“Horrible hotel, though the room was actually OK” 1 of 5 stars

Swallow Glasgow
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   517 Paisley Road West, Glasgow G51 1RW, Scotland   |
Ranked #80 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Horrible hotel, though the room was actually OK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was flat hunting in Glasgow and needed a place to stay - unfortunately there was a Celtics game in town and most (cheap) hotels were booked up for the night, so I got this off laterooms at a fairly decent price. I was planning on staying for 2 nights.
Location was ok, not too far from the centre, about 10-15 min. by bus.
The outside of the hotel didn't look like much, it's heyday seems to have been in the 70s.. The reception seemed ok at first, but then I noticed all the loose cupboard doors and worn out details. It took them 20 min. to deal with each and every customer whether they were checking in or out and even though there were 3-4 people in the reception area, they were all running around like headless chickens not knowing what to do. 3 different people asked me for my name and tried to find the relevant paperwork. The key for the room I had been booked to was missing so it took them about 10 min. to find another single room for me.
I was ok with that, I work at a hotel myself and know how these things work but it was just really amusing and I figured it was just a fluke or a busy day.

I finally got my room key, paid and went - it was quite impossible to find my room, it was on the 2nd floor and at one point the signs pointing to room numbers disappeared and I had no idea whether I missed it or if I was just lost.
Found it in the end and the room itself was not too bad - It had all the basics: a hair dryer, TV, trouser press, even and iron + ironing board in the cupboard, coffee/tea tray, phone etc. It was a bit chilly in the room at one point. the bed was quite comfortable but it was on wheels so every time I sat on it with my back to the wall, it rolled away.. then I discovered that there was absolutely NO wi-fi in the whole hotel - contrary to what was said on laterooms (wi-fi in rooms + lounges) and when I called reception, all they said was 'we don't have wi-fi', not offering any other alternatives - for a hotel that size at this day and age you'd expect wi-fi at least in the lounges or somewhere..
this pissed me off royally and I decided not to stay there for a second night, because I just could not feel comfortable. Not many TV-channels, no Sky sports as said on laterooms.
In the morning I tried to take a shower, took at least 20 minutes for the water to get warm (not hot, just warm) and there were spouts of hotter water while I showered, but they were infrequent and far apart.. also, I think housekeeping tried to get in the room at around 9 (bit before that) but I was in the bathroom with the door bolted - that's a bit early for an occupied room, at least wait until 10, or even after breakfast (which finished at 9)!
I didn't go down for breakfast simply because I was not hungry, so cannot comment on that, but it was complementary which is always a good thing.
got out of there as soon as I could, it took the reception 10 min. to deal with me leaving early, none of them knowing what to do in that situation.

all in all, it wasn't the most pleasant stay and the comfy bed did not make up for the fact that they had no wi-fi, no proper TV and it was £45 for a single room, when I could get a better price at a nicer hotel at the heart of the city for half of that.

would possibly suit stag/hen parties or people who need a place to crash w/o any expectations - NOT good for business customers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mearns P, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Check-in is always a challenge when your ststems asre not working as they should and that was the issue on the day. Please accept my appologies for your inconvenience. Sky sports is available in the lounge and Sky sports News in the bedrooms. There is wi-fi available through The Cloud which is a pay as you go system accessible through any laptop enabled. I'm sorry you had issues with the water, this is generally not an issue and I shall check your thermostatic shower to ensure proper operation.

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Inverness
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we went straight to check in. Whilst waiting to check in was when the issues started to show. Whilst we were queuing a member of staff was obviously signing out whilst there was a queue of people waiting.

After waiting for quite a while to be checked in we were then given the wrong room key and when we pointed this out to the person checking us in he quickly blamed it on the other receptionist with no apology. Throughout the whole check in process the receptionist seemed obviously distracted by a patron informing him that he was "pulling his own pugs but he had a tab of it all", his response to this wasn't to ask him to stop but to simply advise him that he would be there soon. The receptionist then advised us that the gentleman was "a head case" before telling us he would deal with him in a minute.

With the fiasco of check in over we followed the directions given to us by the receptionist, which were slightly more complicated than they needed to be, and headed to our room. The hallways were very dated and the walls were covered in dents and marks. The hallways were also full of cobwebs one of which homed a rather large spider.

