Comfertable rooms, check in was smooth. What else is there to say. If you are looking for a hotel near Glasgow airport this is the right one.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hello SvR1705,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the hotel.

I'm so glad you had a comfortable night which afforded you a good rest before flying.

We are about 8-10 minutes' drive along the motorway from the airport, however this usually means a much quieter environment, so I hope we'll be welcoming you back when next flying to or from Glasgow?

+44 141 886 1347
glasgowairport@campanile.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night with 2 of our friends. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. On arrival the girl at reception was lovely very professional and couldn't have been more helpful. I had requested 2 rooms beside each other which we got.
We were staying here as we had booked sledging and a meal at nearby Xscape, this hotel is excellent location for accessing here. Reception were great and called us taxi's.
We had a great sleep the beds are comfortable and check out was quick.
We're very likely to stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Lassie,

What kind comments regarding your stay. My thanks on behalf of the whole team here at the hotel. I'm very glad they looked after you so well.

With the skiing and sledging season upon us, I do hope you'll be returning again soon to either Xcape or the Glasgow Ski & Snowboard Centre which we're also less than 10 minutes from.

Do feel free to get in touch when you need a booking with us on the details below, and I look forward to seeing you then.

ayrshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Firstly the young lady on reception (Catriona ) was fantastic and very professional. the rooms are very big, clean and tidy. first morning we went for breakfast, we were asked how we liked our eggs, fried, scrambled or poached, i asked for fried and a bit of scrambled and was told sorry you only get 1 egg along with 1 rasher 1 sausage 1 tattie scone and a little beans with 3 mushrooms. the next morning the breakfast was great we got the full works 2 sausages fried egg scrambled egg and a good laugh with the waiter. we also asked reception to book 2 taxi's to take us into the town center, only to see on the shuttle bus the next day that they do transfers into the town which no one told us about. over all it was a pleasant stay and would go again as long as it is the second waiter that is on duty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Stewart,

Many thanks for your feedback. I'm delighted to see that Catriona extended her usual warm welcome!

I'm glad you enjoyed your overall stay and would return. Please let me assure you that breakfast has been an area of focus in the recent month or so, with regards to what is on offer and consistency. This should apply to service also and I will be looking into this matter closely. The second day is certainly the true representation of our breakfast and should be the case every day.

Although we do have a shuttle bus at the moment, we tend to use this specifically for airport transfers when available. Unfortunately we are unable to staff this shuttle service all day and therefore never advertise it. We will only every offer it to our guests when it's available to ensure no one is disappointed.

Thank you again for your comments, and please do feel free to get in contact directly when you are returning so that I may take care of your reservation personally.

Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hi, I've just returned from a business trip and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night.
On arrival, the service at check in was rather slow, there was 2 members of staff visible but both were serving food and drinks, I had to wait a good 5 minutes to be attended to.I was given room 115, it was large, clean and perfectly comfortable.
I went down for dinner and chose from the very limited menu, unfortunately I was told that they had run out of the steak and could I choose something else. I did so and ordered a mixed platter.
This arrived and was a bit dry and tasteless, it was obviously microwaved. Breakfast was a bit better although service was very slow and only 1 member of staff serving as well as doing other duties.
such a shame as it could be so much better, Ok for a 1 night stopover though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Art,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Campanile Glasgow Airport. Your feedback is most welcome and useful to us in order that we can continue to improve our offering.

We are of course part of a strong budget hotel chain and as such offer great value for money. This does of course often mean that we work with minimal staffing and have an excellent team for multi-taking and dealing with many guests at once. Of course we do keep our guests wait down to the minimum in all areas of service and I'm sorry to see that you had an unusual wait to get settled into your room. This is obviously feedback I share with my front of house team.

We also offer two menus in our restaurant, and it seems you've gone for the main menu. This is a very 'bar' oriented food menu which we feel is reflected in the price. Our chef also prepares a weekly menu of homemade options for our guests who feel they want more quality. We are very honest in what these two menus represent, either 'quick and very good value' meals, or a tailored menu for those who prefer the full dining experience. I do hope when you return you will try our Chef's own menu and perhaps offer feedback on this?

Once again, thanks for your feedback and I hope we'll see you again soon. When returning please do feel free to get in contact with me directly as I would be happy to get your reservation with us sorted personally.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Rating is based on the room rather than the restaurant as we had a nice large, clean room and the hotel is in a convenient location close to the M8. Evening meal in the restaurant was cheap but not brilliant. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles - only one waiter taking orders and delivering food, and relying on memory to match food to tables. Happened to be close enough to overhear him trying to find takers for our food and therefore able to claim it before he wasted any more time trying to find who'd ordered it. Would be so much better if they did breakfast buffet style as so many hotels do nowadays. Would use the hotel again but would probably head to the nearby pub for an evening meal and to the Braehead shopping centre for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello City Girl,

Thank you so much for your kind rating of the hotel and your constructive comments.

