“Coming back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Surrey
“Coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

With what people were saying about this hotel I was waiting to be led to a complete dump but I was very surprised. The room we had was nice and clean, hot water throughout the day and the staff were very friendly. I stayed here with my two year old daughter and husband and at the end of the day you get what you pay for. There are loads of signs around the hotel saying when breakfast starts and when it finishes as well so there is no excuse. I have no complaints at all about this hotel and would be very happy to come back with my family. Anyone who wants a trip to Scotland and feeling the bite of the credit crunch book this hotel as it's a lovely hotel and a lovely price.

• Liked — Good breakfast and nice clean rooms
  • Disliked — The pool needed heating up a few degrees
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
RobertCrews, Hotel General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, November 21, 2008
Thankyou for your kind comments , We are working to imrove the product and service that we provide and your comments will help us to acheive this.

Thankyou

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reading
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

I thought this place was a grotty little hole.

At recepetion there was an area where they were doing some work with the carpet up. I checked in and was given my key. During the walk to the room every room appeared to have marks in the door frame as if they had been prized open with a crow bar. The locks did not look fitted to the doors properly.
The room had wallpaper peeling from the walls. There was mould in the bathroom and rust on the bathroom radiator.
There was a note in the room stating that all rooms were non smoking and a £50.00 cleaning fine/fee would be charged to anyone found smoking in the rooms yet the nets and curtains didnt look like they'd been down in many years never mind the short time since the smoking ban.
The whole room made me feel dirty. I slept on the bed in my clothes rather than get between the sheets (covers were clean but the blanket/quilt inside didnt look so nice).
In the room there was an ethernet cable crudley tacked along the wall with a sticker on the socket saying ask reception for a cable. I went to reception and asked about the internet to be told it was wireless (available through Cloud). I went back to the room to find that there was no wireless signal. I then went back to reception to be told that if I did not get a signal in my room I would need to use it in the lounge downstairs. :-#
I went to use the shower in the morning and found that there was not much pressure and my shower was not much more than a trickle.
The room stunk. I think it was something used by the cleaners but it made me want to throw up.

This was booked by work for a 2 night stay but I managed to cut the trip short. Under no circumstances was I going to stay the 2nd night. I will never stay there again!

• Liked — it had a roof
  • Disliked — The dirty look
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
RobertCrews, Hotel general Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, November 21, 2008
Thankyou for your comments and please accept my apologies for the dissapointing standards you received . Please be assured that your comments wether good or bad will be actioned to prevent any recurrence.

Hastings
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

We booked this on the grounds of price and the knowledge that Swallow hotels are usually reasonable if not brilliant. Things started well when they allowed us to check in early.

It is not particularly well located for most things in Central and East Glasgow, where we needed to be, but then that is our fault for not checking this aspect more carefully before booking.

The reception area did become a building site during our stay and there was a lot of noise from pneumatic drills. However, this was a one off repair to a burst pipe rather than scheduled work.

We ate dinner at the hotel and this was perfectly acceptable if a little pricey and the chilli sauce the chef made specially for my wife was very good and much appreciated . The restaurant was a bit draughty on what was a cold night. This might be something to consider during renovations.

The only real problem we had was the next morning when we came down and found that breakfast had finished at 9. This was not well publicised and we were not the only people caught out. The room did not have the usual information folder and I think this would have help prevent this sort of situation.

However, the staff did get us a cooked breakfast after the time and the helpfulness of everybody and cheerful service was a feature of the hotel throughout our stay.

• Liked — Friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Lack of information in rooms, especially about breakfast times.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thankyou for your constructive comments which I will pass to the team here at the Swallow Glasgow .
Regards

x1304x
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

After reading the reviews of this hotel i was scared to go! As the main reason for going to Scotland was to see Rangers play i decided to go with this hotel anyway as it is the nearest hotel to Ibrox. I must admit i was expecting the worst! not a great appearance from the outside but lovely inside and the receptionist was friendly and helpful. Opened the door expecting a rotten room but it was great and i'm definitly one to complain if im not happy with something! massive bed, clean bathroom etc. Was next to the lift so was expecting that to keep me awake all night but once your in your room you can barely hear it and had a great sleep. Used the leave me to sleep sign so the cleaner left our room in order for us to sleep. Can't really comment on the hotel food as we didn;t really eat there but as breakfast doesn't start until 8 on a sunday and we needed to leave just before i ordered breakfast to the room at 7 whih arrived nice and warm for a small service charge. Also used the swimming pool and steam room which was reall nice. overall had a really nice stay and would definitly go back so either i was just lucky or people over exaggerate! would recomend the quay centre a 20 min walk away as it has casino, cinema, bowling, restaurants etc

• Liked — cleanliness, comfort, swimming pool
  • Disliked — having to leave it!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thankyou for your kind comments and I will pass to the team.