After passing what appeared to be a communal wash room we found our room. The experience didn't get any better from here.

The room was dated at best. I think the floor would have provided more comfort than the bed, although the holes in the carpet would have made this a less appealing option. Apparently someone had decided to sleep in the bed previously as we found a pubic hair on the duvet, this was between an the holes in the duvet cover.

The walls were marked with what looked like damp and there was a screw randomly sticking out of the wall. The bathroom was certainly a sight too. There was mould on the bath and the shower looked like something from WWII with the dirt to match.

The single glazing also meant that the flag pole on the roof was providing the soundtrack to the evening.

We didn't stick around much longer as we had certainly seen enough by this time. On the way out we noticed that the magnetic safety lock for the fire door was hanging out of the wall by its cables.

Whilst leaving our key on the way out the only thing to be found at the reception were an unattended pair of scissors.

Safe to say that you could not pay me to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Mearns P, General Manager at Swallow Glasgow, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. There are a number of points that you have highlighted that we can act upon immediately to ensure that your experience is not repeated. While I do not wish to hear of guest dissatisfaction, I welcome all feedback and this assists in our efforts to strive to provide the best experience for our guests.

I understand your frustration and be assured that your comments are taken seriously and acted on accordingly.

I shall of course instruct my finance team to arrange a full refund to you as timeously as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I'm truly sorry for any upset and inconvenience to you both.
kilmarnock ayrshire Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great value for money, pleasant staff, meals very good,
rooms clean and tidy, constant hot water, which can be
a problem, in many other hotels.
An older hotel, neverless, no real complaints,
rooms warm and comfortable
Secure car park, just check entrance prior too coming,
phone and ask staff.
wes/jacky.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for posting a review,
I shall pass on your comments regarding the staff, your satisfaction is always our main goal. We are redecorating though you will appreciate this does take time. I hope you will notice improvements on this on your next visit.
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Very cheap. Fit for a lads night out if your going to a match at Ibrox and for a booze up. Wall paper was coming of the walls. Bed hard as a rock and just as old as dirt. Not fit for couples as my wife won't ever let me forget. I will not return there ever again.

• Stayed September 2012
I'm sorry you feel negatively about the hotel. We do not claim to be the newest but we do strive to offer best service and value for money. I trust you will be able to review with this in mind.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Some people need to take something of a reality-check here. The Swallow, Glasgow, is a 3-star and it’s cheap. My fiancé and I stayed here for a long weekend at the end of October, and I think the total bill was about £130. Indeed, from reading different reviews on this site, it seems that the average person has paid around £40-£45 for a night’s stay. For that sort of money, your expectations should be in accordance with what you’re paying. That doesn’t mean a filth-ridden dive with holes in the bed sheets and fag ash on the stairwells and a sign in the foyer that reads ‘we book out rooms by the hour.’ But, by the same token, people who complain about, say, ‘ripped carpets’ and being given a stained towel need to take a bit of a look at themselves. I can assure them that there are many four star hotels dotted around the country with ripped carpets (I know this as I’ve stayed at some), and I bet even London’s Park Lane Sheraton has, in the past, issued a client with a dirty towel. If these types of things really, really bother you, get out your wallet, double (or treble) what you’re willing to pay and get back on Expedia. Your chances of satisfaction will be greater, but your bank balance will suffer.

And, by the by, the rips are only rather small and occasional – it’s the decision to have put carpet on the walls of the lift that really bothered me (my guess is that that was trendy in about 1974).

There are, in fact, quite a few plusses to the Swallow which many submitters have ignored. For starters, the location is sound. There’s a bus stop about 40 seconds’ walk outside which you can use to take you straight into the city centre - the busses are very frequent. There’s parking available too (wow!). Better still, the Glasgow underground is just a few minutes’ further up the street, and for a measly amount, you can catch a ride - about four minutes - straight into the city centre. If you don’t want to pay the restaurant prices, there are a range of fish and chip shops, mini markets and kebaberies dotted about the roadside along with a couple of small restaurants and bakeries. The Glasgow Rangers ground is also just up the road, and the staff seemed generally friendly and helpful. The restaurant inside the hotel is Ok. Again, don’t expect 5 star Michelin-quality cuisine, but it would rival the average Beefeater, and it doesn’t pretend to be anything it isn’t.