I'm so glad that you found the hotel comfortable and valuable, which of course is one f our primary aims.

Our service at breakfast usually goes very smoothly, and we've often received good feedback regarding our cooked breakfast being made to order, rather than a buffet. That said, you have highlighted to us areas that could be improved upon from the guest experience.

We've recently changed in the last few weeks to having two team members for the busy period of breakfast, which of course is helping smooth out the service. Having set team members on the breakfast shift is also helping create a bit more consistency, even when we experience a breakfast 'rush' and things get busier.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, it's been most useful. I do hope when you return you can offer my team and I more feedback?

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business. Check in was quick, room that I had was very big and clean.
The hotel is close to a retail park and Ikea but you would have to drive to get to alternative restaurants or pubs. There is a great pub across from the hotel serving cheap good food. The hotel did serve food and have a small bar which was fine if a little expensive. The hotel was busy but i had an excellent nights sleep in the huge bed and it was just very quiet. Breakfast was continental buffet but you could order a full cooked breakfast which was about £8 for both or £6 just for continental, very good compared to some of the rubbish I have had for double the price. Check out was again quick. Staff were all friendly and did a great job even though they were quite busy doing more than one job it seemed. First stay at a Campanile, the reputation of certain hotels in locations near me is not great but I would not hesitate in staying at this Campanile hotel next time I am in Glasgow.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello Kstand,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts following your recent business trip to Glasgow, staying at Campanile Glasgow Airport.

I'm delighted that you found the room and bed comfortable and this afforded you a good night's sleep.

As always I'm also glad to see that you found the team friendly and helpful.

I do hope we'll be welcoming you back again soon?

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel can be tricky to find: basically, if you are coming from the M8 Westbound, leave the motorway at J25A, turn right at the first set of traffic lights into the Braehead Shopping Centre and then follow the signs for Dobbies Garden Centre. This will take you past IKEA on your right and Sainsburys on your left, the road then hooks right at a roundabout and after another roundabout the hotel is signposted.

Parking is free and there are plenty of spaces provided.

Reception was very helpful and informative and my numerous questions about local public transport were answered fully and accurately. Later during my stay, when I had a housekeeping issue, it was resolved within ten minutes, well inside the hour I had allocated, which was impressive. Overall, customer service was very good.

My room was spacious, well appointed and comfortable. There were three plug sockets available: two at the desk and one on the outer wall. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was no drawer space, but shelves were provided, incorporated into a spacious open wardrobe. The wooden clothes hangers were a nice touch. A kettle, two cups and coffee and tea were provided. There was also a hairdryer. The TV was somewhat small and the picture inexplicably offset to the left. There were only seven channels from which to choose. The bathroom was large, and well lit and the shower cabinet was huge. I couldn’t understand the lack of plastic toothglasses: surely this is cost-cutting taken to extremes? Soap dispensers were provided next to the sink and in the shower cabinet. The towels provided were large and soft, which was a bonus. The air conditioning was efficient and very quiet. The curtains blocked out all light from outside, making for a restful night.

There are a couple of negative aspects, however.

The first is the hotel’s location, just under four miles from Glasgow Airport and six from the city centre; it is somewhat remote, a fact which, to its credit, the hotel makes no attempt to hide. However, all is not lost: buses are a mere ten minutes walk away in the Braehead Shopping Centre, which is also useful for picking up all manner of bargains and is open agreeably late. Otherwise, there are taxis; the current rate for these is approximately £15 one way to or from the city centre. There are no rail or subway links available nearby.

The second is breakfast (see reviews passim). The continental breakfast is simply not worth the £6 charged: despite being ‘all-you-can-eat’, the range of choices is too restricted. Cold boiled eggs and a wider selection of cold meats and cheeses, preferably sliced, would be welcome. The cooked breakfast I had was adequate in content, but the bacon was overdone and the sausage underdone, and it was not worth the £2.95 surcharge. If you are staying between Monday and Friday, there is no alternative; however, the pub across the road, ‘The Steam Wheeler’, offers a weekend buffet breakfast which is at least equal in terms of quantity and quality and is cheaper at £4.99. I do not suggest that the management of the hotel is at fault here, they are under the orders of the chain, which will always seek to maximise profit, and it is the chain which will have to raise its game (and/or lower its prices) in order to compete.

These latter two issues notwithstanding, the Campanile Glasgow Airport Hotel is a comfortable, friendly, well run place to stay and is recommended.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the third floor and facing the pub.