“A relaxing retreat in the centre of Glasgow” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Arthouse Glasgow

You added The Arthouse Glasgow to your Saves list
The Arthouse Glasgow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2SZ, Scotland (Formerly ArtHouse Hotel)   |
Ranked #52 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen
“A relaxing retreat in the centre of Glasgow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the Abode and on both occasions we have left with a very postiive impression. The hotel is unique with fantastic features and the rooms are comfortable and clean, and I loved the complementary toilitries.. An excellent location for shopping and visitng the centre of Glasgow and surprisingly quiet on a Saturday night when you would expect lots of noise at pub closing time. The staff were attentive, friendly and flexible and the food was excellent. We will definately be back during future visits to Glasgow. Parking can be a problem but there is a car park opposite and street parking is free on a Sunday.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

My wife & I booked this hotel for a one night stay ( 20 June ) to attend a concert in Glasgow. We were allocated room 115 ( read previous reviews May & June 2009, I wish I had before going ! ), one of the Abode's ' Comfortable ' rooms. The room was very small for what is a 4* hotel. I've since read a review posted 20/6/09 commenting on heavily stained curtains and ' air con ' not working, well guess what, one year on ( to the day ), the same stained curtains are there and the air con is still not working, which meant room was very warm and felt claustraphobic. The bathroom ceiling is water stained/damp, lights didn't work and grouting dirty.
If we'd been staying more than one night i would have asked to get moved. Anyway, we dropped our bags in the room ( no wardrobe ) and headed out. The fun really began when we arrived back after the concert after midnight. Around 12.30 am, hotel staff could be heard talking loudly outside our room, it then went quiet for a moment then a strange ' shuffling ' sound could be heard directly outside our room which went on for 10-15 mins. My wife was convinced someone was about to open our room door !
I eventually got up, dressed,and opened the room door to be confronted by the hotel DIY/decorator half way up a step ladder, stanley knife in hand, hanging wallpaper outside our room ( at 12.50 am ! ).He claimed he thought the room was empty whilst trying his best to see into the room where my wife was in bed. Anyway he was chased on his way and i went down to reception to complain and received a couple of blank expressions and vague apologies from the night staff.

By now i wished i was at home in my own bed, we ate breakfast ( no complaints there ) and checked out....ordeal over.

My wife complained in the morning again and the hotel manager has since offered a nights stay in an ' Enviable ' Room, ( as opposed to the UnEnviable room we had ). We declined this and they have now refunded the cost of the one night stay. So to there credit they did at least attempt to rectify the situation. To sum up, i wouldn't stay here again, but if you decide to go.....avoid room 115 and the midnight decorator !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
omgl1, Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
I must apologise for the noise disturbance that you encountered during your stay at ABode Glasgow.

Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your experience at Abode Glasgow, I am dissapointed that we will not get a future occasion we might get the opportunity to show to you how fabulous a Hotel we truly can be.

Kind Regards

David McLaughlin
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I used this hotel for an overnight stay in Glasgow. My boss booked it for me, but having eaten at the Abode hotel in Exeter i was fairly confident that the hotel would be good. Its located near the main shopping area in Glasgow but does have a busy main road running past it.

The hotel is a bit eccentric, with plenty of original features - the most original of which is the closing gate lift - not the most efficient but a great experience and added character to the stay.

The welcome was great, if a little repeated. My room was located on the 1st floor facing the road. The rooms are air-conditioned, although its not overly efficient as the ceilings are so high! The rooms are average in size but comfortable. Possibly not so good for a weeks stay!

The room was clean, as was the bathroom. You can open then the window to let some fresh city air in, but the bus's going past create plenty of noise! The bed was a good double at least and very comfortable - quite soft!

My colleague and I chose to eat in the bar, and not the Michael Caine restaurant. The bar appears a bit of a hotspot with local passers by. Peroni is served in draft, which ws very welcome after a long day travelling. The bar menu is quite diverse and the food was excellent, very recommended.

After a good nights sleep breakfast beckoned and it was good. A Scottish breakfast freshly cooked to your order. Service was a little slow despite having 4 staff on hand. The breakfast was good though. Checkout was smooth.