Regards

Scottish Highlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

Ok, so this is a 3star hotel and, if you shop around you can get reasonable deals instead of paying the inflated tariff displayed at reception, but we, the paying public, expect certain minimum standards, regardless of the price we have paid.

My husband and I and our 4 year old son booked in to this hotel either side of a flight from Glasgow airport. On our outward bound visit we were allocated a triple room as requested. The room was adequate although it was in need of TLC with dirty and torn wallpaper; woodwork with paint peeling off, and mould around the bathroom. The furnishings and linens, including the curtains had all seen better days. However, we settled our son in to bed only for him to be frightened by the fire alarm going off. In haste we had to evacuate the building where we met a couple of staff who made no attempt to check who we were or what our room number was. They offered no explanation until I questioned if they knew the reason for the alarm activation. At this point they shrugged and said that it must be the weather (cold, wet and VERY windy) and it often happens! No mention was made of it at check-out the following morning. I would have liked an explanation or an apology at the very least. The correct thing would be to have offered a discount from the cost of a further visit in my opinion.

On our return visit however, there seemed to be a problem with our booking as we had only been allocated a double room (no bed for our son). After a long wait in the bar a room was found for us. However, when we tried the key in the door it was clearly the wrong key - in fact it was not even the right size. Again we had to be given another room - this time a so called 'up-grade' to an adjoining twin and double. Although the corridors in this part of the hotel were brighter, the room(s) still left a lot to be desired. It was equally as tired and dirty as the first room had been and in need of even more TLC as the curtains were torn due to the ill fitting windows which allowed the howling gale to ventilate the room (who needs air conditioning!?). Again both bathrooms were black with mould.

The breakfast was ok but a bit 'hi-di-hi' although the waitress was very pleasant indeed.

We used the pool and sauna areas too. The pool was clean enough but it was hard to tell whether the jacuzzi was on its cleaning cycle or not as there were so few bubbles. The sauna was ok but again a little tired. The changing rooms were extremely cold and really quite dirty.

To sum up - in this day and age there is no excuse for a build up of dirt and mould in the hard to reach areas - there are many models of Steam Cleaners available which tackle this problem in seconds with the minimum of effort. Shabby furnishings and decor is NOT going to encourage us to return or recommend such hotels to friends - quite the opposite.

• Liked — The friendly waitress at breakfast.
  • Disliked — It was shabby & dirty. No explation/apology for the false activation/evacuation of the fire alarm.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thankyou for your comments and please accept my apologies for the dissapointing standards you encountered.
Please be assured that your comments will be actioned to prevent a recurrence.
I do hope we have not permenently marred your opinion of Swallow Hotels and If you happen to stay in Glasgow again please contact me direct and I will ensure privilage rates and a troublefree stay.

Warrington, Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

Booked this hotel approximately six weeks in advance and stayed there for one night, we arrived early but had the use of the leisure facilities which were great. Tried to check-in at the appropriate time but were told rooms not ready, they then decided that one out of the three rooms we booked was ready so two of our party checked in. On enquiring, the other members of our party were told their rooms would not be ready until 4pm but we complained that this was simply not acceptable, we had driven from Warrington, were very tired and had to leave the hotel at 5pm as we were attending a family party. After some haggling and lots of stress we were all given rooms around 3.30pm.

Unfortunately the rooms are badly in need of decoration, wallpaper was peeling off and the paintwork was brown looking. Although the room was clean, the decor gave it the impression of being dirty and shabby.

Luckily, we booked this room through an agency and therefore had a reduction on the web price of £65.00 (in the hotel they advertise a one night stay for £120 but I can't see anybody agreeing to pay anywhere near that price).

Very disappointing stay, definitely not recommended.

• Liked — Leisure Facilities
  • Disliked — Service and decor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
RobertCrews, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
Dear Joanie ,

Thankyou for your comments on our Leisure facilities and please accept my apologies for the dissapointing standards you encountered regarding the room not being ready and the quality of the room you were given. Please be assured that measures are being taken to prevent a recurrence.
If you have requirements in the future to return to Glasgow , please contact myself direct and I would be happy to give you privilage rates and ensure we show we can get it right
Thanks
0141 4273146
Moray, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

The area the hotel is in is bad!! The hotel room was disgusting - dirty sheets, dead moths, mould on the bath and stains on carpets and chairs!!
The pool etc is in a completly different building!!
We checked straight back out and are still trying to get a refund!!
Awful hotel!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
RobertCrews, Hotel manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, July 1, 2008
Dear Guest ,

I was most concerned to read your comments regarding your dissapointing experience here at the Glasgow Swallow Hotel.
At the outset please accept my apologies and please be assured that measures will be taken to prevent a recurrence.
We are currently working through a product improvement plan which includes our bedrooms, however there can be no excuse if our usual high standards were not provided.
I will certainly help organise your refund if I could ask you contact me to arrange.
Yours Sincerely
0141 427 3146

Been to Swallow Glasgow? Share your experiences!