I would love to be able to leave a tangible review of The Arthouse ,Glasgow but we never got to the stage of staying here last weekend.
I had originally booked this on-line a month ago as part of a Christmas shopping weekend tied in with a family celebration. The Tuesday before our stay I also phoned to confirm the booking as I wanted to ensure my plans were on track and to check what parking they offered.
Last Saturday we dropped our kids off at their Aunts for the weekend and looked forward to a child free weekend and relaxation. On arriving into Glasgow we decided to park the car and hit the shops straight away as we knew we would not be able to check in before 2pm.
Ironically it was around this time that I received a call "hello Mr Johnston, its Siobhan from The Arthouse, I'm calling regarding your booking tonight and sorry to say we've had a problem with our booking system and we don't have a room for you. But don't worry as I've been able to get you another room in a comparable hotel over the road, is this ok?"
Well clearly NOT! As I had already phoned to confirm the booking earlier in the week I was completely annoyed I was being told this at the 11th hour It certainly put a bit of a dampener on my plans.
Anyway, I informed Siobhan this wasn't acceptable as I had stayed in the alternative hotel before and had a bad experience, she would need to find something else.
After a 20 minute wait I got a call back to say, no this was all she could find but as long as we were happy to pay what we would have paid The Arthouse, they would cover the difference so was this ok?
Still no, so I asked rather then them pay the difference, why not pay for the full amount by way of an apology for screwing up our booking. Siobhan couldn't make this decision and said she would need to refer to her General Manager who (conveniently) was off until Tuesday but would try to get him on his mobile.
Another 20 mins and call back to say she had been unable to speak to him so would we again consider the original offer? If we did then she would ensure that David, the general manager, would phone me when he got back to work on Tuesday to make an arrangement for us to come back to the hotel another time at their expense.
Well to be honest, by this time we were in two minds of getting back in the car and scrapping the whole weekend but decided it was too late in the day and at least we did have a bed for the night.
It is now Friday (6/12) and almost a week since our visit to Glasgow and I haven't heard from David nor Siobhan since. So clearly they are not interested in creating a good impression of their organisation, how to use a negative situation to improve their customer service delivery or at base level show any empathy.
Having read a number of reviews since our experience I actually think we were saved from a rubbish experience anyway .... we will never know.
However, I do wonder now if there was really a problem with their booking system or (like a number of airlines) they had oversubscribed hoping some bookings fell off nearer the time.
So to David and Siobhan and all at The Arthouse, thank you for your complete disregard and spoiling our weekend away.
My recommendation to anyone considering this hotel is to proceed with caution and even if you think you have a booking because you made it on-line AND spoke to a human being you may still not have a bed for the night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Abode Glasgow reflects the citys own modern renaissance, combining striking traditional architechture with the most exciting contemporary design. Located in the heart of the city, within a five minute walk of Glasgows main railway stations and a short drive from the M8 motorway, So whether your here to shop Glasgows famous style mile or visiting on business Abode Glasgow is the perfect choice for a truly fabulous stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Arthouse Glasgow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Abode Glasgow Hotel Glasgow
- Glasgow Abode Hotel
- The Arthouse Glasgow Scotland