The room we stayed in was fine. Truly. It wasn’t the Savoy, but nor was it of how one might imagine a Hostel on the outskirts of Beirut to be either. Yes – shock horror! – the television looked as if it was purchased in about 1991 (probably because it was purchased in about 1991) but I hadn’t come all the way to Glasgow to watch TV and, besides, it still worked fine, even if someone had appeared to have nicked the remote). A major negative was that there didn’t ever appear to be hot water available until about 7am - however, I never spoke to the staff about this. There was plenty of storage space in the room, and whilst the bed would never win any awards for comfort, guess what - we could have spent more and got better. The linen was clean (I think) and whilst it was rather irritating to be awoken by the sounds of the lifts whirring up and down from the early hours of the morning, this is hardly the hotel’s fault and I’m sure they’d have moved us if I’d had complained. The bathroom was fine. Yeah, it was a little tatty and dated, but I tended to come out of it cleaner than I went in, and the bathtub and shower did their jobs more than adequately (after 7am anyway).

The restaurant bar is quite pricey, yes, but nobody’s forcing you to use it. As for the people who are criticising the breakfasts, I honestly wonder what planet they’re living on. The breakfasts are fine. There’s a buffet on offer every morning that consists of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, egg and plenty more. It’s self-service and everyone I ‘observed’ seemed to be enjoying it. If you have special requests – e.g. someone ordered porridge! – they’ll bring you it. If you fancy cereal or fruit, you’ve got it. Toast. You’ve got it. Fruit juices are there too.

Some people have commented that The Swallow is dated. It is dated. However, this year alone, I’ve stayed at other three star places, including the infamous Grosvenor in Torquay (used in Channel 4’s “The Hotel”) and whilst this is also a 3-star offering, I can confirm that The Swallow is seriously more comfortable (and cheaper). Indeed, as with the Grosvenor, my guess is that the money that would be needed to be spent on modernising the place would run into a small fortune, and, if what people say on here is true and that it is going through some serious financial difficulties, we need to, once again, take the rough with the smooth.

I’d recommend The Swallow if you’re visiting Glasgow - be realistic when you’re booking, and you’ll be pleased.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks. As you rightly commented our styling may be dated but we do our best to ensure you enjoy your stay with the best possible service. If we can achieve that along with good value for money then we have suceeded in our efforts. We manage to do this with c.2000+ room nights per month and I am very proud of the efforts of all the team in achieving this.
Hope to see you back soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel as part of a large party, booked on our behalf by another.

We checked in, the staff were very polite.
I wondered to my room and after a touch of hip / shoulder the door eventually opened. I was greeted by a dated but clean room.
I thought i'd freshen up prior to meeting the others in the lobby.
This is where the fun starts......the toilet door had a hole punched in it, there was mould climbing the walls and a tile missing from by the bath.
A little dejected I went into the main room, turned on the main light, broken. 1st bedside lamp, broken. 2nd bedside lamp, broken. Desk lamp, broken.
I sat on the bed to ponder my options and promptly rolled off as that was also broken.
I wondered down to reception and spoke to the chap on the desk. I went through the list of ailments that my room was suffering with, and asked if I may have a room that wasn't in such a poor state.
His response; 'I can't promise that.'

It was so bad it was funny. Don't waste your pennies guys.

• Stayed October 2012
Falkirk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just spent a night at the Swallow, nearly didnt though as I was very disapponited by the state of the hotel. Booking in was a poor affair, given no info by night staff. Carpet in lift and around the hotel was ripped and stuck down with tape! We found our room and I nearly walked straigt back out. The room was very small, mold on bedroom ceiling, only one thin duvet on bed. Road noise was terrible but lucky we always go equipped with ear plugs. Only fell asleep as we were so tired. Woken at 7.30am with fire alarm going off (know tis is not fault of hotel). Breakfast was shocking. Poor service, poor quality, try to avoid! When checking out found out that hotel is in recieversip and has been for 3yrs!!!! No money has been spent on hotel in a long time. VERY VERY poor value at £59 per night. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: No good rooms. Avoid