The Abode is a good hotel thats very different from the endless chains as its full of unusual character, recommended for a weekend break!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
omgl1, Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

I would like to thank you for giving valuable feedback to my team and I. It is through listening to our guests and acting upon their feedback, that will continue to make ABode Glasgow a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to ABode Glasgow in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks

David McLaughlin
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Decided to try this hotel to compare it with others nearby. I was on a £99 a night special deal, so I presume I wasn't getting one of the better rooms - at least I hope it wasn't, as it was pretty basic. Furniture looked worn and there was a stain on the carpet - not what I would have expected from a 4 star hotel. On the plus side, the shower was good and the bed was really comfy. Breakfast service was efficient, with good choice of hot food, freshly prepared. Disappointed that free wifi was limited to public areas. Would have thought that making it available in bedrooms was a given in most hotels nowadays. Didn't eat in the restaurant, as it was closed the day I arrived and though I had thought about booking in the following night, reception couldn't lay their hands on a copy of the a la carte menu for me to take a look at. Last month I paid only £5 more a night to stay in a 5 star place just up the road - a much better deal.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
ayrshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed here as a special occasion for my birthday at the end of march & paid more than we normally would for a night in glasgow and we were very dissapointed! thought the hotel would be of a high standard seeing as its a 4 star the room was supposed to be "desirable" howevere there was nothing desirable about it, there was no fride the room was very basic though it was roomy it was more like a large travelodge room we wont be returning here the only good point was the location! hardl;y worth paying over the odds for

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We moved to the Abode from another nearby hotel, where we'd had a bad experience. The Abode staff managed our booking very efficiently, especially as we booked last minute. They upgraded us to give us a better room to suit our needs, and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.

We dined at Michael Caines' - which was lovely. There was a great residents tasting menu, with a Vegetarian option for 18 GBP. The service was divine, and they recommended a nice wine pairing with our meal. Overall a great experience.

The breakfast was good, but the hot food (eggs) looked like it had been cooked in a dirty pan, and the eggs were nearly liquid. The next day we requested well done and a fresh pan and they were perfect.

Our room had 20' ceilings, a new modern bathroom, an LCD tv, coffee tea and bikkies, and a great painting doubling as the headboard.

We liked the crazy old gated elevator, but once in a while people leave it open, so you can't call it to a different floor. When this happened, a staff member ran to the other floor to organize the elevator for us, as we had luggage.

Overall a good experience. A bit pricey but not overly so, due to the location and what everyone else is charging.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

We stayed for one night on a winter warmer deal. The set menu on this deal is very limited and so i chose a main from the main menu which was a crab tempura. The batter was more of a dough than a crispy batter and was dripping with grease. I changed it for the Hake on the set menu and it was good enough but nothing special. The surroundings in the bar are tatty and in need of a refurb. After a few drinks we retired to bed. Then the nightmare started!! A noise like what can only be described as someone driling our wall began. It was coming from the wall behind the radiator or the radiator it was hard to tell. We turned the thermostat on the radiator and it stopped. One hour later, same again and we tried the same. About an hour and a half it started again so i phoned reception to be told that it happens a lot and the chap asked me if i could locate the problem!! He suggested it could be the radiator or the pipes behind and asked if we would like to move room. My other half decided he was for heading home so i suggested we stay put. If the radiator was on the highest setting the noise stopped so the room was unbearably hot even with the aircon on. In the morning we both had headaches and stuffy noses. I feel healthier at home....
Breakfast was fine although the waitress didnt write any of our requests down and came back with items missing from both our plates.
We handed in a completed customer satisfaction card to reception and have never heard a word!! Shocking night in what should be a lovely hotel. A good overhaul needed and new staff uniforms wouldnt go a miss.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
omgl1, Operations Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
I am appalled that this was your experience with us at ABode Glasgow and I will follow up every issue directly.

I have personally taken the time, to discuss in detail, your recent experience with our Executive and Head Chef's alongside or management team here at the hotel. They in turn have assured me that corrective measures are now in place to ensure that consistency within our kitchens and service is maintained.

I would encourage you to contact myself so we can discuss the points raised in more detail. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your experience at Abode Glasgow, perhaps on a future occasion we might get the opportunity to show to you how fabulous a Hotel we truly can be.

Been to The Arthouse Glasgow? Share your experiences!