“Lovely place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Arthouse Glasgow

You added The Arthouse Glasgow to your Saves list
The Arthouse Glasgow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bath Street, Glasgow G2 2SZ, Scotland (Formerly ArtHouse Hotel)   |
Ranked #53 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed here overnight very warm welcome Rooms are a decent size but need a bit of tlc in places and the hospitality tray needs normal coffee not just decaf the staff were all friendly and helpful could do with a couple of sofas to relax on in bar area breakfast was a good selection and well presented .i would stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Brilliant hotel situated right in the heart of Glasgow. Room was large and very clean with modern decor. Public areas are decorated beautifully too. Breakfast was included in our stay - and was really nice.

Above all, the staff were very professional and really helpful - we arrived early, before our check-in time to get ready for a wedding and the staff were so understanding. We were given a room within ten minutes - they really went all out to help us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Nothing bad at all to say. I loved my week here on business. The room was large, the bed comfortable and cosy, staff so helpful and polite and great breakfasts. I would suggest asking for a room on the back as it was a little noisy.

• Stayed September 2013
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by a client for business for 2 nights. It is handily located in a central street £3.60 taxi ride from central station and my trip was after midnight when I arrived). The public areas are wonderful. ; an old cage lift with a magnificent staircase and unusual Scots décor. Staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Breakfast was nicely cooked (Scots breakfast including haggis, potato scone or a choice of kippers, eggs benedict or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in addition to the continental breakfast. Room was comfortable but lacked a bit of wardrobe/drawer space ( one hanger so nowhere to hang trousers which was tolerable as a single visitor but would be an issue for a couple or if staying more than a few days). Nice touch was the filter coffee facilities in a cupboard under the bed although reaching the kettle to plug it in in the low cupboard did require a contortionist's skills. They don't have an evening restaurant but have an arrangement with the excellent Italian next door ( Frateli Sarti) to recharge back to the hotel. Bath St isn't overly quiet at night (Glasgow's legendary drunks abound!) but it has double glazing and thick curtains. Overall this hotel isn't a luxury hotel but it is of a very good standard for a weekend away or a business trip (free Wi-Fi).

Room Tip: Not on the front at a weekend
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is my 140th review on TA and the first time I have given a score of 1 - I rarely go below 3 as I believe most places are trying hard to offer a service. Not here !
The title of this review is a direct quote from a letter I received from the chair of the Glasgow Hoteliers association. This was in response to a letter I sent regarding the experience I had a couple of weeks ago of booking and paying for a room via Trivago, and on arrival being told that the booking was cancelled as the booking was via a 3rd party that had gone 'burst'. As far as I can determine Abode must have cancelled the booking - but did not inform me !
The attitude of 2 of the members of staff I dealt with was appalling.
Glasgow seems to have been full to capacity that night ( does make me wonder how they will cope with the Commonwealth Games ?) The Hotel staff were more than prepared to leave myself and my teenage daughter to walk the streets on a cold wet night with many drunk and rowdy football fans around. I have since written to several people about this experience as it was so traumatic ( and to raise the question of a) standards of customer service and b)emergency planning when things go wrong)
I wrote first to the Hotel Manager and the parent company, Brownsword Hotels. Neither has replied, so I can only conclude that the abysmal approach to customer service runs through this group.
I must mention that a third person, a receptionist who we saw when we returned to the hotel to pick up our bags and return to Edinburgh ( thank goodness we were not from afar) was the only person to spontaneously apologise and to offer assistance. I strongly suggest she takes her skills elsewhere - the other reviews on this site reinforce my view that this hotel is not performing adequately.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David M, General Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me personally via the hotel association. I have of course replied by email and by letter detailing a response to your feedback.
It does disappoint me that you have taken to Tripadvisor to write your feedback regarding a cancelled reservation via a third party website.
As outlined within my letter and email, your third party agent went into administration and a blanket cancellation was sent to all hotels to cancel individual bookings, due to data protection we received no contact details of guests other than names and special requests and where unable to contact prior to arrival to advise that the administrators cancelled your booking with us and in good faith believed that you had been contacted as outlined in the attachment that was sent to you.
My team and I take all feedback constructively and as explained to you in writing, I would not like the lack of service received via your booking agent to have a lasting impression on your experience of The Arthouse and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Kind Regards

David McLaughlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed for one night and that was enough! The grand, stylish reception and staircase area raised expectations that we had chosen well but the room quickly changed this view! Small, dingy, bland furnishings - the tiniest bathroom I have ever seen - the badly-fitting worn carpet was a trip hazard - the door to the bathroom didn't close properly - very disappointing! Good location, pleasant staff, nice breakfast - but the room let it down for us

• Stayed September 2013
David M, General Manager at The Arthouse Glasgow, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Kathlmo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to my team and I here at The Arthouse, I'm disappointed that I did not get the chance to discuss with you in person your recent stay whilst you where resident with us. I have recently taking over the position of General Manager of the property, I encourage and welcome all feedback in person so that I can act and improve on our overall guest experience.

I'd be delighted to discuss your stay with you and the planned maintenance we have here for 2014.

Kind Regards.

David McLaughlin
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I frequently travel to Glasgow and for the first time decided to stay at this hotel. It is centrally located and seemed a good choice. It has a sort of art deco vibe to it, and has a lovely old lift. We arrived there quite late at night, and when we got to our room we were met by a really unpleasant smell. It was sort of chemically, but really strong. It was hard to believe that it had been left like that for someone to sleep in. We opened the windows to try to air the place and then couldn't get to sleep for the noise.We mentioned it the next morning at reception. The response was apologetic and informed us that 'bleach tablets' get put down the toilet which can cause a smell. we requested that the windows were left open throughout the day to avoid this happening again. When we returned later, the smell had returned, but as the windows had been left open it was less nauseating. The room was large, but paintwork poor and really below par for a hotel in this price bracket. We had one complimentary bottle of water that was not replaced when emptied and same for the coffees. There was no reduction in price offered, but we left knowing that we will never go back there again. Do yourself a favour-go to the Marriott instead!

Room Tip: Don't bother. This pretentiously named hotel is a waste of money.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Arthouse Glasgow? Share your experiences!