“Complete Chaos!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Complete Chaos!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Yes it's old and a bit dated, but the room was clean and warm, the food fine, and the bed comfy enough. Even the thump thump thump from the disco didn't annoy me THAT much as it didn't go on too late. I was going to rate it as "average" until a major error in their internal system caused total chaos. According to another guest there was a block booking for 38 rooms DB&B which somehow was transferred to their restaurant booking system as one booking. So instead of a single person wanting fed, something in the region of 76 hungry people appeared. And they didn't have enough food! So we turned up at eight, which was the time we gave the receptionist when we checked in - the couple at the next table had arrived the day before and had not had to give a time so I assume that by this point they already knew there was a problem. I think it was near enough 9 by the time we got our first course, and about ten before we were finished.
The chaos continued the next morning at breakfast. We, along with about six other parties, were asked to wait in the lounge for a few minutes while more tables were laid. Ten minutes or so later, the girl reappeared and said we would be waiting for another five minutes. This was the last we saw of her! After another twenty minutes we went to find out what was going on and saw that people who had appeared after us had been sent straight in. There was an older man at the door, who said that breakfast had finished five minutes ago and acted as if he was doing us all a favour by finding us a table. The breakfast tasted fine, but many of the cooked items weren't available when we went up.
Our waitress was very helpful, and was clearly harrassed thanks to issues that weren't her fault, but the management really need to sort out their procedures so that this type of problem doesn't happen again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mearns P, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Sorry for the restaurant issues with your stay. Like most things these days we rely on computers sometimes to give accurate information and we were confounded on this occasion.
We are making enquiries to resolve this issue.
From time to time we do get rushes in the last half hour of breakfast and we then do have to operate a waiting list system dictated by the size of the dining room. I'm sorry you were waiting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

All the lights blew in our room before dinner - bulbs replaced.
30 mins between course at dinner then they ran out of potatoes half-way through.
Back to room at midnight - all lights not working.
Staff asked us to move to different room - so had to move all of our stuff too.
Very disappointed, it seemed a pretty decent looking place until all the mishaps.

Room Tip: Book this hotel if all you're looking for is a quiet bed for the night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Mark.
Unfortunately electrical issues can happen to us all and come unbidden. Sorry you were affected but glad to hear you were relocated. That night there was a tremendous uptake in our restaurant beyond our expectation. Our fault completely. Please accept my appologies.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

After I booked this I looked at trip advisors reviews , I read them and thought come on it can't be that bad!!
My god it was worse!! See when you see the price? Bargain! See once your in the swallow hotel you'll see it's no bargain .
The list of things I could say would go on and on.
But ill start with the main worst.
Service ? What service? We did half board, was handed the menu....
And after looking for 10 mins realised that there was no waiter service and that the whole room wasn't eating and the staff was scurrying past , realising that the whole room looked extremely pissed off, now I don't know if the chef had quit or the cooker had exploded?
After 20 mins our order was taken, only to be told they had only 2 items left and no potatoes? Lol ok all in all the food was rubbish and took about an hour and a half for a starter and main, we walked out before pudding!!
I know that seems a small thing but if you had been there you'd have understood, faulty towers!
The room was dirty Filthy , in serious need of a revamp, cold shower, dirty shower walls, the noise in the room was out of the world!! The radiator filling up, heating up! A boiler vibrating and clanking all night, and you can hear everyone's conversations! Everything!!!
A family came in about 3am and they couldn't get into their room! Door was broke!!! Manager came up and what a racket!! Waiting times for food was ridiculous! We was twice told there was no tables, when clearly we could see in !! There was heaps!!! Worst nights sleep and we have two kids!! Bar was very expensive!! Two vodkas and lemonade , no ice as he had lost the ice? So I said can I have a bit more lemonade? As the glass was tiny! Was charged £7.80 I nearly fell over!
Please , please just don't bother! Major disappointment !! Even if you think , oh it's just a bed, thats how we seen it, after the disaster we was not in the mood to go out and meet friends ,guaranteed you will be gutted!!!
To the customer who said the staff stared at them strangely, I'm afraid it was the same today!
Looks like a prison acts like a halfway house! Avoid!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is a classic example of you get what you pay for. It's a very dated property but when you need somewhere to rest your head on a travellers budget, it will do. The staff were, for the most part helpful but it seemed like a hassle when you asked them something. The area in which its situated isn't particularly nice, although not horrible it's best to stay here if you're going to a rangers home game. Not much redeeming about the place, stay here if you have a tight budget!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mearns P, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Russell,
Glad you thought the staff were helpful, I do try and ensure the best possible levels of service at the right price and I'm glad we were able to meet your value requirements.
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights on a business trip...already the first look was not very appealing, an old block from the 70s...the inside reflects the same as outside, its heyday was probably 30 years ago, now it just drags on and catches a few unaware guests. We found the hotel quite dirty, walls and carpets would need a clean. Staff wasn´t too interested, it took us a while to get the TV in our room changed, till we found out that it was actually the power socket not working. One can see that nothing is being done in that hotel.

There are a lot of other hotels in town, try those.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andy,
I'm sorry you did not like the hotel architecture - I do not claim to have the newest hotel, what I do aim for is value for money and good levels of service. If there was a specific instance re. service that you would like to discuss then please feel free to contact me at the hotel.
Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ok... I lived in a little village in Vietnam (a third world country) and it was more comfortable than this!!!
Where to start -
- There was a Wedding on (who the hell would want to have a wedding here I don't know) that kept us up half the night because there is 0 soundproofing. We called reception and they changed us to a twin room.
- Dirty stained bedding (a big brown questionable stain)
- Wallpaper peeling from the hotel walls
- Toilet had not even been flushed from last guest
- Breakfast was gross, only thing that looked half decent was the fruit salad and when I ate it it had gone off and was fizzy in my mouth! Blurgh!
- Waitress at breakfast didn't have a clue and sat us on somebody else's table which resulted in three tables playing musical chairs (how this managed to happen still befuddles me)
- Guests here also seem very ignorant and racist (must be the location) my partner is Vietnamese and we got very dodgy looks from a few guests... I swear he's not even funny looking, actually quite handsome in my eyes :)
- Lights in the bedroom were broken so we only had the desk lamp.
- Carpets dirty and stained
- Rooms were FREEZING at night and only had crappy flimsy covers to keep us warm, so we were not warm!
- The door to our room did not lock with the big dungeon style key we were given to use.

All in all it was shockingly bad, they are the kind of rooms some hotels rent out by the hour!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I`ll start with the positives. Good check in fast and staff had local knowledge, good bar area with reasonable prices and good breakfast although i would have said i had a full English breakfast and not Scottish. Now to the room. Simply it was disgusting. The hotel advertises itself as non smoking, but it is obvious that it hasn`t always been this way. My room stank of stale tobacco. the door which i couldnt lock as i was going out for the evening. A cleaner had to slam the door shut in order to get it to lock.The bed was so uncomfortable, i hardly slept all night The welcome tray didnt exist. The tv was archaic, the net curtains were filthy. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the archaic hair dryer was two tone due to nicotine staining. All this for only £49 per night. NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mearns P, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I am sorry that you were given a sub-standard room. We are currently undergoing a redecoration process including replacing all beds and systematic renewal of TV's. The room you were allocated has obviously not benefited from this yet. Please be assured that all efforts are being made to complete this process as soon as practically possible. I'm glad you were happy with the staff service and trust that you will return and experience the hotel as it should have been. Please feel free to contact me personally to arrange your visit. In the meantime I shall ensure that the room you occupied is not available till works are completed.
Best Regards

Been to Swallow Glasgow? Share your experiences!