“Ruined Weekend - don't ever arrange to stay here - phantom bookings” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Arthouse Glasgow

Save Saved
You added The Arthouse Glasgow to your Saves list
The Arthouse Glasgow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2SZ, Scotland (Formerly ArtHouse Hotel) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #50 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Ruined Weekend - don't ever arrange to stay here - phantom bookings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I would love to be able to leave a tangible review of The Arthouse ,Glasgow but we never got to the stage of staying here last weekend.

I had originally booked this on-line a month ago as part of a Christmas shopping weekend tied in with a family celebration. The Tuesday before our stay I also phoned to confirm the booking as I wanted to ensure my plans were on track and to check what parking they offered.

Last Saturday we dropped our kids off at their Aunts for the weekend and looked forward to a child free weekend and relaxation. On arriving into Glasgow we decided to park the car and hit the shops straight away as we knew we would not be able to check in before 2pm.

Ironically it was around this time that I received a call "hello Mr Johnston, its Siobhan from The Arthouse, I'm calling regarding your booking tonight and sorry to say we've had a problem with our booking system and we don't have a room for you. But don't worry as I've been able to get you another room in a comparable hotel over the road, is this ok?"

Well clearly NOT! As I had already phoned to confirm the booking earlier in the week I was completely annoyed I was being told this at the 11th hour It certainly put a bit of a dampener on my plans.

Anyway, I informed Siobhan this wasn't acceptable as I had stayed in the alternative hotel before and had a bad experience, she would need to find something else.

After a 20 minute wait I got a call back to say, no this was all she could find but as long as we were happy to pay what we would have paid The Arthouse, they would cover the difference so was this ok?

Still no, so I asked rather then them pay the difference, why not pay for the full amount by way of an apology for screwing up our booking. Siobhan couldn't make this decision and said she would need to refer to her General Manager who (conveniently) was off until Tuesday but would try to get him on his mobile.

Another 20 mins and call back to say she had been unable to speak to him so would we again consider the original offer? If we did then she would ensure that David, the general manager, would phone me when he got back to work on Tuesday to make an arrangement for us to come back to the hotel another time at their expense.

Well to be honest, by this time we were in two minds of getting back in the car and scrapping the whole weekend but decided it was too late in the day and at least we did have a bed for the night.

It is now Friday (6/12) and almost a week since our visit to Glasgow and I haven't heard from David nor Siobhan since. So clearly they are not interested in creating a good impression of their organisation, how to use a negative situation to improve their customer service delivery or at base level show any empathy.

Having read a number of reviews since our experience I actually think we were saved from a rubbish experience anyway .... we will never know.

However, I do wonder now if there was really a problem with their booking system or (like a number of airlines) they had oversubscribed hoping some bookings fell off nearer the time.

So to David and Siobhan and all at The Arthouse, thank you for your complete disregard and spoiling our weekend away.

My recommendation to anyone considering this hotel is to proceed with caution and even if you think you have a booking because you made it on-line AND spoke to a human being you may still not have a bed for the night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
David M, General Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Neillybeg,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Tripadvisor review.

I do agree that our overbooking situation resulted in a less than perfect weekend for you and I am sorry this was the case.

Please be assured that it is not our policy at The Arthouse to 'oversubscribe' our bedrooms, unfortunately on occasions hotels do end up overbooked and it is policy to find alternative accommodation on a par or above the standard of room and hotel booked and I can honestly say this is the policy for hotels which I have worked at throughout the years.

I would not like this to be your lasting impression of The Arthouse as outlined in my letter of which I will send out today for your attention.

Kind Regards

David McLaughlin

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed at the Arthouse with a friend to do some Christmas shopping. Good shopping location, lovely exterior & interior but overall disappointing. Receptionist wasn't particularly forthcoming on arrival, room was ok but fairly standard with a small and, in my opinion, drab bathroom. One of the beds had ripped bedding. No minibar or fridge in room, tea/coffee facilities but only one of each so we can to ask a maid for more. Toiletries were nice but found the room dated and bare. We didn't eat in the hotel but stopped into the bar for a drink when we arrived back at night. Bar was poor, not a good choice of drinks (I got my 3rd choice), only 1 white/red wine by the glass. Tables had not been cleaned from dinnertime - old cutlery on tables with spilt condiments. Had 1 drink and left to sit in room. Was woken up twice during the night with people emptying bins in the lane below our bedroom window & then finally by the maid at 8.50am. We hadn't put a 'do not disturb on' to be fair but didn't expect an 8.50 housekeeping visit. Overall was not great, would not return/recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here for two nights recently. The first night we were in a rather small room, with a bed on wheels that decided to move around the room (and ruck up the carpet) at the merest touch. We mentioned this to the front desk and asked if we could move rooms on the second night. They happily oblidged and in fact upgraded us to a junior suite. Wow!

The hotel decor is lovely, and the old style elevator an attraction in itself.

Had an excellent breakfast - couldn't eat it all in fact.

Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed with a colleague last week here and overall impressed. Slept well and traditional Scottish breakfast was first class. Room clean and comfortable - pillows (always an issue for me) were fine here.

Booked a wake up call - not sure if the phone wasn't working properly in room 101 or I slept through it but was really impressed that someone came to the door to check about 2 or 3 minutes later - so I didn't oversleep for a crucial meeting - appreciated the extra effort the staff went to.

Want a place for a comfortable and decent nights sleep and a proper breakfast? I'd recommend

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We booked via last minute.com so this could be the reason why we didn’t have great service. But the room we were given, seemed very nice on first impressions, that was until we needed to have a nap during the day (early start and lots of driving from London) My fiancé’s side of the bed had a massive spring sticking out and there was no way we could stay in that bed. I called the reception and asked to move rooms and was told they would get right back to me. After an hour I called back again and they said they had tried to call back but there must be a problem with the phone? They managed to find us a room, next door that was available for us and I had to come all the way back to reception to get the swap the keys over. No assistance from them what so ever!
Upon moving to the new room, it appears we had been downgraded. The room was a lot smaller than the original room and felt very cramped. I would have requested another room, but all trouble we had to go through, just didn’t seem worth it.

I personally would not stay here again, the rooms very dull and nothing exciting about them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would stay at the Art House for every future visit to Glasgow!! The staff were so helpful, the rooms were great - comfortable and very clean! The breakfast was delicious!!! Very central location on Bath Street and has a taxi rank directly across the street.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here many nights over a 6 month period. Great staff and location. Love the style of this place. Lovely comfortable beds. N excellent location to explore Glasgow with many great restaurants nearby. Always enjoy returning to this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Arthouse Glasgow? Share your experiences!